Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do

I also read they backup your bitlocker private key on Onedrive for you. How nice of them...

Have you read the part about the wifi sharing?   I still don't know if it is by default or not, but there is an option that if enabled, 

And if someone is near enough to "hear" your wifi, and is also running windows 10.

The systems chat, and your computer looks up that user's email in your various contacts.  If it finds them in your contacts (even if filed under "child molester stalker") it then automatically connects their system to your wifi.

Imagine a neighbor in wifi range now uses your fast internet instead of their slow dsl -- until you get the bill if it's metered.  

Nice -- thanks Microsoft.  It was SO hard sharing that password manually.

It doesn't work like that.
The neighbour has to have access to your SSID LAN and your password. This is up to your router, not your PC O/S.

My Windows 10 systems don't know the password to manage my routers.

LarrylLix said:
The neighbour has to have access to your SSID LAN and your password.

That's exactly what Windows 10 shares with your contacts. It's called Wi-Fi Sense. The whole point of the feature is to allow your contacts to connect to your network without you having to give them the network password. If you search for information about it on the internet, you will find articles titled "Windows 10 does not share your SSID and password with your contacts" but then if you read these articles, you find that their idea of not sharing is that the SSID and password are provided in an encrypted format to your contacts. Even encrypted, it is still sharing. Somewhere down the line, the OS will decrypt this information to connect to the network.

LarrylLix said:
My Windows 10 systems don't know the password to manage my routers.

And in addition to zenoparadox's answer, note this is the wifi password not the router config password and of course it knows the password, as you typed it in when you connected the first time. 

You might be interested in the second half of this opinion piece on CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/04/opinions/gosier-microsoft-windows-10/) specifically where they say 

At this point, Microsoft's operating system ships with a lot of services that users are already familiar with and dependent upon (e.g., OneNote, Outlook, Word, Excel). Windows 10 makes it clear that anything you do in these apps can (and likely will) be scanned, parsed, and sold to advertisers. Your emails, messages and documents -- nothing is off limits.

I can't vouch for how true that statement is, but I certainly know they have been pushing more and more to have everything you do tied to a registered email, and also simultaneously to automatically saving things in the cloud.

Remember, for most individuals its probably free -- Microsoft is not a charity.  There's got to be some business plan to monetize all those new "free' copies given out.  Call me a cynic.  Go ahead, I can take it.  

You need to read about WiFi Sense and how it actually works not some fear-mongering Linux user's imagination of how it will destroy the world. :)

Wi-Fi Sense is designed to increase your network security by allowing the user to give out, voluntarily, an encrypted password that allows access through your WiFi to the Internet and not your computers or files. This is instead of giving people your current password which they can get access to your whole LAN network as well as the Internet.

First of all, you don't have to search it out and enable it.
Secondly if you don't want people to have access to your Internet via your WiFi, then don't invite them to use it by issuing them an encrypted password.

I am not running Windows 10, but can you elaborate?   The descriptions I saw say that if turned on, the check and hand-off of the encrypted password is automatic, i.e. you are not asked each time such a password is to be handed out.  Is that true? 

So for example, if I turn the feature on because my friend Bob stops by, and Joe (who is not my friend but a bum who lives next door, but is in my contact list), the reports I read said Joe can then use my Wifi as well (if reception is adequate).

Not true? 

Again, I am repeating what I read, I do not know and am curious if someone who has it can confirm who it really works.

Continue to read more sites. There is a ot of BS out there.

From what I can make out from briefly reading some site that seem more knowledgeable this system can be enabled so that when you befriend people on facebook they will automatically receive this encrypted password key. Now when they come to your house they will automatically have access to your Internet via WiFi without ever knowing your password.

If you change your password they will receive an automatic update via the key file.

If you don't want them to have access you just remove them  from your access list.

Most newer routers support this idea already. A guest SSID gives this restricted access. My NetGear router does this. I like to hange the SSID from time to time with neighbourhood wisecracks like "SuchnSuch St. sucks" or "CocaineSupplier" or "FreeWiFi". I get the occasional feedback but nobody knows who is doing it.  My NetGear router WiFi can be seen for half a km. :)

LarrylLix said:
Continue to read more sites. There is a ot of BS out there.

OK, here's an interesting one from Network World, a reasonably respectable source, and the title speaks for itself but it is an interesting read: http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956393/windows/microsoft-windows-10-wi-fi-sense-an-astoundingly-bad-idea.html

Notably in it is the statement that it is turned on by default if you use Express Settings, though you also have to say it is OK to share with your friends, at which point apparently it uses Outlook.Com, Skype, and Facebook (you choose). But you can NOT determine which of your individual contacts can share, so if you let Bob in and he's in your Outlook.Com contacts, and Joe is there also, he's golden.  So make sure only your trustworthy friends are in your contacts!

Here's the word directly from Microsoft: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/wi-fi-sense-faq

An interesting aspect of this is that apparently it can work by accident for you.  Say you have a network and are happily running Windows 8 or XP or something, and have nothing to do with Windows 10 and never heard of WiFi Sense.  You know, like 80% of people.  Your friend Mary comes over, and you share your password with Mary, as you always have.  Now if Mary is running Windows 10 and is the sharing type, then Mary's friends can use your network as well.  This kind of accidental sharing by the uninformed is probably more of a concern for corporate or other institutional users.  Microsoft's answer is change your SSID to include _optout, which of course presumes you even knew you opted in by, well, just existing.

The core issue is that Microsoft designs for user convenience and features first, and security is somewhere in the also ran. They have improved dramatically over recent years in some regards, but they continue to make default behavior risky, rather than making people CHOOSE risky behavior.  Because, frankly, most people prefer that.

During my Windows 10 installation  I was asked several times about sharing my information to which I responded, "No".

Data sharing is definitely becoming a problem for the general public. Google is probably the worst and scariest so far and with motion sensors in people's house now everywhere.

A very close person to me has had to terminate several people due to online stuff they posted. The younger crowd these days is too stupid posting all this facebook crap and details about themselves. It never goes away and can prevent them getting or keeping jobs many years later. Sort of like getting tattoos all over your body and others just think "moron, can't think two minutes into the future" .... forever!

Many companies, these days, spend time researching people online before hiring.

"Always remember 'Google is Skynet!'"

....John Connor

Now you convinced me to update today Larry.

The computer I updated is a single purpose for an automation touchscreen using Microsoft SAPI, multi touch screen and the Kinect.

Been procrastinating on this specific PC now for a few months.

It took 9 minutes to download the 2009.5 MB Windows 10 Update (preparing installation part).  Curious how long it will take to update to Windows 10.

Curious if you had a pleasant experience with your update?

W10Update.jpg

Update was free and easy as pie. Win 10 absorbed everything I have installed and did it well. No complaints yet.

It does take a few hours and they warn you.

Win 10 seems to run very smooth and slightly faster than 7. On the surface everything looks like a step back into the 80s though. Black and grey windows frames, square corners, no see through nonsense to confuse a multitasker user. There is some extra stuff on the start popup menu which I have ignored so far.

I haven't managed to find any screen object adjustments yet like adding a little colour back into frame bars...maybe light blue title bar like the old days? I would think it will be somewhere but maybe the copied some stuff from Windows Starter and just relieved Windows from some of bloated slow-down gadgets. I never jumped for Win 8 so from Win 7 I don't notice much of a change except a bit smoother screen animations, reminding me they stole the GUI from MacIntosh.

Thank you Larry.

Just did the customization stuff.  Noticed that the Next button is large where as the customization stuff is just a tiny link on the page that is very easily missed.  Just noticed that I lost the Ethernet driver.  Updated driver and all is well.

Just noticed this a few minutes ago here.

Microsoft's rollup patch KB3081424 ties together all of the major incremental updates to Windows 10 since the OS went live last week.

mark_h-100039378-byline.jpg

Mark Hachman | @markhachman
Senior Editor, PCWorld

Windows 10 users, save all your work before logging out today. Microsoft is rolling out a major patch today and tonight that will force a system restart.

What’s known as “KB3081424” is a cumulative or “rollup” patch, tying together all of the major incremental updates that have already been applied to Windows 10 since the “release” version went live last week.

windows-10-update-100601184-large.png

The page listing the downloads goes on and on, though what you’ll actually receive varies with how up-to-date your PC already is. When I manually asked for the update, it completed in a minute or two over a standard broadband connection. If you recently updated to Windows 10, some of these updates may have already been part of your upgrade.
Some are calling this the SR1 rollup, a name that's been used to signify the massive “Day 0” patch that Microsoft was originally expected to release. Because the KB3081424 update does apparently include recent code (some of the files have early August release dates), it’s fair to say that most PCs will receive something new.

In any event, Microsoft warns that your PC will restart. And because many of you are probably running Windows 10 Home, you won’t have the option of deferring your update. (Windows generally picks the middle of the night to apply patches.)

Why this matters: If you’re using, say, Excel Online, which saves as you go, you won’t have to worry about losing your work. Ditto for Microsoft Office, or any application where autosaving is enabled. But if you’re working in an ancient Web app, or prefer to save your file manually as you go, or simply need your PC to stay up and running all night, be aware that Microsoft thinks differently. A forced restart isn’t something to panic about, but it is something to be aware of, especially as some Windows 10 updates now can’t be deferred.

Back