Will a 2-post open rack suffice?

Most servers designed to be rack mounted with sliding rails, attach in 4 places, hence the necessity for a 4-post (or full) rack. You can also purchase sliding shelves that attach in 4 locations, providing additional load capability. They are typically referred to as cabinets, assuming they have paneled sides.

IMO, using a 4 post rack wastes space, unless you need the extra 2 posts for mounting rack mount servers. I have a 2-post, and it does everything I need, and I can easily get behind it. The extra 2 posts would just get in the way for me.

If you really wanna mess with the power strip, use a drill-bit just slightly larger than the hole in the center of the rivet - that'll basically chew the core out without making the hole any bigger. Then as long as it's clear inside, you could possible screw it back together with the right sized screws, or re-rivet it if you have a rivet gun. The dremel would probably take too long unless you used a cone-shaped grinding stone - the drill will only take a couple seconds per rivet. They're just made of thin aluminum.

Judging purely by the picture, those don't look like standard server-depth racks, so they might be a little easier to work with - as long as you have ample room front & back - but it doesn't look like you're going for a show-piece, so it's purely a matter of opinion. Given how hard it is to get those types of parts in your area - work with what you've got!

Generally the benefit of a 4 post rack is for mounting heavy items that need support front and back. Generally this is done with rails. For example i am designing my system that will have 3 rack mounted PC's. (NAS, Video/Sage Server, CQC/Audio Server) as well as an Extron Matrix switch, KVM for controlling the 3 Servers, 24 port switch, as well as a LCD mounted to a Filler Plate. The cabinet I am looking at has doors to keep everything protected. This is in addition to all the standard patch panels, etc. The space needed adds up quick

I agree that space fills up quickly. Especially if you space items out for air flow. I've just started installing hardware at my parents house. They have a full size rack in the basement and I've already filled it up. I have a B&K CT600 whole house amp (similar to a Russound), two Integra HT receivers, a Autopatch HD matrix switch, computer, battery backup, two Sage HD extenders, a 24 port gigabit switch and other misc network equipment (router, print server, several USB and KLM extenders, etc). I've left a bit of space between all the equipment that needs air flow and it has filled up the rack space. So I've had to mount my cat5e and coaxial patch panels on the wall behind the rack.

So don't be too quick to get rid of the 2nd (or third) rack ;).

Oh, I'm in no hurry to get rid of any of it. Especially because where I live, I'm highly unlikely to find a buyer on craigslist for any of it. Small town and all that.

I'm probably going to use at least the full rack instead of the 2 post rack, if for no other reason than the extra space inside it makes for some good cable management area. Space in the wiring room isn't an issue. in fact, I may just choose to use the full rack for all equipment, and use the 2 post rack for all patch panels.

it sounds like you already have your rack.. but for others...
you are correct in that the equpment is mounted only to the front posts of a 4 post rack. However you can buy these horizontal wires (they have some 'fancy' name - maybe lacer or lancer) that connect to the back posts and can be used to tie up your wires. I have a two post rack and my nuvo wires are a little messy because I have no way in the back to secure.. otherwise I think the 2 post is just as good.

Oh, I'm in no hurry to get rid of any of it. Especially because where I live, I'm highly unlikely to find a buyer on craigslist for any of it. Small town and all that.

I'm probably going to use at least the full rack instead of the 2 post rack, if for no other reason than the extra space inside it makes for some good cable management area. Space in the wiring room isn't an issue. in fact, I may just choose to use the full rack for all equipment, and use the 2 post rack for all patch panels.

Well, I did manage to separate the 2 full racks, so I now have 2 4-post racks and 1 2-post rack. I have SO much more equipment to buy on ebay now.... ("Hey, does that toilet paper holder come in a rackmount version??") I think for my wife's birthday I'm going to give one of them to her, just so I have an excuse to say "Hey, nice rack!".

I also discovered that there are something that looks kind of like shelf holder things....they're flat grey "bars" that do indeed extend out, but I don't know what is supposed to attach to them. I'll post a pic later. Seems like they'd be useful to use, if I knew what could use them.

So, anyone have any idea what these do?

pic002.jpg

I've got 3 sets of these, and I can't tell what is supposed to attach to them. They'd be handy to use for a shelf, if nothing else...but I can't see where I'd attach even a piece of plywood!

So, anyone have any idea what these do?

pic002.jpg

I've got 3 sets of these, and I can't tell what is supposed to attach to them. They'd be handy to use for a shelf, if nothing else...but I can't see where I'd attach even a piece of plywood!

I have seen APC UPS brackets which look similar.

Hmm...well, that'd make sense, being big server racks, and all the slideouts are at the bottom.

I was hoping they were more generic than that. Any suggestions on how to use these??

Usually those types of slides are very product specific. Even the server sliders seem to be different for every case.

It would be relatively easy to make a shelf out of that. Use some 1x1 or 2x2 material and attach it to the inside of the slider with some screws (as long as they will clear everything when it is slid in which might be tight given the looks of it). Then place the shelf on top of those pieces of wood.

Since you can't solder, I assume you can't weld so doing it out of metal is probably out ;)

(I cannot weld either, but thought I would poke some fun at you).

Heh...ya, believe me, I don't have the tools or bravery to attempt the big-brother of soldering.

I thought about screws too, and agree, it'll be a tight fit. Some kind of counter-sunk screw I guess. *shrug* sounds as good as anything. If I went to such efforts to salvage the power strip that came with the racks, I'll probably do the same with these "shelves".

If you send those to me I'll weld some angle to the insides of them so you can just lay something atop to act as a shelf.

Whatever those where supposed to be used for it must have been rather light, they look like they might fit my servers but they have no ball bearings slides so actually having them slide would be a complete PITA.

Also you can take angle and just cut it to the depth you need, put a strip of that polyproplene slide material on the top and mount it on the inside mounts, the case would then slide in on top of the angle on the poly and make it much easier to install and remove them but cost next to nothing if you buy the angle as scrap. Also walmart has a large poly cutting board you could cut up for the low CoF poly material, thats enough to make proably 5 slides worth.

See attachment:

Attachments

• cheap_rack_slides.jpg
    cheap_rack_slides.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 19
Ya, I think welded angle is the answer. That will give the most flexibility of use. I may have a friend nearby who can do that, but if not then I'll keep you in mind, Collin.

That's true, not having bearings might suck a bit. I'll have to dump some oil in the bottom channel. And I'm only looking at doing shelves on these, so there wont' be a lot of weight holding it down.

Back