What To Do about DirecTV?

FYI, when I purchased my D* tuner from BestBuy and called to activate it, they told me that it was also considered a "lease". All I did was save the $20 shipping charge.

Seemed entirely suspect to me, but it wasn't worth the energy to fight it.

I'm not a 100% sure but I think they take care of some maintance with the lease and this equipment becomes outdated so fast that leasing may be better than owning. Maybe?

i doubt it; it's not that expensive (HD receiver is $100). if it breaks, i think you have to buy a new one.

1. You don't need to have the new HD DVRs connected to phone or internet to get any updates.

Kevin

I'm still not clear on this... Do the new boxes get data from the satellite feed to build the guide for OTA/basic cable stations? And how do they authorize PPV purchases?

HR20 = silver DVR with onboard OTA HD tuner
HR21 = black DVR w/o onboard tuner

I don't need an OTA HD tuner since there are no OTA signals available to me. I do need a standard cable-ready tuner for basic cable + internal modulated channels. I use basic cable as a backup for network feeds and local school closing info. The Sony HD300 does a super job of blending the cable/modulator channels with the satellite channels. I don't want to go to separate inputs on the TV for cable vs satellite because it would confuse Grandma and be a giant step backwards in general system usability. I assume all the DirecTV boxes include basic OTA/cable tuners even if they don't all have built-in HD tuners, right?

1. You don't need to have the new HD DVRs connected to phone or internet to get any updates.

Kevin

I'm still not clear on this... Do the new boxes get data from the satellite feed to build the guide for OTA/basic cable stations? And how do they authorize PPV purchases?
All guide and software updates are over the satellite. You'll get your local OTA stations in the guide, also, but not cable stations. I've never ordered PPV, but I believe you have to have a phone or internet connection to get PPV. If you don't or won't connect your box, you can order PPV online at the DirecTV website.

You are just going to have to bite the bullet, go with the new setup completely or dump it for cable or Dish. I have had the "new" DTV HD setup for over a year now and had to give up my Tivo to do it. I had concerns, but the new DVR is not bad. It is worth it to get all the stations in HD and to get my locals over SAT in HD. Plus there are other features to the box if you connect an ENET cable. You can use it to browse photos, music, videos from a PC and even download PPV movies over your ethernet connection. Also, you can add an external SATA drive for more space. And it does have serial control, but I don't think the protocol is the same as the old boxes. I was happy there was already a CQC driver for it.

I concur with what was said above about the install. Only 4 coax needed. One thing to be careful of is the multiswitch you use. I had one and had bought another that worked in my Superpro panel. Neither supported the frequencies of the new setup. The installer brought one, and a quick search on the net, showed that only that one model of multiswitch worked at the time for the new setup. Also, it didn't require external power which was a nice bonus. The dish is much larger than the old one and will not fit on the old post so that has to be replaced. It has two front legs needed to help support it in high winds that must be bolted to the roof.

So you are probably better off just letting DTV install it, since they will bring the right equipment and accessories for free. You can choose how much you let them do. On my first install, I had an idiot, so I just let him align the dish and I did the rest. My last install with the HD setup and HR20 I had an excellent installer so I let him do a lot more.

FYI, when I purchased my D* tuner from BestBuy and called to activate it, they told me that it was also considered a "lease". All I did was save the $20 shipping charge.

Seemed entirely suspect to me, but it wasn't worth the energy to fight it.

My understanding is that own vs. lease is nothing more than an accounting trick to make the numbers look better. Giving away or heavily discounting boxes appears to be cash flow out. But if you lease the boxes then you can carry them on your balance sheet as equipment. No appearance of cash out.

... and I agree with you. If I give Best Buy money and they give me a box, how can DirecTV then claim you don't own it?

... and I agree with you. If I give Best Buy money and they give me a box, how can DirecTV then claim you don't own it?
Confusing because Best Buy is typically associated with buying items just like that. But the D* stuff can be thought of as going to the local hardware rental shop, or car rental place. You pay, they give you equipment and then when you are done you return it. Except in this case there is no 'due date'.

So they called me on the phone tonight (in the middle of dinner) and really pushed me to schedule the upgrade. I asked a few more questions and then said OK, when do you want to do it... The girl on the phone said Saturday AUGUST 30 between 12 and 4PM. I asked HER if that was really the first available appointment and she "no, you don't understand. That is the ONLY available appointment!" I asked what would happen if that wasn't good for me and she had no idea. That one date and time was the only one her scheduling calendar would show her!

I'm surprised - they were very flexible working with me. They were here within a couple days. Must just be the location and # of installers they have in the area.

Gents,

Which satelite supplier and which receiver is serial controllable again? I got StageTV with UBSUIRT controlling a Comsast digital tuner now and am not liking the lag in channel surfing, hoping that serial control will be much faster and I may switch to satelite anyway.

I've cranked up the IR transmission speed in SagetV quite high and the Comcast box hasn't missed a reception yet, but it still takes about 1-2 seconds to change channels...which gets annoying when you add it to the delay already caused by SageTV itself.

I am hoping to get HD dish at the new house and hook 2 receivers up via serial control from SageTV server....but can't remeber or find the posts that mention which company (Dish Network or Direct TV) and which tuner to get.

DirecTV has serial controllable tuners if you use the Patersontech.com cable. Check their site for a list of which receivers it claims to work with.

IVB is right. But I doubt you will still be happy surfing with it. I have 3 serially controlled, and there is still a big lag... caused by Sage. It has to tune the satellites, record to disk, then start displaying. It's not fast...

If I have to surf (never), I have a seperate DirecTV receiver used by babysitters and in-laws that gets used.

IVB is right. But I doubt you will still be happy surfing with it. I have 3 serially controlled, and there is still a big lag... caused by Sage. It has to tune the satellites, record to disk, then start displaying. It's not fast...

If I have to surf (never), I have a seperate DirecTV receiver used by babysitters and in-laws that gets used.

There is very little on TV that is worth time shifting anymore so surfing the movie channels and etc. is my primary mode of operation. One of my biggest concerns is that the new boxes I get from DirecTV won't be fast enough even in direct use. (I remember how bad the old RCA stuff was before I got the Sony HD300). Quick respons is the most important feature to me (in shopping for universal remotes, many otherwise nice units got rejected by me just because they transmit commands too slowly) Does anybody know if the new Sat boxes have a quick response when used directly?

Back