What kind of light switch paddle do you prefer?

Steve

There are two primary switch paddle configurations in use today, the rocker and the toggle. The rocker is similar to a typical manual decora light switch but it is 'return to center'. You press the top to turn the light on or brighten and the paddle return to the center/neutral position or press the bottom to turn the light off or dim and again the paddle returns to the center/neutral position. The toggle is usually a flat plate where you press anywhere on the plate to toggle the light on or off, or you press and hold the paddle anywhere to 'cycle' through bright or dim.

The rocker is typically used on PLC type devices like UPB and Insteon whereas the toggle is more used on wireless devices like ZWave and Zigbee. It would seem that either technology could use either type of paddle.

So, the question really is, which type do you prefer - rocker or toggle and instead of picking a lighting technology on its other more technical characteristics, if each lighting tech was available in either toggle or rocker, which would you choose?

I have a feeling Rocker may be popular simply because it is more 'standard', so if you choose Toggle, please make a short post to say why you prefer it.

Rocker for sure. I like the flexibility when using the switch to trigger events (nightlight scenes, etc.).

The rocker is typically used on PLC type devices like UPB and Insteon whereas the toggle is more used on wireless devices like ZWave and Zigbee. It would seem that either technology could use either type of paddle.
Insteon Switchlincs & Togglelincs use a rocker logic action (regardless of being Decora or ToggeLinc) (the terminology is confusing here).
Insteon 6 button Keypadlincs use rocker logic for the big buttons.
Insteon 8 button Keypadlincs and the little buttons on the 6 button version use use push-push logic (aka toggle) unless you get real creative with your link creation.

I don't like push-push for a dimmable load as it always seems to go in the wrong direction (dim when I wanted brighten) or I overshoot.

I voted for toggle. Not because I prefer it, but because the wife (& her dad who's an architect) feel that it's a more contemporary look&feel.

Sorry but my head won't stop me from posting this -

A toggle switch is like the old fashioned light switch
A rocker switch is like a newer decora style 2 position paddle.

I have no Idea what to call the momentary touch switches used in modern day Zwave style switches... OH
WAIT! "Momentary Touch"?
:)

BTW, using the given terminology, I voted "Toggle"
:D

I have no Idea what to call the momentary touch switches used in modern day Zwave style switches... OH
WAIT! "Momentary Touch"?
:lol:

Most people in the industry refer to this as "Position Neutral".

Thanks.

I like the rocker, mainly because you on is on and off is off. with toggle if you can't seethe light like a outside post or driveway liget it can be a pain. Beside with my hai system I can alwas wright logic to make a rocker a toggle. when any command for that switch is received just toggle the lights.

I use Z-wave switches and I prefer the return the neutral position switches because there is less confusion in scene control and 3-way switch applications. I also prefer the switches that have separate control for dim levels as opposed to the press and hold options. The Leviton Vizia switches and Monster Central Switches I use have a slim vertical bar next to the rocker for dimming control.

Back