What is Alarm.com?

mikei-ma

Perhaps it is covered here somewhere but when I do a search for alarm.com it either comes up with all postings for alarm (geez) or no postings for alarmcom as one word.

Anyway...
Does anyone have details about the system? What technology is it using?

They are a central station service provider that offers their own brew of "smart" services to customers, not much else can be said since I don't know what you're really asking.

As I said, they are a central station, not a technology, and proprietary.

My brother just purchased it, and the installer did lights, locks, and cameras. My question was what technology is it? It looks like z-wave with some proprietary 'servers' - was wondering if the core was something standard. Doesn't look like it.

Alarm.com is a central station with a web front end to work with some alarm providers. For instance, you purchase a 2gig system and have it monitored by whomever works with alarm.com and you get a login on their system to access your system and set it up/control it.
I create scenes, set up alarms/ notifications, users etc at my login at alarm.com.

Depends on the hardware what the connected "automation" is.

The panels can be GE/UTC, such as Caddx or GE/ITI or 2Gig or anyone else. Basically, I'd say it's anyone on their "supported" hardware and features they wish to offer as a dealer.

Say I'm an Alarm.com dealer and I want to offer panel X only and not ABCXYZ, since I'm a dealer, I don't have to, but my X brand panel is on the supported hardware for their web application and business model, so I decide what I choose to sell you and your alarm is monitored and able to be controlled via their web head end.

Back