Vizio smart TVs are secretely watching owners

I believe all 'smart' TVs collect data - Vizio got a small fine because they didn't disclose it in the fine print, like the other manufacturers.

Here all LCD TVs today are just monitors connected to video sources.  Blue Ray players were never connected to the internet.  Direct TV / DISH is just one way from satellite to television with no interaction via the internet  / network these days.  The KODI box is off when not utilized.  Television EPG comes from Schedules direct or the television broadcast signal (for HDHomerun boxes).  Satellite EPG is one way from satellite signal.

It has been like this for a few years now here.

Precisely why I set up NTOP on my Linux file server to keep an eye on outgoing LAN traffic.

I plan to install Splunk to digest rsyslog data from my firewall.

pete_c said:
Here all LCD TVs today are just monitors connected to video sources.  Blue Ray players were never connected to the internet.  Direct TV / DISH is just one way from satellite to television with no interaction via the internet  / network these days. 
Sounds like a plan, but there are problems with that. ALL BluRay plays have an Internet connection for two reasons; 1) Automatic firmware updates, and 2) Automatic updates on encryption keys for new BluRay discs.  If you don't allow those updates to occur, you won't be able to play the newest discs.

With DirecTV, its not only firmware updates, but DirecTV has a steaming feature where you can watch programs from the start via an Internet connection. With DirecTV, you also can watch TV on iPads and iPhones in your house, and you can even download programs to these devices for off-network viewing. All these features don't work without an Internet connection. 

So yeah, you can leave the Internet disconnected, but you loose lots of other features in the process.

I've been using Tivo's for years and they've always collected the data.  I have no issue with anonymous/aggregate data collection.  I would only have a problem if they used my specific data to target ads to me or if they shared my personal info with other companies.

From the article:

"While cable TV companies are prohibited by law from selling information of the viewing habits of users Vizio explains this is not applicable to its business. Vizio has updated its privacy policy smallprint to now mention it shares user data to third parties and that they ''may combine this information with other information about devices associated with that IP address.''

ALL BluRay plays ------you won't be able to play the newest discs.

I don't do that.  

BluRay player sat unpowered / disconnected for about a year then removed it from the media shelf along with the old DVD player. 

With DirecTV, its not only firmware updates, but DirecTV has a steaming feature where you can watch programs from the start via an Internet connection. With DirecTV, you also can watch TV on iPads and iPhones in your house, and you can even download programs to these devices for off-network viewing. All these features don't work without an Internet connection. 

So yeah, you can leave the Internet disconnected, but you lose lots of other features in the process.

Firmware updates still can be pushed via the data / media stream.  I don't watch TV on iPads or any tablet or any phone (tablets - phones are off in the house).  I do save programs for watching on tablet / phone / carpc sometimes but not much as I am not a TV watcher.  I have used my tablet on international Skype calls to the EU or Pacific Rim while waiting for a change of oil in my automobile.   In to satellite here having multiple BUD's in the 80's and then DTV when first introduced.  Only now that AT&T owns it I am considering switching over to DISH (which I have had concurrent to DTV over the years).

I can stream live TV on my tablet just fine when I want to but never do (via HDHomerun tuners).

I had Tivo a while ago and switched over to DTV DVR which is not plugged in to the internet and works just fine.

Basically use the Internet for myself; maybe selfishly?  I am typing this message now using my CC ISP connection.

Personally here I do not really care about that stuff. 

I embrace technology here and tinker with all of it while concurrently try not to have dependencies on it for my daily existence.

It is getting more difficult. 

Last related family funeral spoke to a cousin (in - law) who spoke about having a new friend called the Amazon Alexa.

She didn't even mention the dead relative who she has known all of her life.  She did keep looking at her smart phone for something or another.

I suppose death is death (relative and absolute) and different folks view it differently all of the time.

She spoke of this machine (Amazon Alexa) as if i were her best friend. 

It's been a couple of  years now and I still wonder why (I can guess but rather not say or post here about it).

Back