Verizon Fios Router not passing email

If you have a PC running 24/7 the idea mentioned by CollinR is probably easiest. You shouldn't become a spam relay because you would NOT open port 25 inbound in your router.

A quick Google search turned up a few dozen free/opensource SMTP servers for Windows - or if you are running Windows Server it is built in. Of course Linux has it's share of them as well.

When looking at SMTP servers - try to find one that lets you use a smarthost. The idea here is that your SMTP server will forward all mail through your ISP's servers rather than trying to connect directly to the destination mail server. Many ISP's mail servers will not accept connections from "home grade" connections - there are a variety of issues to work around this but it is generally just easier to bounce through your ISP's servers.

Note, however, that some ISPs filter incoming emails from these types of setups., too. Unless you are very good at configuring a mail server to rewrite headers, the header info in an email will indicate it's been relayed and therefore it can be filtered.

The whole purpose for using the Elk is to not have a PC on 24/7 for certain functionality. This is a shame. It makes me second guess FIOS when it becomes available.

Well, I posted to this thread before that I myself have problems with Fios Elk connection. I have had problems connecting for several weeks now. I seem to only be able to connect after resetting my equipment and then eventually in a short while I can no longer access the connection to Elk RP. I had not tried recently until tonight. We had a power outage earlier this evening which I suppose reset everything. I am now connected although I have been kicked off a couple of times but was able to log back on which to me is a good sign compared to before. I don't know what changed and I am not using the email functionality that most of you are worrying about. I will try and mess around some more and maybe test the email thing this weekend. I will report back any findings. I don't know if this is wishful thinking but perhaps a firmware got pushed thru :)

Regards,
Mike

Magrann - Thanks for posting, and please keep us up-to-date if you have some success.

Spanky - Thanks - glad Elk is working on it. When you say "not short term" - any idea of a time range?

Spanky,

Would this issue affect the M1's ability to communicate with HomeSeer via the XEP? They connect through the router, using an internal IP address (TCP / IP). But they do not, obviously, go through the internet. I use the UltraM1 plugin.

Thanks.

ELK is in the process of verifying a software change made by Actiontec on their FIOS router that fixes the issue with passing emails from the M1XEP.

If anyone is having the problem and updates their Verizon Actiontec FIOS router to the latest software upgrade and it fixes the email issue, please let me know.

Just got off the phone with Verizon, and we go live with FIOS on 2/22 here. Will update on total experience, Elk and Homeseer interaction with it after that.

Joe

I just happened to see a Verizon Sub vehicle in the neighborhood this morning. I stopped and found that we will see it here in the next few months also.

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!

From the mouth of the M1XEP Guru himself:

If you haven't (or even if you have) heard the rumours ...

The Verizon FIOS / M1XEP issue is resolved!

Actiontec and Verizon confirmed it.
Two independent customers tested and confirmed it.

The "fix" is in Actiontec MI424WR router firmware version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7 (and later).

I found that OLD MI424WRs are not compatible with this new firmware. A hardware upgrade will be necessary. I'm not sure what customers will have to do to get newer hardware if needed. The old hardware has 8 network jacks. The newer hardware has 4.

Anyone with an M1XEP and email issue with the Verison FIOS router should let their router do an automatic firmware upgrade or force it to upgrade. But, they should contact Verizon Technical Support if they need help doing this. ELK does not offer technical support on the Verizon FIOS Router.
--------------------
TD
Elk Products, Inc.

I have the new Fios hardware, the newest firmware, and still I can't send emails from my Elk no matter what I try.

I have the new Fios hardware, the newest firmware, and still I can't send emails from my Elk no matter what I try.

likewise. I'd like to see the settings of someone who has this working. here are mine, which don't:
2805136634_b4679b43d1.jpg

Thanks.

Back