Using Terminals in Electrical Boxes

They start off in the lever down/closed position. I didn't want to break or bend anything trying to open it up, but with a fair amount of effort, it hadn't budged. Anyone who has used those things have any tips?

Hummmm....web site insturction say you open the level and then insert the wire with the level closing as you insert the wire. If you are not inserting the wire that way, it may make a difference on trying to open the level to remove the wire.

Well, this is before any wire is even involved. I'm just taking one of these things, straight from the package, where the levers are in the closed position...and trying to raise a lever. Part of the problem is the overall connector is so small, it's hard to get a good hold on it, but I didn't know if it was REALLY supposed to be that difficult to move the lever from the closed to open position.

There is a local contact here for these so I ordered a box of each. The really nice thing about these is you can strip and cover one wire at a time and its the only one exposed. I never turn the power off so this is a real plus. ;) Any arcing is inside, nice. Jack

Yup, it's got a very strong sprung mechanism.
Ditto, they're a real nail splitter. If you stick the lever of one into the hole of another and pry up it works fine. Also it stings to have one of the levers snap shut against your finger. Jack

I ordered some of the push in wire nuts from the local guy. I'll let you know how they work. Lowes here sell Ideal push ins. The local guy Automation Outlet Nashville TN is much cheaper than online.
JackI

Well, I went for it and bought a bunch of 2 and 3 hole Wago's...and I LIKE'EM. Especially for my OnQ installation, handling the solid copper and stranded wire makes it really easy. And for being able to deal with one wire at a time instead of lining them all up for a wirenut is awful handy. I won't use them for everything, but for some uses, they're quite nice.

I ordered some of the push in wire nuts from the local guy. I'll let you know how they work. Lowes here sell Ideal push ins. The local guy Automation Outlet Nashville TN is much cheaper than online.
JackI

I wasnt happy with the pushin ones as in a house like this in flux You cant really un-do them without breaking them

At least once while I was wiring this octopus in a 3 gang box, I had to undo some of the connections I made. The Wago levels made that really easy, and made re-arranging the wiring quite nice.

Anyone run these by a local inspector yet? Maybe they are considered code in lots of places, but in some this is really the discretion of the inspector as the wording is not so clear. If you are installing insteon switches and expect to be swapping them every year or two, it makes sense. But there are many lighting systems out there designed to last 10+ years(far cheaper in the long run than cheap stuff), making me wonder if this is worth the fight.

I'm interested in this, too. If they are CE-approved, what could be wrong with them? :blink:

I don't THINK they would fly here...

Why wouldn't they? What is the wording of the NEC?
I'm not an electrician.
Looking at the 2008 NEC - article 110.14 A and B seem to be the correct reference. Google to find discussions where even soldering then taping is acceptable. However, local city has the final say - it does where I live.

I don't THINK they would fly here...

Why wouldn't they? What is the wording of the NEC?
I'm not an electrician.
Looking at the 2008 NEC - article 110.14 A and B seem to be the correct reference. Google to find discussions where even soldering then taping is acceptable. However, local city has the final say - it does where I live.
Now this is cool - the page numbers don't line up w/my hardcopy book but it is the real thing...
http://www.scribd.com/doc/10878744/NEC-200...al-Code-NFPA-70

Back