Upcoming Poll

mustangcoupe

In a recent discussion in the CT chat we thought it would be a good idea to start a poll here on CT to get an idea how many CT members do what with their HA system and what they have.

When we do post the poll (about 1 week) it will be basic... Do you currently do the following with your HA system?

Some of the list is as follows
1-wire : Environmental Montioring
Calendar
Control from Blackberry
Control from iPhone
Control from Windows Mobile
Distributed: Movies
Distributed: Music
Distributed: Photos
DIY Install
Door Lock : Deadbolt
Dumb Security Panel : Basic Non-HA Security Panel
Energy monitoring
Home Size: 1 - 3K SF
Home Size: 3 - 7K SF
Home Size: over 7K SF
Home Size: up to 1K SF
Horoscope
HVAC
IR : Receive or Transmit
Lighting
Mag Lock
Phone
Pool and Spa
Pro Install & Configured
PVR (DVR)
RF Receiver
RFID : Access Control
RSS
Security Automation : The ability to trigger hardware in response to a security trip
Sports Scores
Stocks
Surveillance
Telephony (cid and beyond)
Text to Voice
Touch Screens (>5)
Touch Screens (1)
Touch Screens (2-5)
Voice Recognition
Weather
Window shade control

Please post other items in this thread that you use so we can try create one poll with all options.

My thoughts, which aren't too coherent given my tired-but-waiting-for-serverjob-to-finish state:
  • irrigation
  • out-of-house control via GUI (i'd like to know if i'm the only nut doing this). I see that as different from Control-WMobile as that could be just a PDA inside the house.
  • out-of-house-control via IE
  • something about database server (ie, i save every # that has ever called my house into a SQL*Server*express db)
  • split Distributed Movies into Distributed DVDs-ripped, Distributed DVDs-megachanger, Distributed BluRay-ripped, Distributed BluRay megachanger. Or just Dist-DVDs and Dist-BD. I suppose you don't care about media extenders vs matrix switches? I'm not sure i'd call an extender solution "distributed", as it's a 1:1 relationship (usually) between extenders & TVs.
  • split Disributed Music into Distributed mp3s, Distributed Sirius/XM, Distributed FM
  • Does surveillance=CCTV? Why not say CCTV?
  • why is security automation just hardware? How about those of us who do software stuff in response to zone trips? My CD blasts, and lights flash when the alarm goes off.
  • how about something for automated triggered events? I.E., a touchscreen really is just a fancy remote control, but what's really cool is when the system does <x> because it's detected <y>. Not just automated lighting, stuff like arm maglocks if it's late at night and you put on the TV.
  • System/PC monitoring
  • Automated touchscreens? I.E., if the doorbell rings, wake up the kitchen touchscreen and pull up the CCTV screen.
  • Display device control (automated projectors or plasmas)

- Landscape lighting
- PIR's (is this part of your security group? That can be a huge area of devices/events)
- Fire/smoke

May also need some way to privide some input on the basic type of HA system(s) being run (core hardware and/or software, commercial vs home brew, etc).

My thoughts, which aren't too coherent given my tired-but-waiting-for-serverjob-to-finish state:
  • Does surveillance=CCTV? Why not say CCTV?
Good point (for a tired brain!)
CCTV / WEBCAM or similar could be more better - Or perhaps have 2 separate "Surveillance" choices. Or better yet, because this is what I will end up with (hybrid - both analog & IP) is a set of choices like.
  • CCTV
  • IPCAM
  • HYBRID

Im sure there is a better way to express this but you get the idea... (Rarely coherent - woke up feeling like Ozzy this AM)

I thought I had some automation in my house but I don't do much of anything on the list so far. My system is mostly about detecting something and speaking or logging the event. Things like:

Local Assistance/Nurse Call buttons
Intercom
speak mail greeting to mailman
speak mail delivery alert
speak door greeting to visitors
speak doorbell alert
speak weather forecast
speak in house weather station data/wind gust alerts
speak manual and automatic changes to thermostat settings
speak lights left on warnings
speak garage door status
speak birthday reminders
speak general reminders
speak driveway approach warnings
speak daily accumulated run time for furnaces
speak daily accumulated run time of well pump
speak caller ID
speak occupancy alerts (motion sensors and light switch activation triggers)
speak device left on (space heaters, guest computers, etc.)

is keyfob control (worded in some different way, perhaps in-car control) worthy of a seperate listing?

Here are a few more I thought of.

- Driveway sensor
- Water leak detection
- Automatic shutoff of main water supply during leak detection
- Window shade control - Already on list
- Central alarm monitoring
- Intercom - Upstate Mike already suggested
- Digital/Hybrid phone system

Oy, I can see breaking this list into:
1) What do I do in my house?
2) What do I now want to do in my house?
3) What have I bought as a result of this thread?

Oh yea....don't forget the automatic toilet flusher. Lets see...at 1.6 gpf per gov regulation and a monitored number of flushes per day, we can calculate the water used per person.

Back