UPB phase coupler

robolo

Recently installed UPB switches in a portion of my house controlled by a subpanel. UPBUpstart identifies these 4 new switches as being on the "other" phase from the computer PIM. Signal strength is low enough that I am having a difficult time getting reliable communication to all the switches. Until now have had 100% reliability with all other switch communication and zero noise even on these particular switches.

I plan to install a phase coupler but it is unclear if the coupler needs to be installed at the main panel box, the subpanel box in question or if I should be installing one at both.

robolo

Recently installed UPB switches in a portion of my house controlled by a subpanel. UPBUpstart identifies these 4 new switches as being on the "other" phase from the computer PIM. Signal strength is low enough that I am having a difficult time getting reliable communication to all the switches. Until now have had 100% reliability with all other switch communication and zero noise even on these particular switches.

I plan to install a phase coupler but it is unclear if the coupler needs to be installed at the main panel box, the subpanel box in question or if I should be installing one at both.

robolo

It's best to have the PIM as CLOSE to the main box as possible, and put the coupler as close to the PIM.

--Dan

The main panel is where I would put it, unless the PIM is working off a sub panel, then put it at the sub. There have been some houses I've done that required more than one phase coupler but those were in excess of 8000 to 10,000sf.

The main panel is where I would put it, unless the PIM is working off a sub panel, then put it at the sub. There have been some houses I've done that required more than one phase coupler but those were in excess of 8000 to 10,000sf.

Not to hijack the thread, but I am tight on breakers in my panel. Close to my panel (about 2 feet), I have an outlet that is on one phase, and a circuit to another room on the other phase runs through the same junction box. Is there any reason I could not tap off of both of these instead of running off of a dedicated breaker?

Not to hijack the thread, but I am tight on breakers in my panel. Close to my panel (about 2 feet), I have an outlet that is on one phase, and a circuit to another room on the other phase runs through the same junction box. Is there any reason I could not tap off of both of these instead of running off of a dedicated breaker?

I don't think that's a good idea, not being an electrician though I'm not sure why I feel that way. Hopefully one of the electricians here will jump in and give you the bona fide reason. I haven't done it for a customer but at my home I was also a little short on spare breaker slots and until I had a new panel installed I ran the phase coupler through the same breaker as my water heater, not to code but it worked till I got the new panel in.

Of course you can. Thats what the wire in phase couplers are for.
http://www.simply-automated.com/documents/...ions_070510.pdf

Speaking of to code I believe they recommend putting it into its own box outside either panel you choose to use. Though this isn't practical and if an electrician were to do it they would also put it into the panel at least in my experience with them.

If you must use a coupler you could add it to an already loaded breaker. This device carries no amperage, it's just a bridge. If you put it into a 15A breaker just make sure to use 14g solid wire for the connection in the breaker. If it's a 20A use 12g solid wire.

In my opinion, which for several circuits I conceed this isn't always the solution, but you could do a few phase alignments by moving the breakers into other positions in the panel. It would be hard to do if you have several out of phase but if you only have a few then this process is very effective and unbalancing the panel would usually not be a concern if you are doing just a few.

Simply find the weak circuit in either panel and switch its position with the breaker above or below on the bus bar. Make sure the one you switch with isn't another device that you may be putting out of phase.

Other than that, a new comm test will show more significant improvement than a coupler.

Thanks to all that responded. The idea of a phase alignment is a great one and I can do that with my subpanel.

A fast/simple way to get a phase coupler is to use one that plugs into your dryer power outlet. I have one, works great. Took less than a minute to install :)

My only issue with it is that it hums if any UPB switches are on but dimmed. It's in the laundry room so it's not a big deal, but is a little unnerving at first (like something is wrong).

Back