Thermostat Indecisivness

Wingnut

For some reason I cannot make a T-stat decision. First a little background. I have an M1 coupled to a Homeseer system. My HVAC system includes 4 T-stats and no separate zoning. My HS system is rock solid so I can run the t-stats on either the M1 or the HS computer. All lighting is current Insteon...no Z-wave in the house. The M1 does not current run any HA tasks this is all handled in HS. Mostly the M1 raises events for HS. In any case, I want to automate the HVAC system mostly with the goal of automating setbacks, etc. My kids are notorious for cranking down the T-Stat and then leaving for school. I need a way to keep an eye on things upstairs and set back the temperature when nobody is home. After some reasearch, here is what I have concluded.

1) The RCS Thermostats are nice but expensive. I like the idea of serial communication but cannot stomach the $1000+ price for 4 units.
2) The new 2Gig z-wave units appear cost effective but it looks like they still have some issues. Also, I don't have z-wave so I need to add this to HS. I'm not sure if the M1 can drive z-wave t-stats.
3) I love the look of the RCS units but I don't have a controller to drive UPB so this would need to be added. Cost is a major issue on these.
4) Insteon is an option since I already have a stable insteon system but the WAF is low on these units.

I am leaning towards the 2Gig units since adding z-wave is a good long term benefit as it gives me device choices. My questions;

- What is the current stability of the 2Gig z-wave units?
- Anyone driving them with the M1?

For some reason I cannot make a T-stat decision. First a little background. I have an M1 coupled to a Homeseer system. My HVAC system includes 4 T-stats and no separate zoning. My HS system is rock solid so I can run the t-stats on either the M1 or the HS computer. All lighting is current Insteon...no Z-wave in the house. The M1 does not current run any HA tasks this is all handled in HS. Mostly the M1 raises events for HS. In any case, I want to automate the HVAC system mostly with the goal of automating setbacks, etc. My kids are notorious for cranking down the T-Stat and then leaving for school. I need a way to keep an eye on things upstairs and set back the temperature when nobody is home. After some reasearch, here is what I have concluded.

1) The RCS Thermostats are nice but expensive. I like the idea of serial communication but cannot stomach the $1000+ price for 4 units.
2) The new 2Gig z-wave units appear cost effective but it looks like they still have some issues. Also, I don't have z-wave so I need to add this to HS. I'm not sure if the M1 can drive z-wave t-stats.
3) I love the look of the RCS units but I don't have a controller to drive UPB so this would need to be added. Cost is a major issue on these.
4) Insteon is an option since I already have a stable insteon system but the WAF is low on these units.

I am leaning towards the 2Gig units since adding z-wave is a good long term benefit as it gives me device choices. My questions;

a) What is the current stability of the 2Gig z-wave units?
B) Anyone driving them with the M1?

Another option at even a lower price than the 2gig tstats would be the Intermatic InTouch Zwave thermostats. - http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Specials/CA8900-Zwave-Thermostat

Trey in our office can work you through zwave connections to the Elk but it's not hard.

I wouldn't buy the CA8900 intermatic or the wayne dalton version. Yes, they are the lowest cost, but they are also the cheapest built thermostat I've ever seen. I own the wayne dalton version. It did work, but didn't support hailing with my controller at the time (it may support hailing, I don't know) and is very flimsy and a pain to install (due to its flimsiness).

You're much better off with something like this z-wave trane thermostat which is actually made by RCS (according to labeling on the circuit board):
http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/product_info.php?products_id=3941

The trane thermostat will support hailing and feels very nice and solid. I removed the wayne dalton and bought two of the trane (RCS) thermostats.

I wouldn't buy the CA8900 intermatic or the wayne dalton version. Yes, they are the lowest cost, but they are also the cheapest built thermostat I've ever seen. I own the wayne dalton version. It did work, but didn't support hailing with my controller at the time (it may support hailing, I don't know) and is very flimsy and a pain to install (due to its flimsiness).

You're much better off with something like this z-wave trane thermostat which is actually made by RCS (according to labeling on the circuit board):

The trane thermostat will support hailing and feels very nice and solid. I removed the wayne dalton and bought two of the trane (RCS) thermostats.

Hailing?

Hmm. This doesn't give me a warm & fuzzy. I just closed on my condo 5/26 and the first thing I did was go to AutomatedOutlet.com and buy a Vera2 ($238) and two CA8900 t-stats ($44 each) for the two zones in the place. I liked the RCS, but not the pricetag.

I need to! I only have one. I was thinking about posting a bunch of stuff on ebay. PM if you're interested.

I could not get the 2-Gig thermostat to be included by either Leviton RFIT or ControlThink. I returned it and purchased an M1XSP/OmniStat2. I just really like the OmniStat2, and I haven't encountered any problems with ElkM1 integration. It’s convenient be able to adjust the HVAC based a multiple criteria (occupancy, time, and season).

The biggest problem was my ancient thermostat wiring. The HVAC installer buried the common wire in the wall. I had to open the wall, install a new LV orange box, blue smurf tube, run new 7 pair wiring back to control board, and install 4-wire RS-232 cable run. I have patched/repainted many walls; it’s only a minor inconvenience now. ;)

At least this way if I opt for a heat pump, I will not have to rewire or buy new thermostat.

The ElkM1G can support up to 16 OmniStat2’s. Also, the cost will be higher than Trane Z-Wave.

Hmm. This doesn't give me a warm & fuzzy. I just closed on my condo 5/26 and the first thing I did was go to AutomatedOutlet.com and buy a Vera2 ($238) and two CA8900 t-stats ($44 each) for the two zones in the place. I liked the RCS, but not the pricetag.
I received my CA8900 thermostats yesterday & haven't had a chance to put them in; but the construction seems to be great, and button presses are deliberate and solid. I wouldn't describe the unit as flimsy by any stretch--certainly an improvement over the programmable Hunter units I have now. I'm coming from a White Rodgers unit with a big touchscreen; the CA8900 doesn't have the "cool" factor, but it's well-built as far as I can tell.

After installing the CA8900's, I understand where the "flimsy" comment came in. Separating & reattaching the back half (wire terminals) to the control unit isn't necessarily as "positive" as it ought to be. Once it's put together, though, they work well. Great value.

I could not get the 2-Gig thermostat to be included by either Leviton RFIT or ControlThink.

The 2Gig Themostat needs the 4.52 or 5.02 z-wave firmware to work. One of the best features of the 2Gig is the fact that it doesn't need a 24V common to work - it will run on battery power B) All other thermostats currently do. The Trane is an oem version of the TZ43 - if you don't need remote sensors it is a solid T-Stat. Have had a CA8900 Thermostat running on one of my HVAC units since it came out as long as careful installing it you will be fine - it is a good dumb t-stat(no programming capabilities) It was the first one piece Z-Wave T-Stat on the market when it came out. Now a little long in the tooth.

Back