TED and UPB

heffneil

Is anyone using TED (the energy detective) with a system using UPB?  I am curious if there is anyone with experience using the two systems and curious if there is any issues?

Thanks,

Neil

I haven't used it in a few years, but TED and UPB work fine. Now TED and X-10 is another story. 

Here had Ted install for a bit with both UPB and X10.  It created endless noise with my X10 stuff and I disconnected it.  It was easy to install the sensors in the fuse panel box.  Thinking I modded my Ted box a bit so that it was easier to access.

pete_c said:
Here had Ted install for a bit with both UPB and X10.  It created endless noise with my X10 stuff and I disconnected it.  It was easy to install the sensors in the fuse panel box.  Thinking I modded my Ted box a bit so that it was easier to access.
TED, in theory, says it works with X-10, but TED and X-10 transmit on the powerline using the same means but with slightly different frequencies. (TED actually used a modified X-10 chip for its transmissions.)  As you have discovered, the frequency differences are not enough to avoid problems with X-10. UPB is completely difference in how it communicates so shouldn't bother TED.

The gentleman from TED was pretty sure X10 would be a problem but wasn't familiar with UPB so thats is why I posed the question.  I might change to the commercial product so I can use ethernet...

I don't know? Is there something "better".  I live in Naples so we had a 10 days outage - I was wishing I had something like TED to monitor consumption while on generator and I think it would be useful during the rest of time....

It is easy to figure out what it is that consumes the most electric in your home.  An energy monitor in your fuse panel works too.

If you have a remote cellular connection to your HVAC...turn it and off and watch your electric meter.

I did have all electric appliances in FL except for the swimming pool heater which ran on gas. 

New refrigerators / freezers these days utilize much less electricity than older (greater than 10 years old).

New HVAC (2-3 years old) was much more efficient than the new one installed with the new house build around 1999,  BUT not enough to leave it connected to a generator.

Worked better with solar panels in the old house.  The large gas tank was buried but probably would have only worked for a few days with a generator.

I priced a 16 Kw generator for the basics in FL many years ago.  Only issue related to the use of gas. 

So personally would have used generator for essentials like lightning and refrigerators.  Would have cooked on a grill outside and not turn on the AC for any reason.

electricity.jpg

Uncle in St. Petersburg just got his electric on yesterday.

For commercial it was a tank (large) of kerosene that worked better.   Tested this in Texas for an office with two floors running the generator for 7 days post hurricane before needing fuel. 

Personally would try to get off or lighten the load on the grid using multiple solar panels.   Automator peer north of Tampa had solar panels for electricity installed and he keeps his AC on most of the time and sells his electric back to the utility company.

Another automator peer in DC spent some $60 k for solar panels and doesn't utilize his AC at all probably cuz he paid a lot for nothing.

Right I mean I know the AC is what kills it.  There is a KW monitor thats realtime but with no historic readings.  FPL is screwing the homeowners with legislation and while we are the sunniest state we lag behind the country by state because of this in terms of solar panels!  I am going to change a few things to work off my propane but during this crisis it was a big problem trying to get someone to deliver!

Relating to the automator peer in Florida it was an issue to make sure he got what he paid for and then discounted. 

Many willy nilly solar panel installers basically jack up their prices then use the state discounts to make deals. 

He learned about it and probably knew more about solar panels than the installers and baby sat the entire installation to make sure they did it right.

Our utilities in AZ have also been tiring to screw their customers as much as possible.  First they got the electric reimbursement rates for selling back solar power to be so low, its just not worth it to have solar here anymore.  So they charge you a high rate for power, but reimburse you at a very low rate.  But here is the thing, when you "sell back" power to the utility, it never really goes back to the utility. Instead it simply goes back to the nearest neighbor where the neighbor now pays a high rate for the same electricity.

But wait, there is more. Our "high rate" used to run from noon to 7pm weekdays, and we are grandfathered in. But they just switched the peak to 3pm to 8pm. Why?  Because solar power is less during that span, so they can pay you much less during the noon to 3pm span when solar output is the highest. 

The only real solution is solar and batteries so you can generate all your power and say goodbye to the utility, but prices are still high for this.

Back