Sprinkler System

I'm in the process of replacing two of the Digi 8 port Edgeports. Each lost one port. One port was the Rain8Nets and the other one was the exterior non parasitic (powered) 9097 1-wire network.

I found the following RS-232 9 pin surge protector.

RS-232 9 Pin Surge Protector

IMHO both those (RS232 isolator and 1 wire protection) look to be good ways to improve the reliability. Of course the usual disclaimers apply - YMMV, etc. but I think they both would provide quite an improvement.

Thanks Dan and Jim.

I replaced my two Digi 8 edgeports yesterday. Order a "few" of the RS-232's a few days ago.

I have two 1-wire networks outside and will add the circuits described.

Pete,

For your outside networks, how do you measure temperature without getting the sensor IN the sun?

Right now we have a wireless device that we just set under the camping trailer. We had to put it near the tires so when I removed the wheel chocks I would see it and remember it was there.

However, I've been getting more and more into trying to go 1-wire, and since these are all wired...I'm not sure what I would do. I've considered just attaching to the serial stream on my existing temperature sensor-setup (wireless), then just use 1-wire for in the house...

However, I'm up for other ideas.

Thanks!

--Dan

Dan,

More sensors. I have two 1-Wire networks outside. One parasitic (Temp-08) and one non parasitic (9097). Multiple parasitic temperature sensors. First one was in the AAG weather station (as documented; gets hot in the sun), under eaves, under my deck, here and there. The 9097 1-wire network has a few outside sensors too but these are all combo sensors either HB or Midon. Two years ago I did purchase a Pagoda that I installed on the roof next to the weather station with a combo Light, Temp and Humidity sensor. The temperature readings are better in the pagoda than the AAG device. The only problem with the pagoda is that the plastic bracket is cracked and the combo sensor only provides temperature (humidity and light doesn't work anymore). Aside from the 1-Wire sensors I have an HAI outside temperature/humidity sensor under the eave on the deck. I also keep a little notebook with the 1-Wire MAC addresses of the 1-Wire devices, type of device and physical placement of the device. I would lose track of the devices if I didn't have my little notebook. I also keep a live text file on the desktop of the HS server with the devices grouped to the separate Temp-0X or 9097 live views (with dates). Relating to any sort of lightning issues; this is the first time I've seen this and lucky that it didn't damage the sensor or the 9097's/Temp-0X devices; just the ports on the Digi boxes.

Recently I have started to utilize rounding formula's to create new variable values with the MCSTemperature application. Theoretically you probably could take four outdoor sensors; average their value and create a 5th temperature reading variable. I do have all of the 1-wire sensors and HAI Temp/humidity sensors recording data in the MCSTemperature DB.

I do graph outdoor temperature in sun and out of direct sunlight sensors and do note a difference.

Initially started with a "star" 1-wire topology and in the last 8 years its become a hybrid star and linear topology. I do see some reflections and also have installed some resistors at the punch panel where all of the wires go to. I don't really notice them too much because you never really see the traffic on the 1-wire network using MCSTemperature. I can though for diagnostics look at the communications on either the Temp-08, Temp-05 or 9097 1-wire network using the MCSTemperature/1-WireXAP/Temp0X-XAP applications. I can also connect a Temp-08 and a 9097 device to one instance of the MCSTemperature program. Today I have two 9097 serial devices talking simultaneously to one 1-WireXAP MCS application. It works fine; depending on the polling it alternates readings between the two devices. (note each of the 9097's have multiple one wire devices on them).

I am curious if the temperature of the tire affects the temperature reading on the sensor? (from the Sun or just the tire rolling).

For inside of the house I ran separate Cat5e cable for each of the sensors. You really don't have to do that if you use the recommended 1-wire linear topology. Same with the outside wired sensors. I don't utilize any wireless sensors. Many many years ago I got tired of changing the batteries for the wireless sensors and keeping track of the batteries. That and I had the opportunity to wire and did so. IE: my mailbox have 3 cat5e cables going to it and I use them today. Most of the cabling was done one at a time after initial implementation. So it could be like a 1-2-3 hours to install one cable running from the basement patch panel wall, through the first floor, second floor, into the attic then dropping the wire into one of the bedrooms. I use a lot of those plastic PVC pipe holders as wiring hangers (multiples spaced as close as 1-2 feet apart).

For measurement of outdoor temps there are many home built pagodas built out of cheap plastic bowls and all sorts of other things to shade the sensors from the sun. Both naturally ventilated and with fans. I haven't tackled this yet but it should be fairly easy to do. Google it...

Thanks Jim.

I remember bugging my wife in the search of the ultimate plastic white bowel.

I built one of those DIY pagoda's using the plastic bowels. It actually is built a bit more sturdy than the "purchased" one. It's mounting or attachment is in the center down such that it can be bracked with a different center of gravity. The "purchased" one had the bracket(s) on the side and it was just a piece of plastic. I still have the plastic bowel pagodo while not as nice looking; its functional and much more sturdy than the purchased one. Costs too were significantly much less.

oldpagoda.jpg

Attachments

• Pagoda_3.jpg
    Pagoda_3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 9
In case others didn't see it there is another very recent thread on one wire surge protection here:

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19696

The issues and fixes look to be very similar.

I've replaced my two damaged Rain8Net's with Rain8Net+'s. I also put in the RS-232 transient noise protection. I found I had some intermittent comm issues with the Rain8nets. It could be because I have them on a Digi 8 port USB to serial Edgeport. I removed the transient noise protection device and the comm issues went away. We are having a major lightning storm this afternoon; so I just unplugged the two rain8Net+s.

mcsSprinklers with WebControl board. they can drive a 8 port relay board like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110694009375
which in turn to run spinklers, working great.

The WebControl also makes for a very easy interface to the Vegitronix moisture probe. Depending upon the soil type and environment this probe works well as part of a closed loop control for irrigation based upon soil dryness level. Works well for desert clay and does not work well for more humid envrioment in Northwest.

Back