Somfy Shade Battery Alternatives?

Hello folks.

I've talked a decent bit on here about my Elk controlled Somfy shades. I love them...except I'm finally fed up with buying the insanely expensive Energizer Lithium batteries?

I'm hoping someone here who knows a decent bit about batteries/electricity can provide some insight.

The shades are driven two to four a day - once up in the morning, once down in the evening, and a time or two in between by either arm/disarm or manual request. The batteries last me anywhere from 3 to 6 months..which wouldn't be bad except I have 6 shades which each take 8 batteries. That's approximately $70 every 3 to 6 months in batteries, plus a lot of waste into the landfill.

Somfy says clearly in their documentation NOT to use alkaline batteries. I know why this is and it makes sense. They truly don't perform as well in high tech devices.

However they also say NOT to use rechargeable batteries. This I'm a little more suspicious of and I'm hoping for insight. Why not? How would it damage my shades to use some decent quality rechargeable batteries that I cycle in them. Perhaps I would need to change them a bit more often, but at this point I'm OK with that if it would lower my recurring cost.

Again it makes sense why no alkaline. Anyone who has tried to use a digital camera that takes AA batteries knows alkaline batteries suck for high draw usage. But modern rechargeable batteries work just as well in digicams as lithium photo batteries.

Thoughts? Is Somfy just in with Energizer, or is there a legit reason not to buy 48 rechargeable batteries and end my $150/yr battery tax for having these shades?

I love having automated shades...I really just wish I had the presence of mind to have prewired the windows when building the home. Cant think of everything up front i guess...

They sell a solar recharger, why would they say not to use rechargables?
I ran 16/2 to each window just because I didn't want to deal with batteries. Did you consider that?

I've done some research and have found out why they say no rechargeables. Somfy shades operate on 12v. Lithium batteries are pretty stable around 1.5v....but NiMH and NiCD rechargeable AA batts are 1.2. This doesn't affect some devices, but it means when you multiply by 8 the Somfy shades are greatly under volted. This now makes sense. I know when my shades quit working and I pop out the batteries the Lithums are reading 1.2 or less. A bummer this product was designed for 12v and not 9, in which case normal batteries would be OK.

They do sell a solar charger kit with batteries. I can not determine what kind of batteries they are using (maybe its some custom pack) that ends up providing the required 12v. I just know their solar kit is $200 per shade. Way too costly when I have 6 shades, several of which are under patios/porches/overhangs on my house that get no direct sunlight.

I may have to resort to buying Energizer Lithiums in bulk on ebay or something :/.

I'd run 16/2 to each window in a heartbeat and get a 12v power supply...but I can't for the life of me figure out a practical way to do this that looks seamless now that my home is already built. Thoughts?

Use 10 rechargeable batteries to get the 12V?

There are some wire fishing magicians out there.  But chances are you will have to repair/repaint at least a few access holes.

I just ran all of mine and the house is 13 years old but I have been running wires in houses for decades. If you know the framing of a house it's pretty simple. Especially for me, I have a Colonial house so all the 2nd floor windows are right above the first floor windows. I was able to drill up from the basement to the left of each window. Cut out an opening for an old work box at the top left of each first floor windows, then drilled up to the second floor through that hole. Cut an old work hole at the top left of all the 2nd floor windows and fished a string from each to the basement.
The big problem with doing this is you never know what you did to the insulation if you have fiberglass bats but I use an IR thermometer on the walls after and if I see a huge discrepancy I open the wall and fix it.

We once installed some motorized shades in an existing house and arranged for the HA integrator to get the power to them since they had guys with experience hiding wires.  They simply cut a groove in the sheetrock with a router for the low voltage wire to run in and this was then wallpapered over.  I suspect one could also fill it back in with wallboard joint compound.  The wire used was zip cord, probably about 16/2.  It was supplied by the shade manufacturer.

I have no idea if this is legal or safe, so it's not something I'm recommending, I simply relate that I saw it done once.  House is still standing and the shades are still operating.

No, just routing a channel into drywall and papering it over is not safe. Nor is using zip cord (aka lamp cord).  It's not to code.  It's not "illegal" but your insurance company is likely to raise issues if it causes problems.  That and things installed in a 'permanent' fashion like this tend to get forgotten about.  The next homeowner or someone trying to hang something on the wall doesn't deserve to be surprised by nonsense like that.

I have seen situations where people have routed out a channel behind baseboards, in drywall, and that's a little less unsafe, as it's not like baseboards get nailed into again.  Just don't do it behind a place where a doorstop would get installed.  

But if they're going to go through enough trouble to gouge out a track then why not just make one large enough to run the wire properly?  Wouldn't take much to get a 3/8" bit back to where it'd be safe to run through the studs.  Just don't do it blind, you never know what might be on the other side of the stud.

That and given what these shades cost it's kinda ridiculous to be carping about installation costs...

wkearney99 said:
No, just routing a channel into drywall and papering it over is not safe. Nor is using zip cord (aka lamp cord).  It's not to code.  It's not "illegal" but your insurance company is raise issues if it causes problems.  That and things installed in a 'permanent' fashion like this tend to get forgotten about.  The next homeowner or someone trying to hang something on the wall doesn't deserve to be surprised by nonsense like that.

I have seen situations where people have routed out a channel behind baseboards, in drywall, and that's a little less unsafe, as it's not like baseboards get nailed into again.  Just don't do it behind a place where a doorstop would get installed.  
I'm agreeing this isn't the 'optimal' way of doing this, but are you sure your statement is correct for low current DC?

BraveSirRobbin said:
I'm agreeing this isn't the 'optimal' way of doing this, but are you sure your statement is correct for low current DC?
Not ideal, but not against any code item until you really dig deep into technicalities and realistically, the "workman-like manner" for installation could even throw it out as an acceptable method.

If this were true, every integrator that ran cable behind trim and exposed in closets, etc. would be violating the code. Under carpet or between the tackless is technically a no-no, though they do make specific under carpet wire (very hard to find) and there are entire wiring systems for running AC and telecom cabling under "glue down" carpet squares as used in commercial applications.

Given the mess installers make I wouldn't bet on the statistics.  As in, indeed violating code nearly ALL THE TIME.  Heh.

Look at it this way, why set something up to be a hassle down the road when it's really not that difficult to just do it right?

Hi.

I've recently started making 10-cell battery wands for use with rechargeable batteries to replace the 8-cell wands that require lithium batteries.
I know this thread is old. I just Googled and found a few different threads with people asking for options to stop using lithiums.
You simply use the end caps from your existing battery wand.

I'm selling them for $25 a piece.
If you're interested, here is the link on ebay: www.ebay.com/itm/141877400784

I currently have 6, but I can make plenty more if there is a demand.

Have a good one.

Back