Solar power anyone?

wkearney99 said:
What was your initial out of pocket cost and how long until the rebates were paid?  Tax credits are great but carrying the expense until tax time is certainly an issue.  We're completing the build of a new house and I've space on the roof for PV panels.  But whether I'll have cash to spend on the panels has yet to be determined.  So I might actually postpone the installation of them until Fall of '13 when there's end of year cash available and I'm closer to being able to file the taxes for it.

it was around $18k before the federal tax credit.  the installer took care of the CA state rebate - i signed paperwork assigning them the rebate, they filed for the rebate and the amount was deducted from my bill up front.  that was a little over $3k.  so the gross total was around $21k.  you can always adjust your w2 witholdings lower or take some capital gains and not have to worry about paying estimate tax.

dgage said:
Part of this discussion focused on the DIY packages such as the Westinghouse system that Lowe's has available for order. The surprise was that the system would be out of commission if the power went out.  I'm sure if we rolled our own system that we could get an islanding inverter (didn't know what it was called before so thanks) but hopefully future packages will have it built in.  Then again, I'm the type of DIYer (as are many on Cocoontech) that would learn everything about the subject and be able to roll their own package from best of breed parts.  So thanks for sharing the links.

David
No problem. I think most of the issue is eliminating the DC voltage from the equation. Most DIY'ers can run a 20A 240V circuit. Get in to 48vdc or higher voltages, that's where it get more dangerous.

Hmm, I've still not found an installer locally that doesn't leave me with a bad impression.  Too much sleazy salesman double-speak and focus on 'green' and not enough truth about the bottom line.  I've got my hands full with picking all kinds of other materials.  I just do not have the time to slog through bullshit from salesmen.

So what we're going to do is leave a 2" conduit all the way down from under where the panels would likely be installed straight to the electrical closet.  It'll be stubbed for now, but easily used later for whatever a PV setup might require.  There's also three other 2" lines for low voltage running from the attic to the basement, but about 12' away to avoid the potential for interference. 

If you could find a honest roofer to help you install the panels, you don't have to work with solar installers.  SCE seems only care about the grid tie inverter. If they consider your inverter is what they approved, they will provide you 25 cents per watt rebate, program your smart meter into NET meter mode.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_metering
http://www.sce.com/customergeneration/net-energy-faqs/net-energy-metering-faqs.htm
You can claim federal and state tax credit also on your income tax return.

If one purchases string/grid-tied inverters, one can "couple" the unit with batteries (either AC coupled or DC coupled), so that during power outages, you can run off of batteries (aka: a whole house UPS) and have your solar panels recharge the batteries/provide power to the house.

My system will pay for itself in about 5-7 years (depending if you include the extra cost of the whole-house UPS). Received a state rebate, federal tax benefit, and I can sell SRECs at the market-price every year.

Well apparently those Westinghouse units are no longer available at Lowes...  Not sure what happened.

Back