Sending Email with Elk from a Gmail acct.

Quixote_1

Has anyone successfully done this? I've created a gmail account, set it up for POP3 and IMAP and entered all the relevant info into the ELK-M1XEP config screen in RP2, but I am not able to send a test messae successfully. Now I'm wondering if it's my router, even though I have attempted to allow the ELK access as a POP3 server.

I tried using both port 465 and 587 to no avail.

Thanks.

Elk and Gmail are a no go. Gmail uses the secure email format an port when using external POP access. The elk can't do it...yet.

Set up a test account with your ISP and try it that way and see if it works. I use verizon and get an email on my blackberry within 15 to 20 seconds pressing of my F6 key which sends a test email to my gmail email account which is tied to my BB.

Edit:

FYI:

587 is the Outgoing server (SMTP) port for IMAP. It uses a TLS
encryption connection.

465 is the Outgoing server (SMTP) port for pop. It uses an SSL
encryption connection.

Damn. That's a shame.

I've used Stunnel before with Girder 5, using a plug-in that Rick (HarleyDude) over on the Promixis forums put together. Great plug-in and great little program, but I don't see how I could use it with the Elk, unless I use it in conjunction with Girder.

Hopefully ELK will put something together one of these days, because ever since I changed my ISP a few years ago and lost my email account I have decided not to tether myself to an ISP-dependent email account. I suppose if it's just to send out emails it doesn't matter.

Thanks guys.

Damn. That's a shame.

I've used Stunnel before with Girder 5, using a plug-in that Rick (HarleyDude) over on the Promixis forums put together. Great plug-in and great little program, but I don't see how I could use it with the Elk, unless I use it in conjunction with Girder.

Hopefully ELK will put something together one of these days, because ever since I changed my ISP a few years ago and lost my email account I have decided not to tether myself to an ISP-dependent email account. I suppose if it's just to send out emails it doesn't matter.

Thanks guys.

stunnel doesn't require girder. it basically looks like a pop server on your local machine and you just configure your elk email settings to point to stunnel.

Damn. That's a shame.

Thanks guys.

stunnel doesn't require girder. it basically looks like a pop server on your local machine and you just configure your elk email settings to point to stunnel.

What I meant, rather than that I would need Girder, is that I would need a PC running. I will no longer be relying on a PC for any mission-critical tasks -- especially a winblows box. Too many times I've returned from a long trip to find that my computer has inexplicably decided to go on vacation as well, and I'm betting on either a windows update shutdown or other over-looked idiotic feature, or possibly even a BSOD shutdown. In any case, anything handled by a PC now will be nothing more than gravy.

What I meant, rather than that I would need Girder, is that I would need a PC running. I will no longer be relying on a PC for any mission-critical tasks -- especially a winblows box. Too many times I've returned from a long trip to find that my computer has inexplicably decided to go on vacation as well, and I'm betting on either a windows update shutdown or other over-looked idiotic feature, or possibly even a BSOD shutdown. In any case, anything handled by a PC now will be nothing more than gravy.

i actually have stunnel running on my linksys nslu2. it should run on a linksys wrt54g router running alternate firmware as well. i also don't let windows do any automatic updates on my servers...

Looking at a router that can run stunnel is a great idea.

You could also look at some inexpensive thin clients - like the HP t5700 or t5720. These are devices that run XPe, but use flash memory so that at every reboot, it goes back to the saved configuration you have created. You load up stunnel and any other software you need running on it and create a new image. If the box is reset for any reason, it automatically reboots that saved image. It makes for a very stable machine. They are also low power - pulling something like 8-15 watts (depending on the model). You can pick them up on EBay anywhere from $40-$140 depending on model and configuration.

Thanks,
I'll look at both of those options, but I like the idea of running it on a router as well. How would that work? I've heard of replacing the firmware on a router, but never running other programs on it.
As for the NSLU2, are you referring to a slug that you've modified or is that actually a PC that has been modified to act as a network enabled storage device?

Back