Roughly how much does it cost to wire up a 8 room house for HA in regards to the lights (no shades o

ghurty

I am new here and trying to get the overall feel of HA.

Roughly how much does it cost to wire up a 8 room house (material only of course) for HA in regards to the lights (no shades or anything like that).

I guess using INSTEON.

Thanks

Well, if the wiring is existing a retrofit should be minimal, possibly not even required as long as you have a neutral everywhere. And if we're talking about a new house, it shouldn't be any more at all, just make sure that each switch gets a neutral.

As Zellarman just said, based on your question minimal. INSTEON is a communications over powerline technology. So as long as you have wiring with neutrals in every box. there would be no wiring costs.

Now if you are asking hardware costs too... it depends on the features you want in your switched, quantity etc... I dont know where you are but check out the CTVA thread ( http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showforum=59 ) for some great vendors

Yeah, about $0.

Same with every 'wireless' platform, e.g. z-wave, UPB, zigbee, RadioRA/RadioRA 2.

Lots of people seem happy with UPB from SimplyAutomated. I'm going with RadioRA 2 myself, VERY high quality, and incredible customer service (24/7/365 Tech Support).

Thank you for your answers but that just shows how new I am. I was actually referring to the hardware cost (switches, etc..) .

I understsand I would need one switch per room, but what else would I be needing?

Thanks

Thank you for your answers but that just shows how new I am. I was actually referring to the hardware cost (switches, etc..) .

I understsand I would need one switch per room, but what else would I be needing?

Thanks

With insteon you are likely going to need two accesspoints to bridge the signals across the wiring in you home, IF you don't buy the dual-band switches which are more expensive. You will also need some sort of computer interface if you want to access them from a PC. That could be a PLM+Software. Most people using Insteon like the Universal Devices ISY which is a small controller that comes with a PLM and has a web interface.

So...

1 Switchlinc Dimmer or Icon Dimmer for dimmable lights
1 Switchlinc Relay or Icon relay for fans, florescent lights, etc
Determine if you want any keypads for scene control (optional, substitue in place of a dimmer or relay switch)
2 access points (or change dimmers to dual band)

Optional PC Control (if doing dual band, make sure to purchase the dual-band PLM option with these):
ISY
Insteon Central Controller
Vera + PLM
PLM + Software (CQC, Homeseer, Houselinc, Powerhome, Premise?, etc)

The forum moderators will probably frown on people posting prices, so you will probably need to go price these out on Automated Outlet (highly recommended) or Smarthome. UPB and Zwave will be slightly differrent, but follow the same premise, dimmers, relay switches, keypads, and some form of PC control. For UPB you likely need a signal brigde too like insteon. For Zwave, no bridge is needed since it is wireless. Alternatively you could probably call or email Automated Outlet and ask these questions and get estimates.

I would estimate at 1 switch per room, 8 rooms you are talking around $600+ for Insteon. If you go with all Icons you might save $100.

HA! I finished the first room (workshop, dimmed and switched fluorescents, Pico remote) a year ago. The big push will come with the kitchen remodel, which we've been putting off. I actually worked on the kitchen lighting wiring diagram today. We haven't spec'd the lights yet (mix of incandescents, downlight LEDs, and under-cabinet LEDs), so impossible to spec dimmers and KPs yet. Figured out the location of an Auxiliary Repeater yesterday (garage ceiling outlet, below kitchen). :)

Back