Request: ELK Installation Pictures

these are really nice looking cans.
beautiful wiring job in them too!

who is the manufacturer of those cans? are those levitons?

what i really like is the wire management modules on the top and sides.

Thanks! The cans are Leviton 48" and 14". It is true what everyone says that you can never have a can that is too big. I first thought I would be able to get everything in the 48" can but during wiring I realized that I was having trouble getting just the wire in the can!

I got the wire duct from Automation Direct. I stole the idea from wuench's install here. It has really made the install look nice when the covers are on.

WARNING.......The pictures you are about to see may cause dizziness, nausea, headache, back pain, diarrhea, and heart attack.......WARNING

I did not have any of the symptoms that you noted so I guess I have a strong stomach... :lol: I showed your batcave to my wife and she said "well I guess as long as it works and he keeps the door shut it doesn't matter how messy it is...". She is a real keeper...

Not and ELK, but I couldn't resist any longer.
The close up is the DVR pc.
Very clean looking install but what is it?

Hi, thanks.

It is my home security/automation system. I used a D4-450 CPU from Automation Direct for centralized control. It's on the top backplane. The three below it are local expansion units. The is a variety of I/O; DC inputs and outputs, AC inputs and outputs, relay outputs, analog inputs, TC inputs, high-speed counter module for my ventilation fan speed feedback, basic co-processor for my UPB driver, Modbus master to poll my power meter on my mains, ethernet modules for supervisory control and programming and probably some others I forgot about. The CPU's serial ports are connected to a couple of remote interfaces to control certain things.

I use a pc-based DVR for my video surveillance. There is an I/O card in my DVR pc so I can hardwire it to my PLC and trigger various events.

This system allows for more scalability than I'll need (maybe) and most importantly uses your average ladder logic to program it since it is a basic industrial programmable logic controller. The co-processor is different. I wrote a driver for the upb protocol in basic that enables variables to be passed back and forth between the CPU memory and the copro memory. The copro is where the commands are sent/received to/from the UPB-PIM. This way I have one controller that knows everything.
:lol:

I am going to end up having a dedicated, lockable closet for my AV distribution, security, networking, etc. I had planned to put good quality plywood on the walls, so I'm not sure I even need to use cans for my Elk.

I some mentioning that they considered mounting their Elk and accessories directly to a wall , no cans. I'd really like to see some pictures of this type of implementation. . .

A little bit of a sneak peak at "version two" of my wiring closet. In nearly all of my spare time over the last couple of weeks, I completely gutted my old wiring/server closet, expanded it considerably, and have been reinstalling and rewiring everything.

A few unique things in my system, one of which is that I'm using BIX blocks (with custom made designation strips - I'll be uploading templates for that) to cross-patch all of the ELK I/O as well as my telco stuff. I'll provide more detail over the coming days, but here are a couple of pictures to whet your appetites...

Attachments

• cans_2008FEB03.jpg
    cans_2008FEB03.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 252
  • bix_2008FEB03.jpg
    bix_2008FEB03.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 211
Corey,

Com' on now. With all those wires and a beautiful home there is no way you could leave the bat cave looking like that. You need to be able to show that room off when people come visit. Get that thing cleaned up buddy.

Most of us could only dream of being able to run that many wires.

A few more photos... The first shows my 14" ELK can. Nothing too exciting, but I tried hard to keep the clutter to a minimum in this can, through extensive use of wire management channel. I use a 25 pair telco style cable to connect the zone inputs over to the BIX punchdown blocks. It's easy to keep track of the pairs once you learn the color code. I use a short ribbon cable with male and female IDC DB-9 connectors to extend the serial port connection over to a DB-9 to RJ45 adapter. I run a lot of my serial stuff over RJ45 cables as it's easier to manage and route around the closet (and house) with the myriad of patch panels and wall jacks.

The second photo shows an overall shot of the can to the left of the 14" ELK can. It's an OnQ 28" can, and it has a BIX frame at the top. The punchdowns are organized by color. The orange sections represent my inputs from sensors around the house. The red section in the middle is a VAUX distribution strip that I set up, so if any of the inputs to the ELK need 12V (e.g. motion sensors, etc.), I simply punch the orange pair to the corresponding VAUX terminals. The turquoise section represents ELK I/O - the data bus, telco interface, zone inputs, etc. Also in turqoise at the bottom is the connection to my ELK data bus items -- just one keypad and one M1XSP for now.

Cross-connecting is accomplished simply by punching a jumper from the house sensor section at the top to an ELK input near the bottom.

The very bottom of the BIX frame holds a custom barrier distribution strip that I made that fits into the standard BIX frame. It's set up for distributing VAUX as well as the speaker and siren outputs. I'm not thrilled with this so I'll probably end up using more traditional Euro style barrier strips, but I needed to throw something together from my parts bin while I was wiring and this is what I came up with.

For the time being I have some of my other automation stuff located in this can (USB hub, Insteon USB PLC and Insteon serial PLM). I will probably move this stuff out eventually and install some additional ELK boards in this can, like an input expander and an output expander. The I/O for those items will be routed up to the BIX frame.

The last photo is of my leftmost can, which is another 28" OnQ. I have another BIX frame located in this can, which is one of the larger frames I literally cut in half with a hack saw. You can buy them smaller, but since I got my BIX stuff for free salvaged from an office, I improvised. This can has little to do with the ELK per se, but it's where my house telephones terminate and are patched. Also in the can in the upper right are my rather minimal coaxial cable feed distribution and satellite feed distribution. There's a USB UIRT hanging out in this can for the time being as well, but I will likely move all of that PC based automation stuff somewhere else soon. Sitting in the bottom of the can (waiting to be reconnected) is a little bit of prototype board which contains a simple circuit I made to allow me to activate an ELK input from the 12V trigger output of my projector upstairs in the theater. Since I have no serial control over the projector, I blast it with the USB-UIRT and monitor power status with the ELK and that circuit. Crude but functional enough for now.

Attachments

• DSC_4533.jpg
    DSC_4533.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_4534.jpg
    DSC_4534.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC_4535.jpg
    DSC_4535.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 133
Back