RadioRA 2

Anyone tried this or know if it will be compatible with the older RadioRA RS232 interface? Will all automation platforms have to support this separately? I'm guessing the answer is yes since the number of devices and features has changed. I wonder what this means for the current RadioRA stuff, will it become obsolete?

http://www.cepro.com/article/lutron_radior...s_home_control/

Yes, from what I've read it will not be backwards compatible.

What I want to see from Lutron is a RA 2 dimmer that will work with compact fluorescent bulbs, I have found CFLs that dim to 5% on Insteon dimmers.
I would have replaced all my Insteon stuff with RadioRA by now if Lutron would make CFL dimmers. Lutron likes to tell you to just dim Incandescents but it is not
the same as starting out with a bulb that uses 1/4 as much power to start with, I live in California and it is just a matter of time before they ban incandescents here.

I'm surprised there isn't a CFL dimmer switch.

I hope LED technology grows fast enough that I'm not required to use CFL's.

What I want to see from Lutron is a RA 2 dimmer that will work with compact fluorescent bulbs, I have found CFLs that dim to 5% on Insteon dimmers.
I would have replaced all my Insteon stuff with RadioRA by now if Lutron would make CFL dimmers. Lutron likes to tell you to just dim Incandescents but it is not
the same as starting out with a bulb that uses 1/4 as much power to start with, I live in California and it is just a matter of time before they ban incandescents here.

How is that going to work with lights where there is no CFL option?

I'm stocking up on incandescents because I'm not going to replace light fixtures that cost hundreds of dollars each.

How is that going to work with lights where there is no CFL option?

I'm stocking up on incandescents because I'm not going to replace light fixtures that cost hundreds of dollars each.

The same way Insteon does it, I would imagine they could do it just as easily as Smartlabs. I have some RA-6D switches that I am using now but I am not buying more $150 Lutron dimmers until they make something that works. I can put in all non-dimming switches and use CFLs or I can buy expensive Lutron Ballasts that work with Some of their dimmers but it seems like a waste of money when other companies have dimmers that will work for much less.

My experience with dimmable CFLs and RadioRA has been pretty good. Just stick to the neutral dimmers(avoids flicker when off and keeps the "off" setting truly off), and use high-quality dimmable CFLs. So far so good.

My experience with dimmable CFLs and RadioRA has been pretty good. Just stick to the neutral dimmers(avoids flicker when off and keeps the "off" setting truly off), and use high-quality dimmable CFLs. So far so good.

What brand dimmable CFLs have you had luck with? I have tried several that are stocked at our Home Depot and have been disappointed in the dimming.

Thanks for this info, so I could use a RA-6DND with a CFL then? Everytime I have asked Lutron they told me no I could not use any of their dimmers with CFLs, using RA-6ND dimmers raises the price to $190 a switch so maybe I will wait on pricing for RA2.

Thanks for this info, so I could use a RA-6DND with a CFL then? Everytime I have asked Lutron they told me no I could not use any of their dimmers with CFLs, using RA-6ND dimmers raises the price to $190 a switch so maybe I will wait on pricing for RA2.

In general none of the dimmers today, automated or not, are recommended for CFL. But, with a good DIMMABLE CFL, it can work. I've used dimmable CFLs on all kinds of dimmers, and they work OK with radioRA. The results are decent, not great, the dimming is irregular at lower levels, but doesn't seem to be as erratic as non-dimmable CFLs which scare me. I believe the GE Energy Smart bulbs were the best I could find. Can be hit or miss to find more than one brand/type at home-depot style stores.

Btw, just in case anyone is considering using CFLs, be aware of the risk!

"Fire investigators determined the fire was caused by a CFL connected to a dimmer switch. Packaging on many types of CFLs includes a warning not to connect them to dimmer switches. "

http://www.times-news.com/local/local_story_121093606.html

Maybe when they are done banning Incandescents they can ban non-dimming CFLs also, people should be able to buy lightbulbs without fear of burning down their house.

I'd love to replace my 40 or so can lights, just not with CFL's.

If you would be interested in LED cans, pm me. I installed about 30 in my sons house when I built it. However my daughter in law is susceptible to migraines and the slight flicker bothered her. I was controlling them via Zwave, however I used the standard dimmer, not the more expensive dimmers that is supposed to work better with LED / CFL.

George M

Back