Programming a GE Security system

dfeller

So - I have A builder installed GE security system 60-806-95R - via Ultimate Electronics.
I decided to abandon formal monitoring (what a scam) - so I was able to hijack the siren output to trigger an auto dialer that calls all our cell phones. Step one - success.

But the system is highly programmable - and I'd really like to add more sensors, change the way it behaves, and customize it to my needs - BUT I can't find any documentation or programming information on it. I know that when it was installed, the guys did it all from the keypad and custom codes - I don't think they ever plugged in anything to do the programming - so I'm hopeful that it can all be re-tweaked. GE has been no help and Ultimate will not give the details out. Is anyone knowledgeable in this system?

All the wires are next to my media center and easily accessible so a future full home automation upgrade will come - I just want to get everything functional first.

David

Even with documentation you would have to get the "password" that the installers used to configure the system. While there is a default value for this typically the installer will change it. I faced the same problem and ended up changing out the system for an ELK. The wireless sensors already installed were compatible with the ELK. And the ELK is DIY friendly.

FWIW. My house came with a 1990's FBII XL-31 which had a hardware "reset to factory default" function.

Per the installation manual, "To reload the factory default values, remove all power from the system. Next short TP1 to TP2, with short still intact reaply power, wait 5 seconds then remove short with the power still applied."

Maybe you will get lucky.

FWIW. My house came with a 1990's FBII XL-31 which had a hardware "reset to factory default" function.

Per the installation manual, "To reload the factory default values, remove all power from the system. Next short TP1 to TP2, with short still intact reaply power, wait 5 seconds then remove short with the power still applied."

Maybe you will get lucky.
There is no back door on GE NX series or the Concord panels. You should call Ultimate and ask them to put the factory programming code back into the system. Even if they default the whole program back to factory settings. Are you leasing the system from Ultimate? If not you paid for the equipment you should be able to have them put the code back in. You may end up paying a service call or something.

If everything fails you can get a brand new panel with similar capabilities for $200 or something much better for $4-500, probably worth it if you are going to stay in the house for a while. Of course if you can get the installer code from your monitoring company, all the better!

I called Ultimate and they told me that record show they did not change the default password (I suppose that alone should make me nervous about them) - they walked me through verifying that over the phone. Now I need a programming manual (which they refused to provide).

Also, if the system was not monitored it is pretty much standard not to lock it out. It keeps the "slower" technicians from locking themselves out. Really.

David,

I have a similar problem. I have an FBII XL-31 which was here when I bought the house and hasen't been used in years. I am trying to get it functional. I did find the programming manual on line -
here is the link---->(since I am new to this forum they wouldn't let me post a link - so I disguised it.) the normal w stuff[dot]duplexplusz [dot]hu[back slash]file[back slash]XL31II[dot]pdf Hope it is what you need.

But I think I have the same problem. I cannot get it to go into programming mode... the default installer code is 4612 but it dosn't work for me.. I did the "Short EEPROM RESET" proceedure you mentioned but still cannot get into programming mode. The sequence for programming mode is CODE key + * + 4612 + 1

You mentioned something about monitoring being a "scam". Could you elaborate? I am thinking of having ADT monitor my system.. Your comments would be appreciated.

Inf25th

You mentioned something about monitoring being a "scam". Could you elaborate? I am thinking of having ADT monitor my system.. Your comments would be appreciated.

Well, monitoring as a scam is only my personal opinion, everyone should form their own.
Basically, all the system does is call someone who is supposedly watching for a call and then has instructions what to do - call me, call police etc.
I just grabbed a little dialer box (really cheap little thing that can dial up to 4 numbers and repeat a recorded message) and hooked it up to my siren circuit as a trigger. So if my alarm goes off, my cell, my wife's cell and my parents (two states away who cant do anything but suffer a stress attack I suppose) get a call from my home number and a recorded message of me screaming that the house is being broken into. I ALWAYS answer my home number if it comes up on my cell so why pay someone $20+ a month for that...

Just my opinion.

David

www.bocsco.com
Just checking to see if I can post links - did not know that was a requirement...

[edit] Cool - I must not be an outcast like you :)

Well, monitoring as a scam is only my personal opinion, everyone should form their own.
Basically, all the system does is call someone who is supposedly watching for a call and then has instructions what to do - call me, call police etc.

While I do understand where you are going with this point David, I beleive there are other scams out there using that definition.... Insurance (Home, Auto, Health) neing the largest one I can think of right now :rolleyes: we pay these people weekly/monthly just in case we need them to pay out for services at some point.

Back