Prewiring: The tools

The main advantages to me are...

You can strip back as much as you like.
You can QC check your wiring order with crazy ease, before you crimp it.
You almost can't have too much untwisted.

I think your tool will work, it would take two steps though. The EZ45 tool will crimp and trim in one shot, thats the only real difference in the tool.

Yes, you still need to strip the outer sheath of the Cat5 (easy with a Cat5 stripper), but you don't have to worry about making the individual leads the exact right length. The process is the same - strip outer sheath back a few inches (vs the exact amount), untwist and line them up in right order, feed them thru the RJ45 (this step is the EZier part as the wire just goes right thru), then you can check the colors on the wires that have been fed thru, instead of trying to look thru the RJ45. When it is good, you crimp it exactly like your current tool, but the EZ tool also cuts off the excess fed wire flush with the RJ45.

Well, that's good enough for me. It's having to try and hold those wire all in the correct order and length and then sliding them slowly into the connector...*shudder*. Ya, if it's a means to avoid it, them I'm all for it.

I think I'd rather try to use my crimper then, even if I have to shave off the wires as a second step, and spend that saved money on a compression crimper (a cat5/6 stripper tool would also be a really good idea). Any suggestions for one?

Well, that's good enough for me. It's having to try and hold those wire all in the correct order and length and then sliding them slowly into the connector...*shudder*. Ya, if it's a means to avoid it, them I'm all for it.

I think I'd rather try to use my crimper then, even if I have to shave off the wires as a second step, and spend that saved money on a compression crimper (a cat5/6 stripper tool would also be a really good idea). Any suggestions for one?

I have a (general purpose) crimper/stripper tool from Lowes that strips by gripping the outer sheath in two clamps and then pulling them apart. This works well for a wide range of cables.

I also have this (more pricey) cable stripper that doesn't work as well. The balance between not cutting the sheathing enough and cutting into the inner cables seems to be too delicate.

Yup thats what I'm talking about, Platinum tools EZ45.

Steve do you use their crimper too? Have you tried the ice cubes with regular crimpers or angle cutters?

I can't really get any deal on the tool but I can on the ice cubes.

$55.00 for the tool
$29.00 for 50 ice cubes

Try http://www.telephoneparts.com/product/EZRJ45

Don't know anything about the company, just ran into that site when I was looking up the EZ crimp tool. They have the tool ($51), connectors ($27/50), kits (even cheaper) and extra cutter blades. I've been making network cables on and off for almost 20 years and this looks much easier. This is what I would switch to if I had to make a bunch of cables again. And its made in the USA.

It looks like regular crimpers will crimp them OK, but I'll bet cutters will leave too much wire sticking out from the plug. Probably need to go back and trim it with a razor knife and cut your finger off in the process. Your saved money will be spent at the walk-in clinic.

I use T&B snap-n-seal for coax. I've got the orignal pliers style tool which works fine and compresses all connector types. The new fancy tool that strips and compresses only does F-type connectors so in the unlikely event you ever want to make cables using s-n-s RCA or BNC you'll have to get another tool.

For a coax stripper, I picked up a new T&B CST596711 on ebay a few months ago. $10-$15.

For a cat5 stripper I was using my regular wire stripper cutter blades to cut through the sheath and went too deep a couple of times so I picked up a tool at blows for I think about $6. Here's a picture of it. Looks cheap but it works great.
http://www.2mcctv.com/product_info-Ideal-IdealUCS45167.html

Yea, I predict you will use your old crimper a few times, then when you start having seizures you will scramble to get an EZ crimper :)

For stripping Cat5, I've used these and liked them.

For terminating Cat5, the EZ45 as mentioned.

For coax strippers I use these. They work pretty well but can be finicky to adjust to cust inner and outer just right.

For terminating RG, I like the ICM Linear Compression tool.

I've had success with these, YMMV. These were the first links I found, not necessarily the vendors I recommend getting them from.

Yea, I predict you will use your old crimper a few times, then when you start having seizures you will scramble to get an EZ crimper :)

For stripping Cat5, I've used these and liked them.

For terminating RG, I like the ICM Linear Compression tool.

Maybe I'll "gift" that old crimper to my cousin... :)

I have that coax stripper already, actually....so woohoo! Something I don't actually have to buy!

The cat stripper and RG compression tool both look great...I definitely want something that compresses BNC and RCA connectors too.

Thanks Steve, that helps....you wouldn't believe how little success I was having when googling "tool strippers". :eek:

I don't have to search for strippers, I already know where they all hang out :) Just have to know the right keywords!

Before I decide on terminating tools, here's the question....

How important would you rate it that I test all these wires I run? I'm thinking that coax would probably be least likely to have been abused somehow during the pull....but the 22/4 and cats5/6 might have been.

So I can get this EZ tool and a bunch of ice cubes and terminate all those cat5/6 connections and test them....but when it finally comes time to organize the wires in the wiring room, one important step of that is trimming the length of those wires to the right size and removing too much slack, right? Then that means snipping off all those ice cubes I'd already installed. Seems like a waste.

So, is it better to waste that money on terminators and have the circuits tested, or is it relatively unlikely a wire will be bad (so long as not abused during the pull) and so I can wait in terminators until the wiring in the room is more organized?

Isn't there any easier way to test the wires? I use a ringer. It was a little pricey at Home Depot, but I can just ring the wires out and make sure they still 'work'. Even tho I labeled all the wires for supoer easy identification, I thought ringing them was a way to test them

Is this correct?

The ice cubes are the clear plastic terminations on ethernet and phone connections.

These ice cubes do what you want, you push the wires all the way through it, crimp then trim the excess off the front.

Hmmm, I didn't realize they made ones you can pus the wires all the way through. Sounds like a good idea, but it's rather expensive.

Speaking of cat5/6 termination, you'll get the hang of it after about 5 of them. I don't have the super special ends, but I can put one on now in about 20 seconds (including stripping/separating, etc). Once you line up the pairs, just use a fingernail clipper and cut them all in line. Push them into the connector and crimp.

I guess I went the cheaper route with my tools, or at least the route that allows me to use them the most. I just have a nice Cat5/phone crimper from Home Depot, a nice compression crimper thing from eBay, a nice stripper from Home Depot, a cheap punch down tool, and a pair of fingernail clippers. I can pretty much use these for any and all wiring. The wire stripper works great for the cat5, though it won't strip all of the pairs at the same time.

Let me get a pic of my tools.

Another note, what they said was very important about terminating cat5. Strip back about 3 inches of the sheath and it'll be easy as hell. When I first tried terminating my first cat5/6, I had a hell of a time. I only stipped back about an inch. Yeah, pain in the ass.....I could not find anything anywhere on the Inet that said how much to strip back....

Here is what I would do (and did for my friend's house when helping him run his wiring).

We ran all the security wiring and I tested each run (two pair and single pair) for shorts and opens/continuity. After the magnetic sensors were installed (but before drywall was in place), I then just tested for continuity only (using a "test" magnet) as this was done at a much later time. In the case of motion and glass breaks I had a 12 volt supply and monitored contact closure with a meter aftert they were installed..

The reason I did it this way was because I was paranoid about the security wiring being positively correct and sound!

The coax and cat5e runs were not tested till after termination. Then the cat5e cables were tested with a Paladin tester that I obtained from circuit city once both ends were terminated. The reason was (again in my mind) that the Cat5e runs were not as critical as the security wiring, plus we had extra runs in almost all locations. You really have to mangle coax to mess it up so we did not check it till after it was terminated.

I used the exact same ringer from Snypez's last pic above, but it was just used to identify the cable bundles (i.e. not to "check' them).

If you need to know the best way to check security wiring, refer to my Security System Install How-To.

Hi Gents,

It's a little of topic, but several of you seem to be right in the process of wiring new construction home.

I am looking at purchasing a home through a developer. It is unclear to me how the coordination would work between myself and the develops construction crew for running all the wiring associated with HA.

I guess i could specify the whole thing and have them do it, but i doubt i'm willing to pay that price.

Will the developer builder let me run wires through the house while his crews are also working?

Basically this is a spec house so i think the builders approach is that he wants to be left alone untill the walkthrough before closing.

This applies to HA, but also to all the other items i want to have imput on..kitchen design, etc. Am i better of finding a piece of land and a general contractor rather than going through a devleoper? Finding land is tough where i live. any open piece of land is already subdivided and owned by developed who want to build you a house rather than just sell you the land.

Anything specific about the compression fittings i need to know? Are most suitable for 3ghz? I thought i read somewhere that the actuall F-Connector (threaded stud) needs to be 'special' in order to do 3ghz...is this right?

Any advice/strategy is much appreicated.

Back