Philips pulls the plug on Pronto

Pretty amazing since they just announced the 9500 and Pront Edit 3.

Makes me even happier that I went to all Harmony Ones a couple of years ago.

Kevin

Have you tried Harmony, Jon?
Yes, that's why I went to the Pronto's! :( I do think the Harmony's work well for an AV remote. I'm interetested in not just an AV remote, but something that acts as a whole house control interface. For what I wanted to do, I didn't feel the Harmony's were the right choice.

The two-way nature of the Pronto with the ability to send/receive serial and TCP/IP data is very powerful. Just look at the HAI interface module that you can load onto the Pronto. This basically turns the Pronto into an OmniTouch. There are many other two-way "modules" available for whole house audio systems, lighting systems, AV servers.

Screen-Capture-Home.png

I do think the Harmony's work well for an AV remote. I'm interetested in not just an AV remote, but something that acts as a whole house control interface. . .
Exactly. So now what is a good substitute for the Pronto that has, in particular, WiFi support and the control power that Jon describes? I had been in the planning stages, but now. . .

Wait a couple of months and you might be able to pick up some Pronto's for a good discount! There are also some rumors that someone may pick up the product line and continue it. Either way, the remotes are going to keep working just fine for several years to come. I have two TSU9600's and two RFX9600 extenders. If the pricing comes down due to distributors dumping them, I might pick up a TSU9800 now.

I do think the Harmony's work well for an AV remote. I'm interetested in not just an AV remote, but something that acts as a whole house control interface. . .
Exactly. So now what is a good substitute for the Pronto that has, in particular, WiFi support and the control power that Jon describes? I had been in the planning stages, but now. . .

URC has some new stuff coming out that looks interesting, I don't know how hard it will be to get the software.
Not all dealers will give it out and they might protect the new Total Control line more. http://www.universalremote.com/

I think Android and iPhone/ iPad stuff will get better and better and I see Savant made a remote that adds hard buttons to an iPod Touch.

Sounds like you need an iPod touch with a good app :(
The biggest problem for me with an iPod/iPad/iPhone is that there are no hard keys. For AV usage, it really is advantageous to have keys that you can operate without having to look at the remote. With my normal TV viewing, I do this a lot with my Tivo control - play/pause/skip/mute/volume/menu/cursor, etc. No way you can sit and do that with an iPod.

They've been trying to sell it. My guess would be that they wanted too much money for it. Now that it's dead, the price might come down and someone might then be able to buy it.

While I agree that having hard buttons on any remote is key, I also recognize that it is hard to sell a $1200 remote when you can get an iPad (which is "cooler" to the users friends anyway) for 1/3 the cost. I don't see any of these companies that only do high end remote control surviving.

I agree with your pricing comments as well. No reason a remote like the Philips TSU9600 shouldn't be in the $600 range.

Harmony one? You're comparing apples and oranges.
Not if all I wanted was a quality programmable remote. At the time, I wanted one remote to handle all my AV equipment. In 2003 I bought the TSU3000. Set it up, but it was a lot of work, and I missed some of the hard buttons. Plus, it wasn't comfortable one-handed. In 2005, I sold the 3000 and went to Harmony with the 880. Plenty of hard buttons, easy-to-use one-handed, a snap to program, and quality support. In 2008 I bought a couple of Harmony Ones and have been very pleased. Again, I wanted to control AV, so didn't need all the newer Prontos can do, plus saved a LOT of money. Now with all the Android tablets, Ipads, etc., the need for the Pronto is less. I'm sorry they're closing shop. I'd be upset if I had them still.

Kevin

Back