PEX Plumbing Anyone Has Anyone Installed It?

Digger

I need to redo the plumbing in the laundry room and want to try the PEX. Has anyone used it and did you find any preferences as far as teh crimps etc? Any suggestions on anything? There is a local place that provides free delivery (next day since they are local) and is cheaper than Home Depot etc. so I plan on doing this over the weekend.

My new house is all done in PEX. I did not do the plumbing but did one retrofit job (installed a shut off valve to the hose bib circuit.) If you are only doing a few fittings, the items I got at Lowe's work great and are rediculously simple. No tools required. The PEX simply slides into the neck of the fitting and that is it. Water tight. And easy to remove as well via a pushback collar. They are more expensive then the type requiring a crimping tool, but if you only need a handful of fittings the extra cost is still less than buying the tool and the simplicity is unbeatable. I can't believe I used to have to sweat all of that together in the old days.

I actually did a bit with a type that is not mentioned above, you have plastic rings which have to be put over the end of the pipe and then expanded using a specialized tool which then shrinks back to normal sized over your fitting... no leaks a few years later, but it is more difficult to work with

I actually did a bit with a type that is not mentioned above, you have plastic rings which have to be put over the end of the pipe and then expanded using a specialized tool which then shrinks back to normal sized over your fitting... no leaks a few years later, but it is more difficult to work with
I use pex rings like these. - http://www.pexsupply.com/HydroPEX-HCRIMP03...-Ring-4968000-p
certainly the best but the tool is expensive.
http://www.pexsupply.com/Watts-0650872-3-8...l-Kit-4967000-p

If you only have a few fittings you may be able to get the sharkbite push on style. these are fine but you really need to secure against sideways movement. you start to twist and they can leak.

If anyone is mail ordering stuff I really like mvsupply.biz. small guy down in NC or VA I think but I have ordered from him a dozen time or so, always shipped right out.

PEXSUPPLY.COM is local and I will receive next day. I was thinking of the cinch clamps made of stainless steel

We did PEX and it was quick to install and has worked well so far. It is very quiet (water makes less noise moving through pipes). Our plumber said he was happy to do copper but would charge about 30% more (I think that is right, I don't remember exactly).

PEX seems to be the most economical and has several advantages. Its fast, easy, easy to make changes, should not freeze up, should not collect sediment on the interior walls etc.

I can get 200 feet of 3/4 for $90 delivered which is cheaper than Home Depot. Also fittings are cheaper. I can also return what I dont use of connectors etc.

I used to sweat pipe but I am really not in the mood anymore. Pex seems to be the best alternative on the market today.

I just put an addition on my house and ran everything in PEX. The one thing I would highly reccomend is that for the larger diameter pipe is to buy the straight sticks rather than a coil because the memory on this stuff is insaine. Have you ever tried to straighten out 1 1/4" pex on a 100' roll-not fun.
The only downside to pex, in my opinion, are the manifolds. The PEX zurn manifold is ok, but very fragile. These units are made of plastic and easily break. My HVAC contractor bumped into mine and broke the mounting clips off. Needless to say I had to replace the entire unit.

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/style_ima...e_types/gif.gif

Attachments

• DSC_0200.jpg
    DSC_0200.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 49
Looks like the stuff I used was ProPex not just the pex, looking at the tools to install it

http://www.pexsupply.com/Wirsbo-Uponor-Q62...heads-2412000-p

The tool will cost as much as the material for the ProPex. I will go with the stainless steel clamps since I am only doing my laundry room to start and will have enough material left for most of the other plumbing if I want to replace it.

FYI the store you reference has an ebay store where the prices are cheaper than their website. They are a few miles from my house but do not permit store pickups so I have to have everything shipped.

Back