Omni Pro UPB Status Tracking

So then on the OPII links 25-30 are related to the "room" UPB switches; such that activating link 29 of room 5 will dim all said UPB devices 35-40 40%.

So then on the OPII links 25-30 are related to the "room" UPB switches; such that activating link 29 of room 5 will dim all said UPB devices 35-40 40%.
You got it. Personally, I name my link ID's in Upstart with the room name so they are easy to locate end edit.

Also remember that you don't have to use the A/B/C/D room links for the 80/60/40/20%. You can do any levels you want with the links. In my screenshot, look at the living room links (#3 & #4). In link #3 (Rear Only), the lights at the front of the room are set at 0% when they receive link ID 3 and the lights in the rear of the room at set at 100% for that link ID.

Also, only the first 192 links are pre-allocated to the HLC method. You can add additional links to your switches using link ID's above 192 for other special lighting scenes you may want. I found though that I only use a couple of additonal links as the room link ID's work well for most circumstances.

UPB_Links.JPG

Jeff,
If you go the HLC route, you will not have any problems with tracking the status of your lights.
I also started my UPB network through UPSTART. I had all kinds of problems with the OPII keeping up with the actual status of the lights.
I finally enrolled my switches through the OPII (you can now also do it through PC Access) in HLC mode and haven't looked back since then. My lights statuses are always correct.
I only use UPSTART for setting the LED lights and dimmer properties.
As far as links and programming, there is really nothing I have come across yet (at least for my application) that UPSTART can do that can not be done with PC Access.

Jeff,
If you go the HLC route, you will not have any problems with tracking the status of your lights.
I also started my UPB network through UPSTART. I had all kinds of problems with the OPII keeping up with the actual status of the lights.
I finally enrolled my switches through the OPII (you can now also do it through PC Access) in HLC mode and haven't looked back since then. My lights statuses are always correct.
I only use UPSTART for setting the LED lights and dimmer properties.
As far as links and programming, there is really nothing I have come across yet (at least for my application) that UPSTART can do that can not be done with PC Access.

Ernesto,
Thanks.
Right now I don't really need tracking, I don't use the UPB states as conditionals.
I plan on installing a couple of 5.7e touch pads in the Spring so I'm sure I will want it then (floor plan and light statuses).
I'm looking at the HLC setup and am wondering how well it will track the links.
It looks like the room links are dedicated on, off and levels.
I assume I can't change that scheme at all without problems. Like leave one of the room lights off the levels commands.
For the room scenes, does it track just unit on/off or does it track unit levels?

I have several keypads that do not control lights but send links, usually scenes of several lights.
When those links get sent there is not status sent via the rocker switch since they are not local loads.
I also have several scenes that work across multiple rooms.

Since HLC leaves some scenes free for user customization, I'm wondering how well the Omni tracks the status of these scenes since they are not one of the default actions.
I don't see where you can tell the Omni what units are enrolled in what scenes.

I did have a question regarding the UPB Status Tracking timeout.
From watching the UPB line traffic, it appears the Omni does not poll the units after scene execution in stright UPB mode.
In HLC mode, does the Omni poll all units, or just the ones assigned to the scene?
It seems like there would be a lot of UPB traffic if it polled every unit in a large installation.
If it does poll all units, it seems it would be relatively easy or HAI to enable the status polling under straight UPB as well.

I've got some time before I will need to switch over.
I'll need to look at my current install and HLC and find the easiest way to change over.
What I will probably do is setup a test file in HLC, reconfigure everything, and see how it works.
:D

I am a new user of this forum and this seems to be the right thread to post my question.

Earlier in the thread there was a discussion on configuring Simply Automated devices to run under HLC. Does anyone have a matrix for programming an SA US2-40 for HLC. As I understand it, the 2-40 switches send a link to themselves to turn on and off. Many of the rooms in my install are all CFL, so the devices need to be configured in a non-dimming configuration.

Also, as I understand HLC, you configure 8 device rooms with the first device reserved for a room controller. So assume I am configuring a kids bedroom with 3 non-dimming CFL loads and no controller. Let's take room 9. As I understand it, I will leave Unit 65 (for the unused controller) empty, and configure Units 66, 67 and 68 with the SA US2-40s to mimic HLC per the matrix requested above. Is this correct?

Does that mean that I can use Links 69-72 for other purposes, e.g., to put a multi-button faceplate on the US2-40 to get an ALL ON or ALL OFF for the room.

Also, let's take a look at a room with all HAI HLC devices and a 6-Button controller. Let's assume these are all in Room 1, Links 001-008. If these devices are all Relay switches, it seems that other than Links 001 and 002 (all on and all off), the remaining Links 003-008 are unused. Is there any reason these links cannot be used for other purposes by programming them in UpStart, e.g., to control other devices. Please let me know. I understand how HLC uses links to create room scenes, but very few of my rooms will have scene controllers and I don't want to mess with the unused links if it will have negative consequences in HLC or for the OPII.

If you have done this sort of setup before I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

JonW,

For some odd reason I could never see the UPB status with PCA3. I though I had configured everything fine but just have been concentrating on my X10/Insteon to UPB (still not done with the second floor). Meanwhile the lights were going on as scheduled on the OPII. Didn't give it a second thought until today.

I currently have three UPB PIM's set up. One on a computer for just Upstart (SA-USB UPB PIM) , another one (SA-Serial UPB PIM) for HA server and third HAI-UPB Serial PIM on the HAI OPII.

The original HAI Serial UPB went "bad" after a couple of weeks (when I first connected it to the OPII months ago) and I had it replaced. Plugged the new one in and all appeared fine. All of the UPB lighting schedules were only controlled by HAI OPII and worked fine. (but I never saw the status on PCA/OPII on the actual UPB devices updating - thought it was me).

Today I swapped the HAI-UPB serial PIM with the SA UPB serial PIM and now I can see the UPB unit status in PCA. I then did a UPB reset on the HAI Serial UPB PIM and plugged it into another computer using Upstart. It didn't communicate with the PIM. So it seems like this will be my third HAI Serial UPB PIM replacement.

I am now wondering what MFG PIM you are using with your HAI OPII panel and whether I should just get another SA UPB PIM for the OPII?

I'm using HAI PIM's on both my HAI panel and on my Rain8. I've had the Rain8 installed for about 2 years and the OmniPro II for about 6 months. I also use SA PIM's for programming UpStart from the computer.

Years ago (during the X10 days) I used to lose light switches and interfaces all the time until I installed a Leviton whole house surge protector. Since then, I can't even recall the last faulty powerline interface device I've had.

I am not sure that the HAI PIM ever worked right because I plugged it into the OPII right away never connecting it to Upstart. The other two SA PIM's have been in place since the beginning of my UPB migration.

I had to fall back to the non totally working HAI PIM because while I did have two way communications with the SA PIM to OPII connection I ended up not being able to talk to the two PCS switches in place (rest are SA switches) via the OPII.

Yes the Leviton surge supressor is sitting next to the panel - not installed yet.

I then moved the SA PIM where the HAI PIM was, then tested it with Upstart (saw everything) and plugged in the SA PIM to the OPII. Worked - talking to all the UPB devices / seeing status on all of the UPB devices.

JonW,

You mentioned on one of your threads the ability for the OPII to recognize a non HAI UPB switch as an HLC device. I've been playing a bit installing both SA/PCS switches (next HAI) and want to configure one to be recognized as an HLC device. I have read the documentation relating to the HAI UPB configuration matrix and now (with SA PIM) can see status just fine. I would like the OPII to recognize a switch as an ALC switch testing a PCS/SA switch. What would I have to do?

JonW,

You mentioned on one of your threads the ability for the OPII to recognize a non HAI UPB switch as an HLC device. I've been playing a bit installing both SA/PCS switches (next HAI) and want to configure one to be recognized as an HLC device. I have read the documentation relating to the HAI UPB configuration matrix and now (with SA PIM) can see status just fine. I would like the OPII to recognize a switch as an ALC switch testing a PCS/SA switch. What would I have to do?
Pete, I am unlcear by what you are saying here: " I would like the OPII to recognize a switch as an ALC switch testing a PCS/SA switch.".

As far as the OPII recognizing a switch as an HLC equivalent, the OPII transmits to and receives status from PCS/SA switches when configured via UpStart using the HAI documentation that outlines rooms, ID, Links, etc. required for HLC mode communication. I always program with UpStart and do not use the OPII to directly program PCS/SA switches.

Thanks cornutt and JonW. Just wondering if I could use the OPII to program the non HAI switches..

No; it will recognize the device as non-HAI and refuse to do it. You can do it through Upstart, though. Just set it to the unit number that shows in the OPII configuration for that device in PC Access. You don't need to set up all those links unless you are using a scene switch or a whole-house switch to control that room. Once it's set to the proper unit number, the OPII will play nice with it.

Back