New light system for hallway and stairs?

bernardxdro

I found this deal online for Safely Transforms your Outlet Cover Plate into a Convenient Night Light.

Easy-to-install sleek, and energy-efficient design.

Is this worth $13.5? Is anyone used them before, I would appreciate any advise.

Thank you.

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum Bernardxdro.

I cannot see your link. 

Edit your post and spell it out long hand...IE: dub dub dub dot outletcoverplate dot net eh?

Does the night light have a battery back up?

Here use 120VAC EL lighting in hallways (ghostly glow on 24/7) and over the years added battery backed up plug in lamps that illuminate the hallways when the power goes off.  They do use up a plug on the outlets in the hallways.  None of it is automated by the automation mothership. 

I use the Legrand night lights for the hall and main bathroom. Nothing special, just an LED light (and combo outlet on one model) but uses so few watts that it doesn't matter if on all of the time. Actually it does have a sensor but the light level is so low in the upstairs hallway and bathroom that it doesn't do anything. IMO.

@bill,

Just purchase one of the ones mentioned for sale and modify it to suit your needs. 

guidelight_review.jpg

breakdown_guidelight_3.jpg

Make it a little automation project.  Personally the cover plate is still not really innoucous.  That said Qubino makes tiny Z-Wave modules (1.5" square).   Only thing you need is a US Z-Wave frequency Qubino.

size9.png

Here all of my metal electrical boxes are 4" X 4",  Duplex wall outlets are single mudplates over the box such that there is plenty of room in the box for a Qubino experiment. 

You could probably go even with a smaller footprint using a tiny Zigbee module installing it on the coverplate if you wanted to play with Zigbee.  I have taken apart my Zigbee wireless sensors apart and the boards inside are tiny.  IE: the battery is larger than the Zigbee board.

AutomatedOutlet said:
Interesting device. I can see a few uses for them. I guess they just stay on all day too though...

The wallplate nightlight gizmo does have a light level sensor on it.  Which presumably turns it off if there's enough ambient light.  My past experience with sensors like that doesn't give me a lot of hope though. 

I installed a combo GFCI outlet and night light in the MBa.  The quality of the light is horrendous, and with insufficient lumens.

Will have to confirm, but I think it's a Pass & Seymour.

Another way to add control an a combo outlet/night light would be to use a switched outlet, though you'd lose the ability (I think) to split the outlet (one outlet switched, the other unswitched), like you could with a conventional outlet.

Here still utilizing EL lighting in the hallways and bathrooms.  The hallway EL lighting is bigger but not brighter.  It is on 24/7 and glows just enough at night to provide an innocuous light. 

For no power conditions utilize plugged in with battery LED brighter lighting.  These have worked fine over the years.

I do not really see a reason or purpose to remotely automate this sort of lighting other than to watch it virtually working?

There is a tabs that stick out from the back of the plate that make contact with the terminals on the sides of the receptacle.

Magical?//

I have some of the SnapPower GuideLights.  I like them.  I am also a big fan of true downward aiming nightlights.  These do not light up a room.

They do have a light level sensor.  Some of my locations are dark enough that the GuideLight is on nearly 24/7, but I am OK with that.  I suspect that your ROI on automating a single LED nightlight any further than a simple photocell would be poor.

The installation of the SnapPower is VERY easy.  So they are great for the non-DIYers or the non-electrician-types.

My interest isn't in automating them, per se.  I'm interested in potentially monitoring motion in places that would also be reasonable candidates for nightlight-like illumination.  Motion sensing with a different focus than what might be useful for security/alarm detection.  

I'd like to have reasonably unobtrusive looking gizmo that could serve double-duty.  

pete_c said:
Here use 120VAC EL lighting in hallways (ghostly glow on 24/7) and over the years added battery backed up plug in lamps that illuminate the hallways when the power goes off.  They do use up a plug on the outlets in the hallways.  None of it is automated by the automation mothership. 

Hey Pete, how have you implemented the EL wire?   Ceiling, baseboard?  Got any photos of it.

There are so many types of this stuff.  I did a project with it once (frame around projector screen).  It's cool stuff.  Needs an inverter.  How did you wire/hide the inverter?

I'm thinking this is a great night light solution with a cool look.

--Russ

Back