My work so far: Elk M1 system

Wow!

How much was the rack selling for? I like that dolly...just built one last week for my tool bench. Drywall looks awesome, very clean.

Now that the drywall is up, how do you run new wires to the enclosures? Pull cords left?

I'll be putting my first can in soon - I guess I should run the cables through some conduit, from the ceiling down to the enclosure, when I install the can, so that drywall won't limit future cable runs.

I guess you won't be needing any more cable, as it seems you're very well prepared.

man those grafik eyes look nice.. i'd been considering getting one to power the fan / sconces and shades in my living room, but i'm already installing a touchscreen in there.. I've got the radioRA system so i can kind of do the same thing with the elk calculating day / night and turning on / off lights at apropriate times.. but still the master interface for it is so slick.

Congrats, it's a nice install.. i've been meaning to ask though, is it at all confusing to people when they come over? i already get enough strange looks since the radioRA switches are double tap to full intensity and single tap for preset dim... so people are always asking "how do i get the lights to come all the way on?", so i was wondering what people's opinons were on the grafik eye

Your attention to detail is impressive! They look perfect.

Mind sharing what you'd do differently, next time?

Must be one of those lead and iron laptops...

That rack looks awesome - what are you using for sources? Or did I miss that earlier in the thread?

No end in sight, because you need to buy some screws, and make a shelf for a modem??? Oh, sarcasm?

Looks absolutely awesome!

I'm almost done, too! Just another 5-6 years...
double_stud_wall_2_smaller.jpg

Busy Saturday, CORT.

What's your primary doorbell?

You're brave to work above a nice-looking car, on the ladder - I'm sure I'd drop a screwdriver onto that paint.

Did you consider non-stereo speakers in the garage, since you won't be sitting still in there?

Wow, looks great, CORT. I always look forward to reading your write-ups. Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the link to those barrier strips. I have never seen those. Where did you purchase those from?

Wow, CORT, impressive wiring in that enclosure.

Are you trying to say you have 16 devices on the RS485 data bus?

And those additional stud bays, to the right of the enclosures, are taken?

It's hard to see from the photo, and you probably know, but I think you can have 2 M1DBH's run in parallel, from the control. Just run the 22/4 into the third, new enclosure for the second M1DBH.

Do you like the circuit board glides?

1. I know you linked to a water sensor you used, near the beginning of your thread.
http://www.smarthome.com/7115X/Extra-Water...toff-Kit/p.aspx
Did you use this same type of sensor throughout your house? Or did you just use the one?

2. Are those 3 Elk Power Distribution Modules, halfway down on the right, all positioned within the same white plastic enclosure? What's below that? And below that (black)?

3. What do you use the M1RB for?

Thanks so much for sharing, CORT.

Thanks, CORT. I didn't think those 3 power distribution modules would fit in the white plastic enclosure! Nice customization.

What's running off the Elk power distribution modules? All smokes? You'll need more for the 4-wire GRI sensors (I think - trying to plan this myself). Lots of empty space on that wall, begging for a third enclosure. ;)

The Altronix PD8 runs to the APC? There's something else I have to add to the list.

Edit - just for clarification, for anyone else who aspires to a similar elegant install, you're using the Altronix PD8CB (PD8 uses fused outputs and not the PTC's).

Nice work, Cort. I've missed your updates since Aug - glad I saw them today.

Now I know what I need to pull in my kitchen remodel, for the TV. B) And, I now know that Somfy motor sucks; won't use it in the ktichen remodel, nor in the MBR.

Any concerns about the sirens located outside, relatively exposed to the elements?

I continue to work on my system, and the pictures are updated. Is it ever done?

As I progress, I find that I need another input expansion board--the present 32 zones are not enough when most everything is home run, and my system's 12 VDC demands may be more than what the M1 can provide. I think I can rearrange the Elk's enclosure slightly to accommodate another input board, extra battery, and charger. Plus, I wish that I had known more about smoke detectors when the house was built. I would have used smoke detectors integrated with the Elk rather than a network of conventional ionization/photoelectric Kidde detectors. I am debating about how to connect these conventional smoke detectors to the panel. A GE 350CX might be appropriate, assuming it can work with the Kidde detectors.

Did I mention that I want to put another keypad at the top of the stairs going down to the walk-out basement. Then the basement will be a separate area in the M1's programming. As I said, it is never really over.

Hi there
I am reading your progress information with great interest. About the smoke detectors. Do you know what smoke detectors would work best with the Elk system?
Regards, Hans

Back