Motion Trigger for Tstat

cipherwar

I would like to create a rule on the M1G to have a motion trigger the setback of a thermostat. Here is my setup:

Motion detector in room connected to burg interior zone on M1
HAI Omnistat being controlled by M1G (this is working fine with the iphone Ek M1 app)

What I would like to do is setup a rule that detects when there has been no motion in the room for a period of 2 hours.

This lack of motion will trigger the setback of the thermostat.

When motion is detected again the thermostat will return to the normal setting.

Has anyone created such a rule?

Thanks

I would like to create a rule on the M1G to have a motion trigger the setback of a thermostat. Here is my setup:

Motion detector in room connected to burg interior zone on M1
HAI Omnistat being controlled by M1G (this is working fine with the iphone Ek M1 app)

What I would like to do is setup a rule that detects when there has been no motion in the room for a period of 2 hours.

This lack of motion will trigger the setback of the thermostat.

When motion is detected again the thermostat will return to the normal setting.

Has anyone created such a rule?

Thanks

I would use an output that turns on when there is motion, off when there is no motion.

i.e.

When motion trips
Turn output x on for 2 hours

When output x turns on
Set thermostat to xx

When output x turns off
Set thermostat to yy

The problem with linking the stat to turn on when there is motion, it's fine, however there's nothing that resets the time as you move along, lots of potential cycling with a rule like listed above.

How about setting that input to link to a counter. As long as it sees motion, it resets the counter, then if it sees nothing for the interval listed, it decrements the counter until it hits 0, then sets back the t-stat. Rule could be modified by arm states as well.

I would use an output that turns on when there is motion, off when there is no motion.

i.e.

When motion trips

When output x turns on
Set thermostat to xx

When output x turns off
Set thermostat to yy

DELInstallations said:
The problem with linking the stat to turn on when there is motion, it's fine, however there's nothing that resets the time as you move along, lots of potential cycling with a rule like listed above.

How about setting that input to link to a counter. As long as it sees motion, it resets the counter, then if it sees nothing for the interval listed, it decrements the counter until it hits 0, then sets back the t-stat. Rule could be modified by arm states as well.

DEL

I would have to disagree in the constant cycling.... The rule as written above would be a minimum 2 hrs per cycle.

When motion trips

You could even go a bit further and set restart is running. so that would be 2 hrs from last motion.

Yup - DEL, I'm not sure your reasoning - but that's probably exactly the best rule to use (with a "restart if running" on that 2 hour timer) - as long as someone walks through the space every 2 hours, it'll keep restarting the timer... and by having the changing state of the output trigger the HVAC that ensures it'll only send commands to the HVAC when the timer state starts or stops - it's the right way to do it.

To make it even better, add "custom" variables for the set-points so you can change them through RM or another remote automation platform.

Using a counter for this application works great. I use this strategy for auto arming, temp setback, and to prod the family to shut the exterior doors. For each exterior door, I increase a counter every second when the door is open, reset the counter to zero when the door closes, and beep all keypads indefinitely when the counter is greater than 20. The keypad beeping drives them nuts until they finally shut the door(s). And, you can easily add an output to bypass any of these features.

Here is what I did and it appears to work well. The tstat turns off after 2:30 of inactivity and doesn't turn back on again until it detects motion in the area. I haven't found any rapid cycling. BTW, came up with this solution in conjunction with ELK tech support.

Code:
Whenever OFFICE MOTION (Zn 89) becomes not secure
	Then Turn Office Motion (Out 50) on for 2 Hrs, 30 mins, Restart Timere if Running

Whenever OFFICE MOTION (Out 50) state is Turned Off
	And Office (Tstat 3) is set to Cool
		Then Set Office (Tstat 3) Cooling Desired Temp to 78 Deg. F.

Whenever OFFICE MOTION (Out 50) State is Turned ON
	And Office (Tstat 3) is Set to Cool
		Then Set Office (Tstat 3) Cooling Desired Temp to 72 Deg F

Back