Mosquito Misting Systems

johngalt

The mosquito's are pretty bad where I live and now that it is summer we can't really be in our backyard for any length of time without being bit.

I am looking at mosquito misting systems that spray a fine mist 2-4 times a day for about 30 seconds.

Some of the systems I am looking at include:

http://www.mosquitonix.com (Not DIY)
http://www.mosquitomax.com
http://www.mistaway.com

Does anyone have any experience with mosquito misting?  Suggestions in general?

I would of course want to get a system that I could interface with my Elk.  It would be nice to have some automation so that if motion was detected outside and a person/dog was outside to skip or delay that misting cycle.  

I don't have direct experience, but i was at a co-workers home a couple of weeks ago and found that she had one on her back porch. She had it directly fed by a 100+oz bottle of Pinesol. She swore by it and said she hasn't had any mosquito problems since she started running it.

How do they derive the pressure?  Is it a contained bottle or compressor?

It would be nice to somehow use a standard mist system (look up Orbit Mist) attached to your water supply, then inject the Pinesol or whatever into that, but I am not sure I would trust a back flow prevent as the protection from the household supply getting contaminated.

Another idea is to just use a (hand held) pesticide sprayer, but you would have to occasionally pump it.  It would be interesting to find a DIY way to use this and somehow ;provide the pressure automatically.

BraveSirRobbin said:
How do they derive the pressure?  Is it a contained bottle or compressor?

It would be nice to somehow use a standard mist system (look up Orbit Mist) attached to your water supply, then inject the Pinesol or whatever into that, but I am not sure I would trust a back flow prevent as the protection from the household supply getting contaminated.

Another idea is to just use a (hand held) pesticide sprayer, but you would have to occasionally pump it.  It would be interesting to find a DIY way to use this and somehow ;provide the pressure automatically.
There seems to be two different methods on the market. http://store.mosquitomax.com/Mosquito-Mist-Systems-s/21.htm

One is you fill a 55 galloon drum with water and pesticide concentrate (or alternative).  There is then a motor, controller, timer, etc. that sits on top of the 55 galloon drum.  You need to refill the drum about every 1-2 months depending on use.

Another way is a tankless system which you connect a bottle of concentrated pesticide and connect to a hose spigot.  The digital controller allows you to enter in the misting schedule, time of each mist, dilution ratio, etc.  Some also have sensors so a misting cycle will be skipped if their is significant wind or the temperature is below 50 degrees.  Some have iPhone apps or RF remotes to do an immediate mist, skip the next scheduled mist, etc.  Some detect if the line has been cut or there is a clog and shuts the system down.

These systems are pretty pricey.  

The price of the Orbit mister pump looks a lot more appealing.  The hose and nozzles aren't too bad.  I suppose I could install the hose and nozzles and then try the orbit mister connected to a 5 galloon drum of water/pinesol and have it controlled by my Elk.  

I am not opposed to paying more and having it "just work."  However, I would want to be able to control it with my Elk to do an immediate mist and/or skip a cycle.  I suppose I could hack the remote and wire it up to my panel if needed.

BaduFamily said:
good grief. endocrine disruptions galore.
I am with you.  I despise pesticides or chemicals of any kind really.  But I don't know what else to do.

I live in South Carolina and the mosquitos are active 24 hours a day.  I pushed my son in the swing yesterday for about 10 minutes and he came in with 2 bites on his face.  Despite it being in the 90s I had long sleeves and pants for bug protection, but they still got his face.

I am open to all suggestions.  What else have people done to deal with rampant mosquitos?  I also don't want to spread DEET all over his face.  

I sympathize with you! DEET on a handkerchief around the neck?

This is only going to get worse as it all warms.

BaduFamily said:
I sympathize with you! DEET on a handkerchief around the neck?

This is only going to get worse as it all warms.
Thanks.  I will give that a try.

We also eliminated all the standing water, but that didn't seem to help.  We are thinking of adding a bucket or two of standing water almost as bait and then using mosquito dunks.  The larvae eat it and then die before they are old enough to fly away and bite.  They say the mosquito dunks are organic and safe for everything (except mosquito larvae) but even if they are not, it must be better than carpet bombing the backyard a few times a day.

For something different, have you considered bat houses? We put up a couple and after the bats established themselves the mosquitos almost completely disappeared. We keep some bird feeders around too, pretty much just to help control the other creepy-crawlies. About he only thing that we have to use pesticides for now are the fire ants, nothing wants to eat those LOL. We live in Alabama BTW, and like you, they can get out of control. Too bad you can't automate the bats!

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old old old house has a few Eucalyptus trees, current home has a row of Pine trees (very sticky).  They were planted as babies around 13 years ago.  Today they are about 20-30 feet tall.

pine-trees.jpg

Eucalyptus Trees

Eucalyptus Trees have beautiful blue green foliage, and peeling bark that attracts the eye. The trees can provide year around coloor in warmer climates, providing yards with attractive colors while other trees are dormant. Also, as an added bonus this tree will grow in containers. If you live in the North plant this tree in a container and bring it indoors once the weather starts getting cold.

These trees have a sweet aroma that’s similar to mint, and pine, only sweeter. It feels your yard with a natural fresh scent, while naturally telling mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas to beat it. Each leaf has a pocket filled with eucalyptol, an organic pest repelling oil. It’s also an ingredient in many mouth washes, and cough drops. These trees will add unique beauty to your landscape and provide a fresh aroma indoors and out while keeping bugs at bay. Place a few leaves around your house, in window seals, shelves, and under your pet’s bed to keep bugs away.

Pinaceae

A naturally-occurring compound prepared from pine oil that seems to deter mosquito biting and repels two kinds of ticks has been found by Agricultural Research Service (ARS) scientists.

A patent (US 7,378,557 B1) was issued on May 27 for the compound, isolongifolenone, and partners are being sought to bring this technology to commercial production.

Insect repellents are used widely to prevent bites from mosquitoes, sand flies, ticks and other arthropods. For the most part, people apply repellents just to avoid discomfort, but there is a more serious side to the use of these products. Human diseases caused by blood-feeding ticks and mosquitoes represent a serious threat to public health worldwide.

The Pinaceae (pine family) are trees or shrubs, including many of the well-known conifers of commercial importance such as cedars, firs, hemlocks, larches, pines and spruces. The family is included in the order Pinales, formerly known as Coniferales. Pinaceae are supported as monophyletic by their protein-type sieve cell plastids, pattern of proembryogeny, and lack of bioflavonoids. They are the largest extant conifer family in species diversity, with between 220 and 250 species (depending on taxonomic opinion) in 11 genera, and the second-largest (after Cupressaceae) in geographical range, found in most of the Northern Hemisphere, with the majority of the species in temperate climates, but ranging from subarctic to tropical. The family often forms the dominant component of boreal, coastal, and montane forests. One species, Pinus merkusii, grows just south of the equator in Southeast Asia. Major centres of diversity are found in the mountains of southwest China, Mexico, central Japan, and California.

Personally prefer the smell of Pine trees over Eucalyptus Trees (have too many memories of Vick's vapor rub from the 1960's - grandma's remedy for any colds).

Thanks for the suggestions. We do have bats in the area, but I read they can eat 100 mosquitos in an hour. That and a few hundred can fit in a bat house. Sign me up!

I grew up in Chicago and do recall bats around in the 50's and 60's and not many mosquitoes back then.  I would throw rocks up in the air and see bats swoop down to get the rocks.  Fast forward to the 70's recalling always having mosquitoes around in a home in suburbs at night fall.  We would always have to use bug juice at night while sitting on the deck.  Newer home / subdivision was very windy when there were no trees / houses here.  Never really noticed any mosquitoes.  The day I moved here though the neighbour was getting her mail and got knocked out by a piece of flying construction debris.  A few years back we did have an Owl hanging around.  I was going to build an owl home at the time.  The town used to send a misting truck late at nights sometimes here.  Lots of folks utilize those citronella /candles / tiki torches at night.

Many many years (70's) ago had to do that Chloroquine injection thing to my wife every day.  (she was very sick and jaundiced at the time).  I ran out of places to give her shots such that I did the circular thing on her butt or belly.  She did put a bunch of make-up on such that she could fly home.  It was a PITA.

Plant basil.  I used to plant Tomatoes and Basil plants.  Those years I remember NEVER EVER having mosquitoes in our gazebo area.  Looked it up once, basil is a mosquito deterrent.

Back