More details on HomeKit

picta

Apparently there was a separate session dedicated to HomeKit that provided more details on its future:

http://mashable.com/2015/06/10/ios-9-homekit-wwdc/

Highlights:

-new accessory types — including security systems and mechanical blinds
-new scenes and triggers
-iWatch support with or without the phone
-remote support without AppleTV
-allowing Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) devices to send notifications to your device

Promises...promises. Time will tell if they have another flop design. Apple has a long  history of failure..

The Mashable article is based on the "Homekit Update" session at WWDC 2015.  A video of the session is available to anyone with a (free) developer ID at:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/?id=210

The new features discussed are available in iOS 9.  Developers received a preview version at WWDC and a beta will be available in July.

For people here, the most interesting new feature is the new types of triggers.  iOS 8 included timer triggers but I never saw an implementation.  This year's session briefly showed how timer triggers could be either a fixed time or relative to sunrise/sunset.  (For example, turn on exterior lights 20 minutes before sunset and turn them off at 11:30 PM.)

Custom triggers, however, give Homekit true automation rather than just remote control via Siri.  In the session, they used the example of returning home from work automatically triggering the "I'm home" scene.  The trigger is activated based on 3 conditions:

Event:  front door unlocked
AND:   motion detected in front hall
AND:   time before 6:00 PM [1]

They described the API calls that programmers use to set up a custom trigger.  Note that in the simplest case, the "event" triggers an action; the conditions (like motion or time) are optional.  However, the list of conditions can also be arbitrarily long.  I believe the building blocks are there to do pretty much anything that current home automation systems offer.  Somebody "just" needs to put a nice interface on it.  There are conflicting reports on whether Apple is going to supply a "Home" app or leave it to third parties.  Apple has not said.

In the WWDC session, they used the Homekit Accessory Simulator[2] to demo the example above.  The presenter had configured the scene for arriving home ("Hi, house"), to include turning on several lights including setting Hue bulbs to specific colours.  "Bye, house" simply turned off those lights in his demo.  The event ("Characteristic condition") was selected to be the front door lock reporting "Unsecured".  The 'filter' conditions were then set up to be 'before 6:00 pm" and 'motion detected'.  When he simulated motion and unlocked the front door, sure enough, Homekit fired the "Hi, house" scene (since it was then before 6:00 pm).  The interface was clean and easy to follow even though this is just a demo app.

Now, if Ecobee will just give me an affordable upgrade path to the Homekit-enabled version of their thermostat...

Craig

[1] In real life, one would probably use 'after' some particular time but they were running the demo in the afternoon and this was a way to show how the time condition was used.
[2] Part of the XCode IDE, also available free to developers.

you are obviously paying much more attention than me, so - *where* is all of this logic implemented?  where does it live so it works when your iPhone is not at home?  to what do the BTLE devices connect when you are not at home?  

im really looking forward to homekit, but im still not fully understanding things.  i just don't get how a tiny BTLE plug on the far side of my house will be controllable by anything except a device physically in the room with it.  how are range issues overcome?

jkmonroe said:
you are obviously paying much more attention than me, so - *where* is all of this logic implemented?  where does it live so it works when your iPhone is not at home?  to what do the BTLE devices connect when you are not at home?  

im really looking forward to homekit, but im still not fully understanding things.  i just don't get how a tiny BTLE plug on the far side of my house will be controllable by anything except a device physically in the room with it.  how are range issues overcome?

There is still a lot that I'm not clear about.  For sure, your iPhone or iPad controls your Homekit accessories via wifi or BTLE when you are in the house.  They announced that Homekit in iOS 9 enables BTLE secure tunneling via wifi.  I'm pretty sure this requires an additional device.  Maybe it will be built into an updated AppleTV; I don't think they said specifically.  

When your iOS device is away, there are apparently two methods of controlling your accessories:

1) via an AppleTV in the house (third generation or later).  It must be signed into iCloud with the same Apple ID used on your iOS device.  I *think* the AppleTV acts as gateway or relay between the house accessories and your remote device.  But it could be that the Homekit database is replicated onto it (it is an iOS device itself, after all) and it handles the triggers on your behalf.  This latter scenario makes sense to me as your iOS device could be turned off or not have a data connection.  It would be stupid to have all your automation cease to operate in such scenarios.

2) your accessories can be registered with iCloud.  This was basically just mentioned in the session and not explained.  Apparently you then don't need an AppleTV in the house.  (At $69 USD, having an AppleTV isn't that big a hurdle...and it does other useful things.)  Maybe iCloud becomes the surrogate iOS device controlling the house.

One thing they did stress repeatedly is security and privacy.  All Homekit data is encrypted both when stored on iOS devices and when messages are passed between accessories and iOS.  Not even Apple can decrypt any of this information.  

Another whole aspect that is not well explained at this point, however, is multiple users.  Apparently there will be admin users and 'other' users.  The admin user will set up any new devices in the home and have complete control over them.  Other users can be created that are given limited abilities to control your accessories.  I have not seen any specifics on how this is implemented.  I'm not sure how the administrator can be given flexible control over security without it becoming overly complex.  And it the administration has to be able to be done on an iPhone screen.  It will be interesting to see how they handle the scenario of Grandma coming to stay with the kids while the parents are away on vacation!  

Craig

What I am hearing from interested readers is that all devices and hubs will require an Apple chip for security to make them work.

This may turn out to be the most expensive HA system on the market toda..... well maybe in a few years.

Yeah.  I don't think that's the worst thing, though.  Having some measure of end-to-end security, especially when connecting from mobile devices, is going to be a necessity moving forward.

LarrylLix said:
What I am hearing from interested readers is that all devices and hubs will require an Apple chip for security to make them work.

This may turn out to be the most expensive HA system on the market toda..... well maybe in a few years.

The chip provides encryption on the data transmitted back and forth to iOS.  As far as cost, I think the least expensive device is an addressable smart plug at $25 USD:

http://blog.incipio.com/home/incipio-announces-home-automation-solutions-compatible-with-apple-homekit-at-2015-international-ces.html

The WWDC session I referred to above talked repeatedly about security and privacy.  Homekit data is encrypted when being transmitted (both locally and when going over the internet) AND when stored on your iOS device.  Not even Apple can bypass the encryption.  Personally, I feel that companies like Google and Amazon know far too many personal details as things stand now.  I don't want them monitoring my bowel movements by knowing when the bathroom fan is running and peeking at my air quality sensor!

You can also just use all Insteon products via the bridge, if that reduces the cost.

Craig

LarrylLix said:

The prices for homekit devices are in line with most consumer HA gadgets, Lutron Caseta bridge with homekit  is the same price as for the one without ($120 on Amazon). It is not the cost of the chip but the cost of developing the firmware. Once it is figured out by the manufacture of the device, the marginal cost of production will be miniscule.

First,  I am not an iFreak, and second, I am not going to toss my ISY994i for a cloud based system with all it's dependence on Apple's mercy.

If I had an AppleTV, an Insteon Hub (it was sent back) or whatever else needs replacing, it wouldn't happen. Apple needs to support what is already out there, or leak jailbreaks again.

Ohhhh there will be a few diehard Apple supporters out there that will jump into a closed and sealed architecture because it has a piece of fruit on it but most HA people want the control and non-dependence of a non-cloud system. They did start with the most secure communication and most reliable protocol, (short of hardwired)  IMHO.

I guess we will wait and see if after a few years Apple has more than a few end devices supported.

pvrfan said:
 Personally, I feel that companies like Google and Amazon know far too many personal details as things stand now. 
It's unbelievable how the Apple faithful never include Apple in these statements. Especially since it was proven they were doing this since the first iPhone.
I guess it's just ok if Apple has too many personal details.

LarrylLix said:
First,  I am not an iFreak, and second, I am not going to toss my ISY994i for a cloud based system with all it's dependence on Apple's mercy.

If I had an AppleTV, an Insteon Hub (it was sent back) or whatever else needs replacing, it wouldn't happen. Apple needs to support what is already out there, or leak jailbreaks again.

Ohhhh there will be a few diehard Apple supporters out there that will jump into a closed and sealed architecture because it has a piece of fruit on it but most HA people want the control and non-dependence of a non-cloud system. They did start with the most secure communication and most reliable protocol, (short of hardwired)  IMHO.

I guess we will wait and see if after a few years Apple has more than a few end devices supported.

Just to clarify--Homekit is not cloud-based.  You do not need an internet connection for Homekit to work.  The software runs on your iOS device (iPhone or iPad, donno about late-generation iPod Touch) and communicates with the accessory devices via wifi or Bluetooth LE.

An internet connection is needed if you want to use Siri for voice control.  

If you want to control your accessories from outside your own LAN, Apple provides what amounts to a dynamic DNS service to facilitate the connection into your home.  I believe you can achieve the same with a VPN link.

Homekit supports current "HA people" via bridges.  Right now, there is an Insteon bridge and a bridge for Lutron's Caseta line:
http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2243-222-hub-pro.html
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Company-Info/Pages/News/Media-PressCenter/PressReleases/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?prid=679

We'll have to see if other bridges show up (Z-Wave, Zigbee, Radio RA, ...).  The existing maze of incompatible standards is part of the reason why existing home automation is such a tiny niche.

Nonetheless, I think Homekit is about bringing in "non-HA people".  Hundreds of millions of people have an iPhone running iOS 8 and therefore have the software (Homekit framework) ready to go.  If a Homekit-controllable outlet really only costs $25, I think quite a few people may give it a go.  Even just to control the Christmas lights once a year.  Or for a laugh--telling Siri to turn stuff on and off is pretty neat.  That's the gateway drug.  If it is simple and reliable, maybe they'll add more.

I agree that we're going to have to wait and see.  It will be interesting to see what Google/Nest announces today.  AFACIT, Thread, Weave and Brillo are still many months away.

Craig

Frunple said:
It's unbelievable how the Apple faithful never include Apple in these statements. Especially since it was proven they were doing this since the first iPhone.
I guess it's just ok if Apple has too many personal details.
Obviously you've made up your mind but others may wish to consider.  Apple's business model is about selling consumers expensive hardware gadgets.  Google's business model is about selling consumer information (your personal information) to advertisers.  

Seems clear to me who has more incentive to collect and exploit my personal information.  Good summary article at:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/18/6409915/apples-privacy-statement-is-a-direct-shot-at-google-and-i-love-it

Craig

PS, has Googel/Nest committed to encrypt Nest/Thread/Weave/Brillo data and communications?

Homekit supports current "HA people" via bridges. Right now, there is an Insteon bridge and a bridge for Lutron's Caseta line:

http://www.smarthome...22-hub-pro.html

http://www.lutron.co...l.aspx?prid=679

Sorry. These devices have no HA = home automation unless you call the simple timer function "automation".  The Insteon Hub has very basic minimum features to make it "automatic" as it has no logic. I like my lights to go on when I enter a room at the level appropriate for the time of day and if it isn't somebody in my family I want an email and a text message telling me that. I want my bell to ring when the clothes dryer is done if nobody takes the clothes out within 10 minutes of the dryer shutting off.

This isn't going to happen without Apple's cloud service unless you are going to leave another iPhone at home for a real HA controller. An Apple TV is required to make this work. This will need to have the Insteon key/lock chip also. Does yours have that yet?

Even the iPhone app uses "the cloud" to make simple manual controls work when away from your LAN.

LarrylLix said:
Homekit supports current "HA people" via bridges. Right now, there is an Insteon bridge and a bridge for Lutron's Caseta line:

http://www.smarthome...22-hub-pro.html

http://www.lutron.co...l.aspx?prid=679

Sorry. These devices have no HA = home automation unless you call the simple timer function "automation".  The Insteon Hub has very basic minimum features to make it "automatic" as it has no logic. I like my lights to go on when I enter a room at the level appropriate for the time of day and if it isn't somebody in my family I want an email and a text message telling me that. I want my bell to ring when the clothes dryer is done if nobody takes the clothes out within 10 minutes of the dryer shutting off.
Those devices are bridges for Homekit.  The rules and logic is in iOS and the commands are relayed through the bridge.  Homekit in iOS 9 includes "custom triggers" that have exactly the sort of condition-response scenarios you're describing.

This isn't going to happen without Apple's cloud service unless you are going to leave another iPhone at home for a real HA controller. An Apple TV is required to make this work. This will need to have the Insteon key/lock chip also. Does yours have that yet?
It is not clear to me how Homekit will work when your iOS device is not connected to the local network.  Do you have a source saying Homekit will stop working?  Link?

At the moment, Apple's support document only says:

If you have an Apple TV (3rd generation or later) with software version 7.0 or later, you can control your HomeKit-enabled accessories when you're away from home using your iOS device.
Sign into iCloud with the same Apple ID on your iOS device and Apple TV, and you'll be able to use Siri commands to remotely control your accessories. 
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204893

However, in the detailed Homekit update they specifically said that an Apple TV will NOT be required for you to control your accessories while away.  Certain accessories have wifi and enough processing power that they can communicate directly over the internet, like the Ecobee3.  For other devices that only communicate via Bluetooh, like a door lock, I don't see how this is possible and it wasn't explained.  Note that the Apple TV DOES have Bluetooth so I suppose that is how Apple TV acts as a relay between the remote iOS device and the local accessory.

OTOH, the Apple TV is, itself, an iOS device.  It _may_ be that your Homekit rules are replicated to the device and that it takes control over monitoring and responding to events.  This makes a lot of sense to me but Apple hasn't said anything.  Perhaps this will only be possible with an upgraded Apple TV.  Certainly a refresh was expected but appears to have been delayed due while they hash out content licensing deals for video.

Even the iPhone app uses "the cloud" to make simple manual controls work when away from your LAN.
As I understand your objection, you don't want to depend on Apple's cloud infrastructure ("iCloud").  As I explained, I believe you can achieve simple manual control via VPN connection.  No iCloud requirement.  Although it will be far more convenient for most people to connect through iCloud.

Craig

Back