Monitoring utility power?

JimS

Having some recuring issues with Home Assistant loosing the Z wave module - last time I couldn't just restart the module and had to reboot the machine to get it all working. It was suggested I should put the PC on a UPS but I don't think power line drops are the issue - everything else on the box was running fine. Still it would be good to know what the power line is doing. I have a Kill-A-Watt and heard good things about Emporia Vue but I don't think either can log power line drops. It's a linux box running Ubuntu so I could look at the boot time to see when the current session started. HA runs in virtual box. Thought I was avoiding such issues by upgrading from X10... If the power line drop is long enough my appliances clocks are flashing and have to be reset but I would like to have more information on when and how long.

I use Hubitat instead of Home Assistant, but here's what I plan on doing...

The Zooz ZAC38 z-wave extender (on sale for about $20 today) has an attribute that tells the current power source (mains power or battery power). As long as my Hubitat is still functioning (it is on a UPS), it can detect that the ZAC38 switched to battery power (i.e., power loss) and switched to main (i.e., power restored).

Much easier to just monitor the uptime of an IP device on your network, although I do recommend a UPS to protect such a complex system (plus you can use the USB interface to monitor power lines via Home Assistant).

I have the Emporia Vue, had to modify it so I could load ESPHome. It's not showing all circuits, but hoping it's just a tuning issue on my side. Just keep in mind it may use a significant amount of space in your breaker box, and not sure if the latest models can still be 'hacked'.

As for your Z-Wave issue, it was common when the 700 series chipset first launched, but there is a firmware update which addresses most of it. What USB stick do you have? (may have to split this into its own topic)

I use a relay with a 120v coil. The relay is plugged in to a non-UPS receptacle. The NC of the relay is connected to an ELK non-alarm zone. The software I use sends me a message when the zone opens (power out) and closes (power restored).

You could do something similar by writing M1 rules that trigger on AC power fail and AC power restore and have the rules send you an e-mail notification.

You could do something similar by writing M1 rules that trigger on AC power fail and AC power restore and have the rules send you an e-mail notification.
Except I've noticed the M1 doesn't seem to respond to short power drops. I flipped the power on/off for about a second and got my notify on zone 1, but no power fail message from the M1.

Back