Monitoring DC current

politics123

Hey --

I'm installing solar PV, and apparently one of the challenges is determining if your panels are all performing correctly. There are warranties that cover replacement, but detecting a problem appears to be near impossible or very costly. I've found a few "power-plant grade" solutions, but these are $2000+.

Seems like a current transformer and a multimeter might be good. Do you need special CTs to measure DC current, or will any CR Magnetics CT work? How would one monitor (as in KWh used) DC current? I'd like something that outputs current in porportion to the DC power.

Solar Basics:
Panels are wired together in series (called "strings") and then multiple strings are wired in parallel to an inverter. So, say you have 20 panels using 4 strings of 5 panels each. I'd like to put a CT around each string and compare the power produced. If there are wide variations in the power per string, I might conclude I have a bad panel.

The inverters provide actual input (volts + watts) for the entire system, but that's not enough resolution to indicate one panel in one string having a problem!

I aree with the micro inverter approach but isn't there a monthly fee to be able to get to the data logger information?

Back