M1ZTSR Calibration?

Quixote_1

I ordered and installed an Elk-M1ZTSR (zone temperature sensor) to monitor an aquarium because I read somewhere that it was supposed to have an accuracy of one degree.
I'm getting a reading that is three degrees (Celcius) higher than when I use a calibrated thermocouple. I think that one degree difference could be acceptable, but I really find it hard to believe that anyone would be happy with those results if they had the sensor set up outside and were led to believe that it was 28 degrees C when in fact it was 31. That is a very significant difference. (5.4 degrees F)

Is there a way to calibrate the sensor?
Thanks!

oops... found my own answer here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pFOd8S816egJ:m1dealer.elkproducts.com/index.php%3Fmodule%3Dphpwsbb%26PHPWSBB_MAN_OP%3Dview%26PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS%255B%255D%3D124+Elk-M1ZTSR+%2Baccuracy&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=opera&source=www.google.ca

Sorry about that. It's just that coming to this forum is always my first impulse because There are always people that know there stuff here.
If anyone else is having that problem and finds this thread, bradweeks posted in that thread:

"Remove the plastic cover to expose the printed circuit board. Located on the printed circuit are three solder pads labeled "+", "T", and "-". A momentary short across the "T" and either "+" or "-" will raise or lower the temperature reading by one degree. In your case your M1ZTSR is reading 7 degrees low so momentary short across the "T" and "+" seven times to adjust the reading 7 degrees higher."

Ciao.

Is there a way to calibrate the sensor?
My M1ZTS has the second problem mentioned in the subject thread -- incorrect slope. The measurement is high by (for example) 5F at around 35F and is more or less correct at 80F. I fix the problem in software. This and the price are two reasons I never bought another ZTS. And never will.

I'm having similar problems. It seems that there are major discrepancies between the readings I am getting from the M1ZTS and other devices I own. I can't conclusively claim that the sensor is faulty yet, but I would have expected more consistency from an $80 temperature sensor, especially when the hardware for such a device costs only a few dollars. After calibrating it to match a (Omega) thermocouple that I know to be accurate while the probes are in the air at room temperature (matching two other room temperature sensors - one by National Geographic and one by Bionaire), then switching the M1ZTS and the thermocouple to measure the temperature of the water in an aquarium at the same point in the tank, I am finding a difference of 2 degrees Celsius, even after waiting several minutes.

More testing is required I guess.

Back