M1G interfacing with Lutron RadioRA/RA II peripherals

Hansueli

Dear Elk Users

Is there anybody who's using RadioRA peripherals with the Elk system?

I would like to hear how satisfied you are?

What interface are you using?

Do you think there is a better choice of a companion system out there than Lutron's RadioRA?

I appreciate your input greatly.

Kind regards,
Hans

OK,
Since no one is biting on the RA, I can tell you I have been using jetstream for about 10 months now I guess. I set it up, and it just works. No headaches, no problems. There are several threads on button pressure / design, but I haven't missed presses anymore than I missed on a regular light switch and have had no failures. No complaints from the Mrs., and when I find something I set up and don't have to chase, I'm a happy camper. I don't recall a scene not executing from a button press. On occasion it seems the Elk gets a tad flakey thinking it's dark out and turning lights on in broad daylight and a couple of other "features" lol, but those kind of problems and timing issues would exist regardless of the lighting system you choose. Having read all the problems of UPB signal sucks, insteon switches giving up etc., I'm happy with my jetstream. I think it is an often overlooked option. The programming is simple and straight forward. It was very easy to get up and running, and intigrated with the ELK. I looked at lutron, but the price sent me running. I will be adding more switches to my current setup in the not too distant future.

I've had a radioRA system hooked up to my elk for about 3 years now.. It's been rock solid since day 1, never missed a command. The switches have a very nice solid feel to them and they've put up with a lot of abuse, and most of them are all used (bought secondhand off ebay). As for the interface the only one that i'm aware that works with the elk is the radioRA rs-232 interface, which you set a few jumpers in a M1XSP, and set up your lights as zones or phantom buttons in the RS-232 and you're good to go. I know a lot of people have commented on the price of radioRA as being a sticking point, but i waited it out on ebay and searched for deals and got most of my switches for $20 or less.. now that radioRA2 is out, it's driving down the prices on the pieces even further, i even picked up a 2 spare repeaters for $10 each. It's been as rock solid as a hardwired system without any of the prewiring.. if your boxes have LNG, you're good, some switches don't even need the neutral. Like all system's (other than hardwired) RA can't be said to be 100% failsafe, but the frequency it operates on has never had any interference with me ( a lot of people complain UPB doesn't work for them due to 'dirty' power lines) but most people who have had complaints have solved it with the addition of an extra repeater to cover the area.. the only other caveat with RA and RA2 is the system size, limited to 32 switches IIRC without a chronos bridge and 64 with a bridge. It's never been a problem for me, i'm maxed out with all the ones i want to control at 28 switches.

As for a better system, i hear RadioRA2 is even more rock solid than RA1 with more 'built in' features, but the elk handles all the extra things i need the lights to do.. the new RA2 system has the serial interface built in to the main repeater so less pieces to buy, but the pieces are more expensive right now. There was someone on cocoontech who was a retailer for RA2 i believe so you can speak with him if that's the direction you want to go in. Also i don't know if elk supports RA2 yet, but it probably will soon as HAI does.. in the end, pick a system the elk supports natively through a M1XSP, it'll make integration a lot easier.

OK,
Since no one is biting on the RA, I can tell you I have been using jetstream for about 10 months now I guess. I set it up, and it just works. No headaches, no problems. There are several threads on button pressure / design, but I haven't missed presses anymore than I missed on a regular light switch and have had no failures. No complaints from the Mrs., and when I find something I set up and don't have to chase, I'm a happy camper. I don't recall a scene not executing from a button press. On occasion it seems the Elk gets a tad flakey thinking it's dark out and turning lights on in broad daylight and a couple of other "features" lol, but those kind of problems and timing issues would exist regardless of the lighting system you choose. Having read all the problems of UPB signal sucks, insteon switches giving up etc., I'm happy with my jetstream. I think it is an often overlooked option. The programming is simple and straight forward. It was very easy to get up and running, and intigrated with the ELK. I looked at lutron, but the price sent me running. I will be adding more switches to my current setup in the not too distant future.

Hi BLMXM
Many thanks for your response. I must say, I didn't know about Jetstream's products. I have to look into it to build a better opinion. Do you know, does Jetstream offer controlled power receptacles? I would like to control accessory like the roof heating cables or the xmas lights and security flood lights.

I've had a radioRA system hooked up to my elk for about 3 years now.. It's been rock solid since day 1, never missed a command. The switches have a very nice solid feel to them and they've put up with a lot of abuse, and most of them are all used (bought secondhand off ebay). As for the interface the only one that i'm aware that works with the elk is the radioRA rs-232 interface, which you set a few jumpers in a M1XSP, and set up your lights as zones or phantom buttons in the RS-232 and you're good to go. I know a lot of people have commented on the price of radioRA as being a sticking point, but i waited it out on ebay and searched for deals and got most of my switches for $20 or less.. now that radioRA2 is out, it's driving down the prices on the pieces even further, i even picked up a 2 spare repeaters for $10 each. It's been as rock solid as a hardwired system without any of the prewiring.. if your boxes have LNG, you're good, some switches don't even need the neutral. Like all system's (other than hardwired) RA can't be said to be 100% failsafe, but the frequency it operates on has never had any interference with me ( a lot of people complain UPB doesn't work for them due to 'dirty' power lines) but most people who have had complaints have solved it with the addition of an extra repeater to cover the area.. the only other caveat with RA and RA2 is the system size, limited to 32 switches IIRC without a chronos bridge and 64 with a bridge. It's never been a problem for me, i'm maxed out with all the ones i want to control at 28 switches.

As for a better system, i hear RadioRA2 is even more rock solid than RA1 with more 'built in' features, but the elk handles all the extra things i need the lights to do.. the new RA2 system has the serial interface built in to the main repeater so less pieces to buy, but the pieces are more expensive right now. There was someone on cocoontech who was a retailer for RA2 i believe so you can speak with him if that's the direction you want to go in. Also i don't know if elk supports RA2 yet, but it probably will soon as HAI does.. in the end, pick a system the elk supports natively through a M1XSP, it'll make integration a lot easier.

Hi "Forgets"
Thanks for your great response. I would say your experience seems to match some other comments I have read. All in all quite positive yet, a little on the expensive side. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any words yet about interfacing Elk with radioRA2. Perhaps there might be somebody reading this that has some experiance along radioRA2 with Elk.

If you don't mind, may I ask a couple more questions?

- Have you ever seen a radioRA controlled power receptacle which would allow my to power-control certain AC peripherals, like xmas lights, roof heating wires or security flood lights?
- What dealer do you think offers the best radioRA/2 prices?

I appreciate your input. Best regards,
Hans

OK,

Hi BLMXM
Many thanks for your response. I must say, I didn't know about Jetstream's products. I have to look into it to build a better opinion. Do you know, does Jetstream offer controlled power receptacles? I would like to control accessory like the roof heating cables or the xmas lights and security flood lights.

I belive this is what you are looking for.
http://www.centralite.com/products/JetStream/Lampmodule.asp
Since the lamp modules handle only 300w, I have considered using a regular jetstream switch mounted in a quad box with a duplex plug for higher draws. If it will be rule operated, then once programmed there is no need to have access to the switch again unless you need to default it.

As for interfacing an elk m1 with RA2, i'd say ask user "Spanky" he works for elk, and should be able to answer any questions to when and if they'll support RA2..

As for controlling those types of loads, i use the RA-8ANS-WH switch, basically it's a non dimmable switch, so i use it to control fans and x-mas lights, outside floods, etc.. basically any load that doesn't like being in a state other than on or off, the description for it says "This switch can be used with multiple lighting types including: Incandescent, fluorescent, magnetic low-voltage, electronic low-voltage and high intensity discharge" i don't remember where, but i think they were rated up to 1000w.. but you should probably check the manual for them rather than taking my word.

As for a RA2 dealer, i don't know any, i know there were some on cocoontech.. search some posts for radiora2 and i'm sure they'll pop up.. wish i could be more help there, but l own an original RadioRA system, not RA2

OK,

Hi BLMXM

I belive this is what you are looking for.
http://www.centralite.com/products/JetStream/Lampmodule.asp
Since the lamp modules handle only 300w, I have considered using a regular jetstream switch mounted in a quad box with a duplex plug for higher draws. If it will be rule operated, then once programmed there is no need to have access to the switch again unless you need to default it.

Thanks BLMXM

I am going to look at the controlled power outlet you suggested. I think it is along the thoughts that I had in mind.

As for interfacing an elk m1 with RA2, i'd say ask user "Spanky" he works for elk, and should be able to answer any questions to when and if they'll support RA2..

As for controlling those types of loads, i use the RA-8ANS-WH switch, basically it's a non dimmable switch, so i use it to control fans and x-mas lights, outside floods, etc.. basically any load that doesn't like being in a state other than on or off, the description for it says "This switch can be used with multiple lighting types including: Incandescent, fluorescent, magnetic low-voltage, electronic low-voltage and high intensity discharge" i don't remember where, but i think they were rated up to 1000w.. but you should probably check the manual for them rather than taking my word.

As for a RA2 dealer, i don't know any, i know there were some on cocoontech.. search some posts for radiora2 and i'm sure they'll pop up.. wish i could be more help there, but l own an original RadioRA system, not RA2

Hello "Forgets"
Thanks again for your response. I truly believe that this would work. Of course, I would have to watch the max 8 A load carefully. What is more a concern is the price of about $150. May I ask you, would it be smarter to use the ELK-M1RB board instead? This board costs about $60 and can handle up to about 8 AC-consumers. Of course, this module doesn't offer a manual switch feature....

What do you think?

Kind regards,
Hans

Back