M1 Firmware Upgrade issue

Sandpiper

I attempted to upgrade firmware in an M1 yesterday using RP2 version 2.0.8. The upgrade window shows the current firmware version for the keypads and zone expanders but not for the control. It is blank there. There was nothing to click on to initiate an upgrade. The M1 has boot version 3.2.2 and firmware version 4.4.12 installed now and I was attempting to upgrade to 3.3.6 and 4.6.2. Why would the window show firmware versions for the keypads and expanders, but not for the control?

I just looked at my own and about 5 different client panels and a bench panel onsite here and when I went in via Send>RCV-update/enroll, the first item listed was always the panel with hardware, boot and firmware versions. Same information was shown on the account details DB page.

Did you attempt to update the bootware first? If the bootware is not compatible, I remember it not showing any option to upgrade/update.

Are you direct connected via a serial port or XEP?

Are you presently running your panel with a GE/Caddx (not Elk) wireless receiver?

I just looked at my own and about 5 different client panels and a bench panel onsite here and when I went in via Send>RCV-update/enroll, the first item listed was always the panel with hardware, boot and firmware versions. Same information was shown on the account details DB page.

Did you attempt to update the bootware first? If the bootware is not compatible, I remember it not showing any option to upgrade/update.

Are you direct connected via a serial port or XEP?

Are you presently running your panel with a GE/Caddx (not Elk) wireless receiver?
Well, I would attempt the bootware if this was availavble, but I couldn't get that far. There was NOTHING there. Connected direct via USB/ serial port which I have done many times before with no problems. And there is no wireless receiver, GE/Caddx or Honeywell.

Did the account come from an older version of RP? Older accounts, if I remember right-been a while since I had to update RP vs. RP2, had to be updated/upgraded in RP2 first.

Does the DB summary screen in RP have the bootware and firmware versions on it?

Do you already have the bootware and firmware installed in the correct folders in RP2? Do you have firmware patch installed for RP2?

How about if you make a bootstrap account and upload all the data from the panel into it and then take a look at it then? As long as you have the program code and RP code, it's the same as having an existing account saved, and actually recommended by Elk. You won't lose any information.

You really should be updating it to something like 5.2.4 and 3.3.6 unless you have something 3rd party that needs firmware that old.

I attempted to upgrade firmware in an M1 yesterday using RP2 version 2.0.8. The upgrade window shows the current firmware version for the keypads and zone expanders but not for the control. It is blank there. There was nothing to click on to initiate an upgrade. The M1 has boot version 3.2.2 and firmware version 4.4.12 installed now and I was attempting to upgrade to 3.3.6 and 4.6.2. Why would the window show firmware versions for the keypads and expanders, but not for the control?
Which screen are you viewing, the Enroll/Update Control and Devices or the Update Bootware/Firmware? If the latter, you may be experiencing a problem I had. It took a call to Elk to figure out the problem. Somehow during download of the new update files I had gotten a bad or incomplete .bin file in my update folder. Look in the folder - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\RP\Update - See if you have a .bin file with "0" bytes. If so, delete this file and retry your update. Advise if this helped.

Update:

I still haven't been able to view the CONTROL version in the Enroll/Update window. I have done several things to try to pinpoint the problem, but have only eliminated potential causes. The one piece of information that may be of help is this:

The problem only appears on my laptop. My desktop PC does not have the problem.

The problem occurs on my laptop whether I connect via M1EXP or direct (USB/serial). I have uninstalled and reinstalled RP2, installed the 2.0.8 patch, re-downloaded all bin files and checked for proper location and file size. I created a new account and uploaded all information to the account, but this did not fix it. I also tried re-enrolling bus modules, but this didn't help either. I cannot find any differences in the setup between my desktop and laptop RP setup.

I have a feeling this is something in RP that is causing this, but I can't find it. I will keep looking though.

Possibly a sharing/user conflict with your laptop?

Given the known information that you an use another PC to view and modify the information, I'd start looking at what user/admin priveleges and rights. I know my own PC's and laptops have Admin only, because some of the software that runs on them (Onyxworks SA config tool) have strange things happen to them and a user account with admin priveliges is NOT the same as a true Admin.

Maybe some software/drivers you have are causing some conflicts?

At this case, you've narrowed it down most likely your OS and possibly any software you have installed on the laptop, otherwise I think it's time for a call to Elk to help narrow the issue down further.

I worked on this some more today and finally found the problem........I'm going to be brash and say that it was because of the contrast of the LCD screen on my laptop, but maybe a little of my own fault. When first viewing the upgrade screen, the M1 control is already highlighted, where the other items such a keypads, are not highlighted. The highlighting made it so I couldn't see it...it looked like a blue bar. But after a closer look I could barely see the black letters on the dark blue highlighting.

The desktop shows black lettering on a light gray highlighting...so I could easily see the M1 control was highlighted. I wonder why there is such a difference between the laptop and the desktop monitors?

Just thought I'd update the thread about this.

I worked on this some more today and finally found the problem........I'm going to be brash and say that it was because of the contrast of the LCD screen on my laptop, but maybe a little of my own fault. When first viewing the upgrade screen, the M1 control is already highlighted, where the other items such a keypads, are not highlighted. The highlighting made it so I couldn't see it...it looked like a blue bar. But after a closer look I could barely see the black letters on the dark blue highlighting.

The desktop shows black lettering on a light gray highlighting...so I could easily see the M1 control was highlighted. I wonder why there is such a difference between the laptop and the desktop monitors?

Just thought I'd update the thread about this.

You're not the only one... We have a certain DVR manufacturer that uses a very close contrast profile for thier "windows" fonts and selection windows. After this bit me once, the first thing I do is change the appearance setting under the display properties any time a new unit is installed. It happens to the best of us. If you get bit again, then shame on you ;)

Back