Lowe's Membership Workshop

apostolakisl

I was just at a Lowe's in Round Rock, Texas today and noticed a door to a section I had never seen before. I went in there and it turns out Lowe's has put in something like 10,000 sf of shop space loaded with equipment. Machine Shop, Metal Shop, Wood Shop, Electronics Shop, CAD design shop, Printing, and I don't know what else. They sell memberships for like $1,300/year. They must have a couple million dollars worth of stuff in there. Just peaking in I saw CNC equipment, lathes, mills, electronic stuff (oscilloscopes et al), welding stuff, laser cutters, routers, table saws, radial arms saws, and so forth.

And when I went in I was greeted by an interesting your lady with tats all over and gauged ears who actually sounded like she knew what all this stuff did. Supposedly Lowe's has a few more of these around the country.
'

That's cool. I wonder if this is simple commercialization of the "hackerspaces" that keep getting all the media attention lately. It would make sense...maybe...

I'm actually a TechShop Round Rock member (joined late December) and have been really enjoying the subscription.  They're a company independent of Lowes, but this partnership is really cool.  If I need hardware, I can just walk through the sliding door you mentioned and buy stuff easily.

Hope to see you around TechShop...  I've been using the workspace and tools primarily for my 3D printer build. I'm new to the realm of HA.   Had X10 in my apartment but couldn't get it to work smoothly.  But now that we have bought a house, I'm starting anew with z-wave.

Allistar said:
I'm actually a TechShop Round Rock member (joined late December) and have been really enjoying the subscription.  They're a company independent of Lowes, but this partnership is really cool.  If I need hardware, I can just walk through the sliding door you mentioned and buy stuff easily.

Hope to see you around TechShop...  I've been using the workspace and tools primarily for my 3D printer build. I'm new to the realm of HA.   Had X10 in my apartment but couldn't get it to work smoothly.  But now that we have bought a house, I'm starting anew with z-wave.

Trouble for me is the 30 minute drive up to round rock.  If I had known they had that 6 months ago I would have joined for sure since I had a project that the cnc stuff would have made much easier for me.  Manually controlled lathes and mills work great when you have 30 years of experience and just the right touch, but that is not me.  The damn thing about grinding material off, is if you accidentally remove too much, then its time to start all over.    :eek:

Back