Looking for a specific HOW-TO Elk-M1G install

and see if I can get the wife on board.
:)
I gave up on that, and just told her what I'm planning, for the alarm.

I'll try again after it's installed. ;)

All you have to do is make it look like you're working hard. My wife doesn't question anything I do when I have a belt full of tools. It helps that I usually give her a really long boring complex answer if she does ask, and she loses interest as soon as I start telling her. :)

However, you should always remember that if she does call you out on something that you can always justify the cost of anything by calling it a hobby. What kind of cruel spouse wouldn't want you to have a hobby?

However, you should always remember that if she does call you out on something that you can always justify the cost of anything by calling it a hobby. What kind of cruel spouse wouldn't want you to have a hobby?
Screw that - My wife doesn't give a rat's ass about my hobbies... I have to gain ground by saying I'm doing it for her safety ;-) Make sure she knows you're not scared, but you don't want her or the kid invaded while you're away on business. That'll do it every time. then, hide the cost :-D

I've been calling it a hobby since day 1, when she tried arguing about the stuff I do around the house - she shut right up. She can complain that we don't 'need' a bettery security system, a new DA system, water main shutoff valve, automated curtains/shutters, and networked thermostats - but she can't argue with a hobby. There is no necessity for any of it, I'm doing it for my own enjoyment.

Maybe I need a new topic - but let's say I just want a basic system - no automation, etc, but no contract from ADT, etc. Any recommendations?

DIY Elk M1EZ8, M1, or HAI system.

Or, have a local installer do the system for you, without a monitoring contract. You can find your own monitoring company.

I went with the Caddx NX8E for my system. So far, it seems extremely capable/expandable. The zone types are a bit difficult to figure out. I'll determine in the end if I end up saving any $'s over the M1. My intention was strictly standalone security with an interface to CQC.

Russ...

Back