Let’s talk Z-Wave...

We are kind of stuck on trying to decide whether we can afford to justify popping $3500 for the privilege of supporting Z-Wave, and put in the necessary time to really support it fully, when almost everyone on the pro side is likely to have the lighting going through an Elk or Omni or use a hardwired system like Lutron or Vantage. It's a hard call when so few folks will end up controllng the lighting directly.

UPB is openly documented and free to support, so we'll probably do a UPB driver before too much longer.

Micah said:
I was really hoping to hear from more than just 1 or 2 satisfied z-wave users despite the negative opening post.
I wouldn't count me as completely satisfied, in my opinion I put an enormous effort into getting a reasonable working system.

More effort than I think should ever have been needed, even though I jumped on the z-wave band wagon very early.

StevenE

Z-Wave works quite well for me with my small needs. I just have 6 modules in a small apartment, controlled via CQC.

Like Steve, I adopted early in Z-Wave's life. The main problem that I had was the ACT Homepro USB controller. After I replace that (w/Intermatic), I have had no issues. I control my lights through HS. Also, HAI Omni will support Z-Wave shortly (That is what I heard on the Worthington forum).

- Mike

I haven't had my zwave stuff as long as most but it works great for me. Most of my problems have been operator error because I didn't understand some of the instructions right away. I only have 12 modules hooked up at the moment and 4 events programmed in my remote. I have no HA software yet. My house is 4200 total sft. and the units are all over the house. All my stuff is Intermatic. My only real problem has been the dimming units need a min. load to work properly.

Question for micah/others: I've got 2-3 lights & fans that I really need wireless control over, due to shockingly poor switch location. I still want to go with HomeWorks RF as my target solution, but that's going to be $10K for parts at least, which I cannot afford for several months.

Given that I've got an Elk already about 20' away that I can use for control, it looks to me like I could get away with a few inwall switches for the load control, plus the Elk zWave hardware. I could use CQC to control the Elk and be done with this.

Due to the nature of the particular switches, this doesn't have to be 100% reliable - I can handle pressing a button a few times in order to get the light to come on.

I've read through this thread, and I don't think I see a screaming issue with my config. Am I wrong?

AutomatedOutlet said:
I think that's probably a wise decision...
Martin,

Looking at your other Z-wave posts, who is the big vendor bypassing z-wave and going to Zigbee. Just curious. Is it Logitech, Intel, Microsoft, or Leviton?

Tom

IVB said:
Question for micah/others...
After reading,

The Elk Z-wave module is one of those 'early hardware units with problems' with no resolution yet. I would not recommend going with Z-wave if you plan on using an Elk M1G to control your PLC network.

from jlegault, I'd search a little more into whether or not the Elk Z-Wave module will work as intended. I didn't realize anyone had had trouble with it, but assuming you're looking to add the lighting control to CQC you'll probably want to make sure it will do what you want before purchasing.

Also, I would note, that I have never had issues with auto on/off commands or remote commands not working. The protocol seems to do a very good job at making sure commands are recognized and executed.

However, if all you're going to do is control the Z-Wave switches via a Master Controller, then you should be set. One great feature of the HA07 is that it has built in timer functions to turn lights on and off based on the hour or sunset/sunrise. It's an awesome idea and works well for me to control my front and back outside lights while I figure out how to proceed.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to retract my statement that I am finished with Z-Wave. I didn't realize, until 68string mentioned it, that the units need a minimum load to work and that didn't even dawn on me until I replaced the switch with 2 others I had sitting around that did the same thing. For what it's worth, I had just gotten back from a trip where I buried a cousin of mine and was just pissed that my front light wouldn't turn on. And if you haven't guessed already, my bulb was burned out.

I'm still hoping for a resolution to this and I still think Z-Wave has the best potential of the three new technologies (Z-Wave, Insteon, and UPB) to get the job done and get it done well.

Tombo said:
Looking at your other Z-wave posts, who is the big vendor bypassing z-wave and going to Zigbee. Just curious. Is it Logitech, Intel, Microsoft, or Leviton?

Tom
Although Martin answered your question I can say Microsoft, Leviton, Intel, Logitech are going Zwave.

There are still some gaps in Zwave devices currently which HAI offers. But more nice products are coming out very soon.

Micah said:
I'd also like to take this opportunity to retract my statement that I am finished with Z-Wave. I didn't realize, until 68string mentioned it, that the units need a minimum load to work and that didn't even dawn on me until I replaced the switch with 2 others I had sitting around that did the same thing.
Just for the casual reader...

Z-Wave dimmer switches like the Intermatic HA06C are two wire and do require a minimum load of 40 watts to operate. Switches like the HomePro ZDW100 (I've got some old switches) require a neutral (3 wire) connection but will work with no minimum load.

I have a total of 19 Z-Wave switching/dimming devices installed now and have six, battery operated, remote controllers. I like the idea that all Z-Wave power line switches are RF receivers. You never have to worry about being close to an antenna with your remotes. Also, some of the battery remotes are able to store timed events, no PC required.

I have not had any hardware issues, keeping fingers crossed on that.

Ken

tech-home said:
There are still some gaps in Zwave devices currently which HAI offers. But more nice products are coming out very soon.
I have heard this for so long, will they come before our sun explodes and destorys our solar system ?

StevenE

StevenE,

The Wayne-Dalton products are now shipping. The Z-Wave PC SDK is now shipping. Leviton has started shipping their VIZIA RF plug-in modules, and the switches should start hitting shelves in a matter of weeks. The Sirius Conductor just hit Circuit City shelves, and should be in wide distribution very soon.

Cooper's switches are very close. You should see Monster's products on the shelves very soon too. And we've started playing with the first Z-Wave window shade controls too...

And of course, there are at quite a few exciting new Z-Wave products being introduced at EHX, and more coming at CES. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the new announcements and by products which are actually starting to ship!

Chris

Back