ISY99 and Elk M1

mikei-ma

I'm trying to figure out a way to read the thermostat state, temp, etc. from the Elk M1 through the ISY99 (with Elk Module installed.) Does anyone know a workaround so I can either read or set variables so I can use them in ISY programs? It appears from my research the only way to do this is to run a script on another computer that reads what I need and then set them in the ISY - am I on track?

Nope. No way to do it currently. You can get/set values but you can't store them in variables.

So just to be clear you are saying there is no external interface in the ISY that allows you to assign a variable? Whether it be java, rest, ajax, etc..? Is there a workaround somewhere?

Examples:
1) Using a 'virtual' output in an array format output 100-109 and 110-119 can be use to trigger a binary on off where the 107 and 118 might tell isy that the temp is 78 (can you address outputs that are not connected to the m1?)

2) Using scenes in elk to address the temp in the same array scene 78 on means it's 78 degrees

etc... come on.. were'e creative folks.. there's no workaround???

Yes, there are a few external interfaces in the ISY (WSDK, REST) but you are going to need a third party device to access them. You aren't going to be able to do it directly via ELK rules.

Maybe request UD add the feature, they seem to be actively developing right now, so maybe they'll add it sooner than later....

If you want to write a bunch of complex rules for every possible temp I guess it would be possible, I would say do it on the ISY vs. the Elk. You could write a rule for every temp value then set the variable....

wuench is techically incorrect when saying it is not possible, but in principle he is correct. If you really really want it, you can do it via a whole bunch of programs, but it isn't a very good solution.

Basically, ISY is able to read temp values from all of the keypads and act directly on those. This is where you should focus your efforts. I sincerely doubt that the temps at various keypads around your house are going to be more than 1 degree different from the temp at the thermostat. And if they are, I would speculate that you have a very drafty home which would render this sort of fine control to be somewhat worthless.

That works if you use keypads that have temperature; KP2, KPAS and Navigator don't - and I don't think KP3 does either. Also doesn't tell you if your tstat is set to heat or cool.

That works if you use keypads that have temperature; KP2, KPAS and Navigator don't - and I don't think KP3 does either. Also doesn't tell you if your tstat is set to heat or cool.

Sorry, my bad for assuming that he would have at least some of the standard kp keypads.

Back