Is OnQ going wireless for lighting?

Is there such thing as ALC relay (non-dimmer) switches? If so, could you put them inline somewhere, allowing you to control these outlets?

There are, but that is still a "work around" IMHO. The true need is for a ALC outlet. In my specific case, it is a retro job, so it is nearly impossible. But even in new construction, why would you want to have to find a place to put more switches. One of the main purposes in lighting control is to reduce wall clutter, not increase it.
That may be true in an ideal world but there are several manufacturers that don't make outlets, or even 'real' inline modules for that matter. So while a jbox designed relay may not be perfect, it is usually alot better than waiting perhaps years for the product to be designed for your favorite tech. As an example, while SAI makes a UPB outlet, I was not too impressed with it, plus the UPB control is only over 1 of the duplex outlets, plus in some locations you need GFCI so I have several outlets outside that are tapped off indoor outlets in rooms/locations that aren't used or behind things. I simply replaced the indoor outlet with an inline module and used a standard GFCI outlet on the outside. This works great in 2 locations. In another I put a double gang box with 1 regular GFCI and the inline module next to it.

Also, there is nothing wrong with running a hybrid system. I am leaning more and more to doing lighting control with one technology and then other stuff requiring specialty modules, etc with another tech like UPB. And most controllers let you support multiple techs so you Elk or Omni or whatever can easily talk to ALC and something else that has the specialty components you may really want.

If you need wanted to turn an ALC module 'inline' you woudl just put in in a homedepot handy box and wire up some cords to it? I guess it can works..

Alternatively i like the idea of making the oulet a 2 gangbox and just putting the relay switch right next to it. This would be like in the UK where there is an switch attached to each oulet. I'm sure according to NEC switches need to be at a certain height though so I don't know how to get around this.

I'm encouraged to hear that ALC is not being dumped since I have 15 switches inhouse now. But an inline module and outlet module are badly needed, particularly the outlet module. I can't see it being that hard to create, yes.it needs UL listing, but it's not a technical feat like a dimmer that does CFL's or whatever.

I met with an OnQ Vice President two weeks ago on this very topic. He traveled from PA to SC to share the future of ALC.

Hey Tony...if you get the chance to talk to him again, could you let him know that the technical support for ALC from the perspective of a typical user *sucks*. I've been trying since April to get some help on a protocol issue, and I keep getting "I'll have the engineers call you" or just empty silence since then. Very frustrating and annoying. Either their technical support is non-existent, or they just don't care about the small DIY user. Both of those I find unacceptable.

Back