Insteon Appliance Linc with PLM 2413S

nmcbride

Hi everyone,

I'm still just getting going with my M1 and now starting to add Insteon devices. I have the M1XSP enrolled and the appropriate firmware (it seems anyways) installed. When I turn light # 256 ON using my M1 keypad my PLM module begins flashing. However when I attempt to connect the appliancelinc module to it it doesn't seem to take. Any tips? I've set the first 10 lights in RP2 to SerialExpander and On/Off. I am following the instructions in the M1XSP manual but I don't seem to able to get this appliancelinc to connect.

In my experience (have aninsteon system with about 20 devices in my house, 15 in my parents, both direct to PLM like yours) it is either:
- Bad signal (most likely)
- Faulty module (rare but happens)

I dont quite know why, but I have found it is much harder signal wise to get a module to link than it is to control it later. Put it stupidly close to the PLM, link it, then return it to its normal position and try it.

I did, however, once out of the above 35 modules i said i've set up, have a switch that would not link properly, period. Sometimes it would kindof get a link but wouldnt really finish the process. It would lock up in the linking process and fail to respond to anything without unplugging it after that, etc. Insteon quickly replaced it with another that worked flawlessly in the same place in the home.

Hi, thanks for the response. Has anyone ever heard of the PLM themselves being bad? I'm able to linc my ApplianceLinc to an I/OLinc I have, just not to the PLM?

Hi, thanks for the response. Has anyone ever heard of the PLM themselves being bad? I'm able to linc my ApplianceLinc to an I/OLinc I have, just not to the PLM?
Like any device, there can be some that don't work. If you have tried the earlier suggestion to "put it stupidly close to the PLM" and still see failures, a bad PLM is something you should consider. Also, make sure you don't have the plm plugged into, or near, surge suppressors, UPS.

Just an update on this. The PLM's RF is definitely working as I can send "ON" commands to an Insteon thermostat, the powerline signals are also working as I can turn one of the new Insteon LED bulbs, ON, OFF and even DIM using the mykeypad app through my M1. However I still cannot get the appliance module to 'linc', EVEN THOUGH I can link it my I/O Linc unit and it operates perfectly. Any ideas?

Is the ApplianceLinc a fairly new one?
Starting in March 2012 modules where being moved to their new I2CS protocol { Extended Insteon Messaging with a Check Sum} and acted differently.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. It might be that the M1XSP doesn't support the newer protocol.... I don't think that would be a PLM firmware since those of us using ISY haven't had to swap out PLMs or anything, it was the ISY code needing to be updated... I didn't even realize you could use a PLM w/ the Elk M1XSP, I thought it was only PLC which definitely wouldn't support the new protocol (in that case the intelligence is in the PLC and that would need to be updated, but SH stopped supporting it)...

You probably should reach out to Elk on that one...

Honestly, if I were you, I would sell the M1XSP and use that money towards an ISY...

One of the most important links in the universe (for insteon users :))

http://www.madreporite.com/insteon/Insteon_device_list.htm

Back