Imaginative uses for DS10A sensors

TonyNo said:
Cool, BSR!

Hmm. I can see thumbnails, but I get an error when I click on them.
Yea, my fault, tried the quick and easy way.

I linked the full sized images with the thumbnails at the end of my post above.

Great creativity here! I just convinced myself after restraining for two days to go out and take advantage of the 10 for $40 DS10 sale.. :)

Can any of the automation controllers receive signals from the ds10a or do you need a W800RF32A Whole House Transceiver ?

you definitely need the W800 RF receiver, and software which supports it, such as the Homeseer W800 plugin.

I noticed that several other sites frequently refer to this thread, so I just wanted to add that the W800RF32 (and the DS10A sensor) can now be used with the Elk M1 home automation & security controller.

Click here for more info

This morning is a good morning =) This thread helped me a lot. I own a v572 and did not know the differences in that and the W800RF.

It leaves me with two questions though.

The W800RF is supported by HA apps, but since I write my own, can anyone tell me it is has an ActiveX or COM interface for my VB apps?

Second, can anyone confirm that my V572 will not work with the X10 (DM10?) wireless security contacts?

I started going to wired motion sensors to avoid the X10 traffic, this makes perfect sense! Yay! a lot of spare X10 parts are going to get used now!

Thanks, and for my current layout and HA screenshot (My event log screen) please see:

http://65.27.13.27:8091/

Thanks,
Vaughn

The V572 can't see the DS10A security sensors, because it isn't a regular X10 signal. It transmits a security code, so you would have to configure your HA software to associate that code with events.

The W800RF protocol is pretty straight forward, you can find the SDK on WGLdesigns.com. I believe there is some code floating around for MisterHouse (perl), and a xAP driver (whicn I think is in C), so you could use that as a basis if you have trouble understanding the WGL docs.

You can't pick the code. It's (randomly?) generated the first time the device powers on.

I have some of those devices as well, and the W800. The problem that I'm having is that they report their status every hour or so, but often I get a string of open and closed messages within .6 of a second. If this is not an isolated problem, how do you guys deal with this? I can't exactly have sirens set up when my computer is receiving events every once in a while that aren't 100% reliable. The only solution I can think of (that's a bit dirty) is to set up two on each door that I want to monitor and performing a redundancy check.
Thanks for any advice.

Quixote said:
I have some of those devices as well, and the W800. The problem that I'm having is that they report their status every hour or so, but often I get a string of open and closed messages within .6 of a second. If this is not an isolated problem, how do you guys deal with this? I can't exactly have sirens set up when my computer is receiving events every once in a while that aren't 100% reliable. The only solution I can think of (that's a bit dirty) is to set up two on each door that I want to monitor and performing a redundancy check.
Thanks for any advice.
are you saying you receive different statuses for a sensor within 0.6 seconds? one thing i noticed while i was writing the w800 interface for the app i use is the wireless signal is repeated 5 times. so a ds10a checking in would appear to send closed status 5 times in a row, but never would it send a different status within that burst. i do have an x10 rf repeater which may or may not explain the repeated signals (?) not sure about this as i haven't turned it off & tried to see what happens.

Quixote said:
Thanks for any advice.
Do you have your W800 working as a HomeSeer interface? Did you play with the debounce time any in the W800 plugin setup?

I'm using Girder 4, actually.

Sometimes I get 3 closed signals and 1 or 2 open signals (from what I can remember) or vice versa.

So you're saying this could be a software thing rather than hardware? I guess I'll have to talk to the guys at Promixis and see what they have to say about it.

Back