HVAC - impact of closing off unused rooms

As I suspected, you're cycling on the limit switch due to limited airflow through the heat exchanger which in turn is most likely caused by all the vents you closed. :angry: This is very bad and can result in a cracked heat exchanger. I'd immediately open up those vents again.

Zoning a forced air system w/o just venting excess air when takeoff or register dampers close is difficult. Even when done properly, dumping excess air into the basement doesn't result in any cost savings.

One way to do it is to increase airflow in non-dampered takeoffs with duct fans and then have the home automation system intelligently control those fans as well as the dampers to keep supply plenum pressure balanced. Results here can be mixed however as the furnace may still short-cycle (on the thermostat this time) because the heated area is now less than what it was originally sized for. This isn't as bad for the furnace but you will waste a lot of fuel because its never coming up to its fully efficient operating temperature. Kind of like the way a car wastes gas when it is only used for short trips.

edit:

Removing the filter fixed the problem because a filter normally provides some restrictions to the return air. These + the vent closures added up to insufficient airflow through the heat exchanger to keep the limit switch from cycling. You may be able to find a filter that flows more but don't depend on this for the fix as any clog or even normal dust accumulation will cause you to start limit cycling again. You may not notice this right away.

My system is AI controlled in the manner described above and the energy savings are impressive. However, to insure that everything is working correctly, I built a simple relay circuit that senses when the limit switch engages then latches the big red LED on my VisionPro thermostat. That way I can tell if the system has any issues. So far so good; it's only engaged once due to an unknown pre-filter still in the return side from an old electrostatic filter....

I have an interesting response.

I was playing with my furnace today. I had a new front door put in, so it was off.

I find that my furnace needs about 10 minutes per degree that it needs to raise the temperature in the house (I measured the time from going from an "away" (63deg) mode to "home" (68 deg) mode. It took about 9.5 minutes / degree raised.

Anywhoo...since we just had a new front door put on, the furnace was off. When I turned it back on, I knew it would be on for at least 40-50 minutes.

During this time, I hooked a current meter up to read the current the sytem was using.

What was explained earlier made sense...the more restrictions you put on the system (more closed zones) the higher the current should read. Make sense. My system is a Goodman, multispeed. I've never actually heard the fan slow down.

I started to close the dampers one at a time.

I expected to get a rough idea how much current / zone, so I could figure out (electrically) what a safe number of zones closed was. The funny thing, the more zones that I closed, the LOWER (YES lower, not higher) the current went.

Again, all through this time, I did not detect (audibly) the fan slowing down.

I have two register vents on the main air supply box (connected directly to the furnace). I had them closed. I opened one of them and the air was many times what is usually is. So, I was definatly generating higher pressure in the system. I verified that this felt higher air flow (pressure if you will) coming out of the register in the basement was higher by opening up the rest of the feeder tubes to normal positions. Then went back to the furnace. Sure enough the air flow had gone back down to "normal" flow...instead of blasting.

I did not detect any whistling, even with all the flappers closed but one. I only ran it this way for a minute or so, but noticed that the system had the lowest current flow that I had ever seen from this system!!

Was my system slowing the fan speed down? I didn't "hear" any difference, but I am not sure.

I'm also not sure that it was multi-speeding slower as EACH vent closed cause a small change in the current reading (lower). I had 10 out of the 11 room-feeder tubes closed.

Any ideas from someone more experienced? What does this mean? Or what questions can I ask my HVAC guys to get a better understanding of what this system did?

Thanks!

--Dan

Maybe you have some leakage in your duct work? If so, when you closed the register, there was another path for air to escape.

Just a wild guess though.

May be counter intuitive but how about this: your furnace blower was moving less air so it was doing less work so the current draw was lower.

Back