Hub in attic?

sda

Right now my hub is in the uninusulated garage and temps get to 100F-110F. I'm thinking about moving it into the attic to clean up the wiring. Temps up there can get to 120F-130F. Think that'll be an issue?

Right now my hub is in the uninusulated garage and temps get to 100F-110F. I'm thinking about moving it into the attic to clean up the wiring. Temps up there can get to 120F-130F. Think that'll be an issue?

Is it a commercial hub, or industrial? If commercial, you are probably stressing/reducing it's life. Increasing the temp. can only make things worse (IMHO).

--Dan

In the early 2000's I had my HA server and small hub in the attic. It ran fine for about a year or two. The only issue I had with the legacy free server at the time was that the CPU fan went out a few days before a vacation.

I was pushing my luck then. Today I'm not sure if I would do that again.

I think the first question should be what exactly do you mean by a hub?
From the replies I would say they think it's a networking hub but the term "hub" could mean your whole cabinet of equipment.

Uh, yeah. I'm talking about a hobby-boards 1-wire hub. This is the hobby-boards subforum, ain't it?

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=1561

You could try and see how it works.

All my 1-wire stuff is in a Leviton 42" panel in the basement. I used cat5 for all my sensors and have one run per 1-wire device star type installation from the early 2000's. A bit overkill with the wiring.

I do have about 4 RS-232 devices (also wired with Cat5 to the basement) in the attic (last few years). I haven't had any problems with those devices with the heat as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was Networking, 1-Wire, etc. In my opinion, it matters not what KIND of hub, but what temp. the parts can run up to. Commercial is less tolerant of heat than industrial. Hobby Boards or not... If it was hobby boards, could have been hand built by sda, replacing parts with industrial parts

:)

Back