How can I best secure my home without wasting money?

Zoo

Hello,

We are doing the plans for our new home and I now have to decide on security issues.

I am not a DIYer and I will have a company do the work for me. Still, I don't want to blindly do whatever some installer suggests and I want to be able to make some educated choices.

There are a lot of things you can do to secure your home and I would like to know which combination would be the most effective one. I am new to this, so any advice or resources that would help educate me on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Welcome to CocoonTech - this has been a great place get informatiom about a multitude of topics and technologies. A couple of quick questions to help you better. Are you just looking for security or security/automation or automation and security? How big is your new house going to be? You are doing this at the right time as you are working on the House plans. Again welcome to the forum. B)

1. Since your home is in the planning stages, you have a chance to get everything hardwired. I believe it is best to do so. This should not be a problem at all.

2. Always monitor all exterior doors.

3. Normally, systems include at least one stragetically placed motion detector. But if you have other layers of protections, such as window contacts, glass breaks, then I would be comfortable in eliminating the motion detector. On the other hand, many people like to have additional motion detectors, but I don't necessarily agree with this.

4. Consider window contacts for all downstairs windows.

5. Consider glass break detectors to cover all downstairs windows.

6. Ultimate protection would be to have both window contacts and glass break detectors.

7. Consider keypad locations....one near the door where you normally exit, and one in the master bedroom.

8. Always include 1 interior siren, but two or more may be necessary.

9. Exterior sirens are, in my opinion, not essential or even worthwhile.....it depends.

10. Consider pulling an extra wire to a high location in the house, such a an upstairs closet, for future installation of a wireless comminication unit, like a Telguard.

In summary......minimum essential is the doors and one motion. Other items are additional protection you should consider.

Thank you for your replies!

To answer the questions: I am looking for security, plus some home automation elements but nothing too complicated. The house is about 5000sq.f.

What about security cameras? Are they lower in priority than window contacts, glass break detectors, and motion sensors?

I installed security cameras all around my house and on each exterior door. However, because of the expense required to be "truly useful" I look at it as more of a deterent than anything else. I also placed my alarm siren box in clear view. The idea is to keep them walking along, but if they still want in they'll have to contend with my Moose screamers going off!

I would also go the extra mile in reinforcing all the doors/entries to the home. Most burglars kick the doors in. Make it tough for them.

Welcome to CT, Zoo.

As an aside, have you done any MP gaming with the 'Zoo' nick? RTCW? ;)

You should consider water sensors, tied to the alarm system. Typical locations would include laundry room (Washer, utility sink), near hot water heater, HVAC condensate pump locations, behind dishwasher, kids' bathrooms, near sump pump. Hopefully you won't be worrying about floods for a while, when things start to break down, but it's hard to retrofit.

Any alarm installer could install an Elk or HAI alarm, but when you start adding home automation 'extras', you'll want someone who does this regularly. Maybe HAI or Elk could help you find a local installer.

Cheapest and Simplest - often a big dog!

From there it's a combination of deterrent, then detection. How far you go depends on what you feel is at risk and what you feel it's worth to protect it.

During a build-out phase, I'd personally cover all windows - upstairs and down. I have seen thieves use ladders (especially true if you have any balconies). Also handy during automation - when it starts to heat up and the A/C kicks on, I like to know if my wife left the playroom window open or the kids' bathroom window.

There's so much to think about depending on how far you want to go... but if it were me, I'd include keypads (I like keypads where they're convenient to use, not to install - so at the front door, the garage door, and the master bedroom) - and call me paranoid, but I position the keypads where it'd be impossible to see them from outside so nobody can see if you forgot to arm, or watch you enter your code.

Motions - These are tricky; they're great for automation and for when all other methods of detection fail (which isn't that hard) but also the single largest cause of false alarms. I like to know what's happening everywhere in the house so I like to have excellent coverage (Really helps when remotely troubleshooting if something is a false or confirmed alarm); just use good sensors; pet immune if you have pets, and dual-technology (PIR and Microwave - both must trip to trip the sensor).

Glassbreaks are more important than most people realize - if someone breaks the frame of the window or slider and never opens the door/window, they'll never trigger the contact sensor - so now it's up to the motion to catch them. At least a glassbreak will likely trigger before they've made it inside and with any luck cause them to leave rather than enter. Once they're in, even if the alarm triggers, there's nothing stopping them from grabbing the laptop off the table on their way out.

Door contacts - of course cover every exterior door. I actually have a surprising number of my interior doors covered as well for automation... they turn closet lights on/off, and notify me if the kids get out of bed in the middle of the night. I'll soon even be adding one to the stair gate so I know if they're trying to sneak downstairs.

I agree that exterior sirens are often overrated - but that depends entirely on where you live. Where I'm at they're largely illegal - but in many more rural areas people look after each other and that might be enough to get your neighbor's attention.

With the Elk, I like using the speakers for siren and voice announcements, so I have them all over... behind the keypads and augmented in a few areas to provide good coverage around the house.

It'd definitely benefit you to learn as much as you can about what the systems are capable of and how much you want to do - it's so much harder to rewire later... Based on what all you think you may want to someday do, you can at least prewire now...

Thank you for your answers!

Some questions:

1. With motion detectors how to you ensure that you will not accidentally activate them yourself? Will I need to disarm the security system every time I want to walk in a room with a motion detector? Similar question about window contacts, especially if we include the upstairs windows: If I want to open a window at night to get some fresh air will I need to disarm the security first?

2. Regarding Glassbreaks, how will I know that they actually work? Some kinds of glass is very sensitive and can shutter easily, while there is also laminated and other kinds of glass which is tougher. Will Glassbreaks work equally well with all types of glass?

3. What about home insurance against theft? Would spending more for such an insurance and less on home security be a better idea?

4. Could some very strong deterrent measures be enough? Obviously a thief doesn't know what sensors and alarms you have in your house, but he can see things like cameras around the house. If the house looks like it has super strong security, wouldn't the thief choose a seemingly easier target instead?

Sorry if my question sound naive. This will be the first house I will own and I know nothing about such kind of things!!

Neurorad, I didn't do any MP gaming with this nick so it must be someone else!

Thank you for your answers!

Some questions:

1. With motion detectors how to you ensure that you will not accidentally activate them yourself? Will I need to disarm the security system every time I want to walk in a room with a motion detector? Similar question about window contacts, especially if we include the upstairs windows: If I want to open a window at night to get some fresh air will I need to disarm the security first?

Most alarm panels have a "Stay" mode and when you arm the system in this mode, the perimeter devices such as window contacts or glass breaks are armed, while interior motions are not armed. This way you can move about the house and still be protected.

2. Regarding Glassbreaks, how will I know that they actually work? Some kinds of glass is very sensitive and can shutter easily, while there is also laminated and other kinds of glass which is tougher. Will Glassbreaks work equally well with all types of glass?

Each glassbreak has different characteristics. Acoustic types listen for certain frequencies that are found in breaking glass. Other types are mounted on the glass or frame and measure vibrations. Most brands have a testing device that simulates breaking glass in order to test their models.

3. What about home insurance against theft? Would spending more for such an insurance and less on home security be a better idea?

Homeowners insurance protects against theft, etc. and your agent can help you determine the level you need. Some companies will give you a discount on your insurance with a professionally monitored system. Of course, insurance doesn't protect your life and safety from intruders.

4. Could some very strong deterrent measures be enough? Obviously a thief doesn't know what sensors and alarms you have in your house, but he can see things like cameras around the house. If the house looks like it has super strong security, wouldn't the thief choose a seemingly easier target instead?

Signs in your front yard, stickers on your window, cameras and any other visible sign of security will have a deterrent affect for a lot of criminals. Most are looking for easy targets and if they see signs of security will move on, but there are no guarantees.

Motion sensors would be set for either away mode only or active in locations you wouldn't normally go, such as a basement. Upstairs windows can be the same.

Quality sensors are tested for just that and can be verified with the manufacturer's simulator or other ways.

I have both. Insurance will cover any items that are stolen or broken, but it won't repair the damage and fear my family would feel if it did happen.

I'm not a thief, but that is the reason why I decided to install my siren box in clear view instead of in the attic vent. As I posted above, security cameras help to aid that. What probably wouldn't work is a sign on the front lawn.

Thanks for the clear answers!

How much maintenance do such systems need, particularly the various sensors? Is it something that I will install once and then forget about it, or things can break every now and then?

Also, assuming that I am mostly interested in securing the house when I am away, do I really need Glassbreaks and window / door contacts or covering the house with Motion detectors could be sufficient? If somebody manages to open a door or window, or breaks a glass, that somebody will proceed to enter the house and be caught by the motion detector. I assume that Glassbreaks and window / door contacts are only needed for security while you are in the house when you will have the Motion detectors turned off. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

you could think of it from that way but the motion will only catch them once they are inside, at that point they may grab a laptop or that TV over there on that stand as we run out the back door.... With the doors and windows done it then secures your perimeter so the alarm will go off while they are entering and may scare them off before they actually get inside to touch your stuff...

In the 5 years I have had my ELK installed I have never had a sensor 'go bad'. take your time on the install, and do it right, read and ask alot of questions.

Thanks. But how much is really the time difference between opening the door and being inside? Probably a second... do you think this one second would make such a big difference? Also, wouldn't a motion detector be able to detect the motion of the door opening? That would mean both sensors could fire at almost the same time.

I'm sorry, but personally I think you're going about this all wrong - you're trying to talk yourself out of installing a "true" security system and go with a minimalist approach. You're building a house and have the opportunity to get everything done with very little effort and the cost of a few $2 sensors. I'll give you one simple scenario - a back door/window is left open when you leave and arm your house. That could be a pretty inticing invite for any thief casing the neighborhood - it would also be nice to know when you go to turn on the A/C. I do realize that most of this thread is about pinching pennies, and I get that, but think about this for a bit...

Back