Homekit announcements

pvrfan

I'm not trying to start another flame war; just passing along some information that hasn't been mentioned here.

Broadcom announced on May 4 that their SDK now fully supports Homekit.  

... the SDK for its WICED hardware platform, which allows manufacturers to build so-called smart devices that can connect to the Internet, is fully compliant with HomeKit. ...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2921852/broadcom-hardware-platform-gains-support-for-apples-homekit.html

Interestingly, the article also says such products work as a bridge:
Broadcom’s platform also works as a hardware bridge that will allow accessories without HomeKit to work with the protocol. A Bluetooth light bulb, plugged into a socket that contains WICED hardware, could be controlled with a HomeKit app.

Presumably these 'bridged' accessories also speak other protocols.

Note that Broadcom is catching up to rival Marvell who announced their support of Homekit back in March 2015.  
http://www.marvell.com/company/news/pressDetail.do?releaseID=6296

As well, GE announced Homekit-compatible LED lighting products:
Beth Comstock, President & CEO, GE Business Innovations, today shared GE’s plans to engineer intelligent, color-changing LED lighting compatible with Apple’s HomeKit during GE’s Connected Future event, unveiling LED-enabled Intelligent Environments capabilities for cities, buildings and homes.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ge-intelligent-led-lighting-connects-with-apple-homekit-ecosystem-2015-05-04

I suspect we'll see more announcements in the run up to Apple's WWDC in June.

Craig

It probably is worth mentioning that HomeKit bridges are prohibited from bridging door locks and such - so officially it will be possible to bridge only a subset of existing HA hardware.

zenix said:
It probably is worth mentioning that HomeKit bridges are prohibited from bridging door locks and such - so officially it will be possible to bridge only a subset of existing HA hardware.
So, the example in the first linked article is bogus?  

nicholass817 said:
So, the example in the first linked article is bogus?  

Don't think this example make sense at all, as most anything on pcworld.

Most ZigBee and Z-Wave devices could be bridged - with the exception of door locks and perhaps garage door openeres. Bluetooth and WiFi connected devices are prohibited from bridging - manufacturers would have to release new, HomeKit compatible version of hardware.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/22/apple-details-homekit-compatibility-with-competing-home-automation-platforms/

A door lock that speaks native Homekit is certainly permitted--both August and Schlage have announced Homekit products.

The issue is when using a bridge to translate to/from another protocol.  I believe Apple is concerned about end-to-end security and won't permit bridging much more than simple sensors.  As well, if a device already speaks Zigbee or Z-Wave, they want to push the device maker to create a Homekit version.  The Marvell and Broadcom SDK's appear to make that a 'simple' process.

Craig

pvrfan said:
A door lock that speaks native Homekit is certainly permitted--both August and Schlage have announced Homekit products.

The issue is when using a bridge to translate to/from another protocol.  I believe Apple is concerned about end-to-end security and won't permit bridging much more than simple sensors.  As well, if a device already speaks Zigbee or Z-Wave, they want to push the device maker to create a Homekit version.  The Marvell and Broadcom SDK's appear to make that a 'simple' process.

Correct. If you want to replace all your gear with new MFi approved HomeKit enabled gear - it will be certainly possible. However if you want to keep your existing hardware and bridge it over to the HomeKit API - that is where the real trouble lies.

In other words, start over.  Apple says time zero = HomeKit announcement.  You're not allowed to disagree.

-Tom

Ahh, I see. That just pertains to locks, right? It appears as though Insteon isn't pushing new versions of their dimmers and switches...just the hub pro. I'm guessing it is a home kit bridge...doesn't support locks either.

nicholass817 said:
Ahh, I see. That just pertains to locks, right? It appears as though Insteon isn't pushing new versions of their dimmers and switches...just the hub pro. I'm guessing it is a home kit bridge...doesn't support locks either.
Hopefully we'll know better in a little over 3 weeks.  There's been no official word from Apple and there are conflicting reports (rumours) about what bridges will and won't be able to do.  

I started this thread because I think there will be more product announcements before (during and just after) WWDC.  The fact that there _are_ announcements now, I think, makes it more certain that WWDC is going to include more details on Apple's Homekit plans.

Craig

Multiple Homekit product announcements so far today including El Gato, Ecobee, Lutron, Insteon, and iHome.  Products...
range from sensors, to lights, to thermostats, to smart outlets, and come from a group of accessory-makers with a trusted reputation in the connected home industry.
http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/02/here-are-the-first-connected-home-devices-for-apples-homekit/

Several available to purchase now with others (like the Ecobee3) available in July.  

Craig

pvrfan said:
Multiple Homekit product announcements so far today including El Gato, Ecobee, Lutron, Insteon, and iHome.  Products...
http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/02/here-are-the-first-connected-home-devices-for-apples-homekit/

Several available to purchase now with others (like the Ecobee3) available in July.  

Craig

Wow, that's more underwhelming than even I expected. Just two actual devices from two unknown companies, a hub we already knew about, and a hub everyone expected? Ecobee3 was already WiFi, so being HomeKit ready didn't take much. That's all Apple could muster??? Other than the two new devices, we already support the rest.

ChrisCicc said:
Wow, that's more underwhelming than even I expected. Just two actual devices from two unknown companies, a hub we already knew about, and a hub everyone expected? Ecobee3 was already WiFi, so being HomeKit ready didn't take much. That's all Apple could muster??? Other than the two new devices, we already support the rest.

Yes, I'm sure that's absolutely everything that will ever support Homekit.</sheesh>

Craig
(And it is pretty funny:  you calling other companies "unknown".)

pvrfan said:
Yes, I'm sure that's absolutely everything that will ever support Homekit.</sheesh>

Craig
(And it is pretty funny:  you calling other companies "unknown".)

I'm not sure how you can get any more unknown than just announcing yourself to the world today. But I digress. 

As far as your sheesh comment, if you're impressed by the support they are launching with...ah nevermind, I forgot the fan boy I'm talking to. 

ChrisCicc said:
I'm not sure how you can get any more unknown than just announcing yourself to the world today. But I digress. 

As far as your sheesh comment, if you're impressed by the support they are launching with...ah nevermind, I forgot the fan boy I'm talking to. 
Are you trying to say that El Gato and iHome are announcing themselves to the world today?  So you didn't even bother to punch their names into a search engine.  Plug "El Gato" into Bing and it comes up with 12.6 million hits versus 9.1 for "Castle OS".  Entering "iHome" comes back with a list of the iOS-compatible products they've been making for years.  

At least you're consistent in your belief that you, alone, know everything.

Nonetheless, you seem to have forgotten that Apple's WWDC (that's "World Wide Developers Conference") is coming up next week.  There just might be more news and announcements to come...  

Craig

pvrfan said:

Craig

This is just the beginning. I saw many more cool gadgets at IoT world conference last month that were waiting for homekit certification from Apple. The Lutron hub now gives an easy control to their excellent clearconnect products without the need to root a wink. I will be ordering the Eve to see how good this stuff really works and will post my findings.

Back