help with elk sending out email...

I have verizon fios. The mail SMTP server doesnt not use ssl but does require authentication. I have put in the smtp server as stated on verizon's website and put in my username and password, but when i try and send the test email from the ELK, i dont receive anything. Verizon uses port 587 which i also changed in the ELK setup screen...... Still no good.. any other suggestions?

Thanks

Philip

I have verizon fios. The mail SMTP server doesnt not use ssl but does require authentication. I have put in the smtp server as stated on verizon's website and put in my username and password, but when i try and send the test email from the ELK, i dont receive anything. Verizon uses port 587 which i also changed in the ELK setup screen...... Still no good.. any other suggestions?

Thanks

Philip
Hey Philip,
I have the same setup and am able to email. I do use the IP address for verizon's server in the XEP's settings page. (206.46.232.12)
Remember email 1 is used for the ELK "test" email.

You may however want to check out this link if you have a westell router.
I had to return to an actiontec router to get the mail working. There is a lot of reading and there is also a link in my initial posting above to a an explaination where the actiontec originally had the same problems until they addressed it in a firmware update. The long and short of it if I recall correctly is that the chip used in the XEP doesn't properly acknowledge an inquiry from the router, and the router then drops the request for outside access. To the best of my knowledge neither westell nor ELK has addressed the issue, leaving the actiontec as the only option with FIOS that I'm aware of at this point. While it has a more limited NAT, that hasn't adversly effected me.

Back