Help me choose a T-stat

Based on the responses so far, looks like the HAI might be the way to go.
It's been extremely hot this year, so the OmniStat2 has been a good friend. Before going on vacation, I didn't have to worry about remembering to disable any static A/C programs. The ability to create different programs based on time-of-day and occupancy is quite handy. As I have upstairs/downstairs balance problem, I created a rule to run fan/air for two hours. I just pressed F3 on my upstairs ElkKP3, and I don't have to chug up/down stairs.

I used a touchscreen for a couple weeks prior to installing the OmniStat2. I personally prefer OmniStat2's stereo-channel dial and three "choose function" buttons. The OmniStat2 tracks a good amount of information on main screen.

Another response from Ecobee regarding how the public API might be implemented...

At this point any API's to be released will be based on a hosted web server.

Not good enough for me to buy one at this point, but I guess it's better than nothing (if it every gets implemented).

Ira

Thanks for the posts Ira - you're doing the legwork for all of us!

FYI, Heather Findlay, a top rep with ecoBee was posting in a thread over at the SmartHome forum:

<edit> I can't post links yet Mods, so just Google < smarthome.com Ecobee T-stat > to find the other thread.

I am still torn whether to wait for the Venstar Colortouch T5900 or get an ecoBee... I am putting in an Insteon setup and want to control it with an iPhone. I want the ultimate setup to control an HRV and a multi-stage furnace with AC, and I want to add a 20-minute boost button in each of my bathrooms to increase ventilation when required. (I'm planning to go with the Fantech VHR 704R HRV.)

Cheers,
Danny

Hi guys, one question for t-stats. Can they be locked so as to run on the program you input and not be overridden without a code? My kids and/or cleaning personnel seem to mess with stuff and we then find out it's off program or the auto fan switch is in the ON position fir two days. That switch is the only thing on the stat that says ON so that might be the reason.

Unless the{y} open up some features inside the house (not needing their hosted service) I wouldn't personally bother. Too bad.

I totally agree. The last thing I want is my thermostat being dependent on my external network connection and a company of whose future I cannot be sure. I am also opposed to using wireless connections for fixed devices (unless there is no option). WiFi is much more of a problem then my wired ethernet is.

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I noticed that someone has been able to communicate with their Ecobee, not sure if it will help anyone though.
http://jcs.org/notaw...utomation_hack/

He didn't exactly release the commands, but it's all kind of here written in Ruby - along with a neat demo on how he integrated it into the iPhone 4s Siri assistant.
https://github.com/j...iriproxy-ecobee

Obviously it's not direct connect, everything is sent via the web portal.

I got an email via Venstar that they are now shipping their Skyport key which provides wifi access to their T5800 and T6800 color touch screen thermostats. I believe these units do operate without "outside" access. Therefore, the units will remain useable if you chose to use them without the Skyport wifi access.

Back