Hard Wired Indicator Sensors

upstatemike

I want to monitor the alarm LEDs on some medical equipment but I want to hard wire the detectors to my Elk system so I'm not relying on a wireless protocol like Z-Wave for urgent alerts. Does anybody know of a wired equivalent to the Homeseer indicator sensor?

I use a photo-transistor that triggers an Elk-960 (happen to have that already) for my washer indicator and it's been working for over a year now.  You can monitor the relay's contact closure as an Elk zone input.

Phototransistor and Elk-960.JPG

The 12 volt wall wart isn't shown in the picture.

The only problem was getting the transistor taped over the light (doesn't have the best mounting geometry)

That is the path  want to take but was hoping for something that will mount easier. Seems like somebody used to make a 3 wire interface with a lot of plug-in options like LED sensors and dry contact sensors. Just can't recall who it was. I need to dig through the archives (I might even have some of that old hardware someplace). 

Looked in the basement and found something called a Smartlinc Light Probelinc which connects to a Digital Probe Break Out-Out-Box. This will give me a 5V output when it sees a light so I could feed an Elk sensitive relay and then an M1 input. I only have 2 of these so would prefer to find an equivalent current product in case I need to scale it. I guess the other option is to buy the Homeseer product and throw away the Z-Wave part. There should be a way to build a hard wire circuit that works with those sensors.

Back