HAI PC Access runs under CrossOver Mac, need UPB UPStart solution

eddy

Based on my update below, it seems that HAI Dealer PC Access does run under CrossOver Mac.

Still no solution for the UPStart UPB programming software.

(I want to be able to run these on a Mac without needing to deal with the hassles of a real Windows install running in a VM.)

Have you tried submitting UPBStart and PCAccess  apps to CodeWeavers "What Runs" for evaluation as to whether or not it will run on Crossover?

So CrossOver has a free trial, which is perfect for situations like this.

Even though PC Access and UPStart UPB are not listed in their "What Runs" database, I was able to install both of them in the same Windows XP "bottle" and both appear to run fine.

PC Access works, and I'm able to communicate with my Omni controller via the "Network" option, which is great!

Unfortunately, CrossOver does not support access to USB devices, so my Simply Automated UPB PIM is not seen by UPStart. After doing some research, it sounds like the PCS PIM-U may present itself as a "virtual serial port", which might work with CrossOver.

Does anybody have a PCS PIM-U that they could plug in to a Mac (running El Capitan, 10.11 and/or Sierra, 10.12) and then follow the first 3 steps here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/faq/usbtoserial

to see if the output of the diff command lists a device? If so, then there's a good chance that CrossOver could be configured to use that virtual serial port.

I have VMware Fusion which supports USB, but as I mentioned, I don't want to purchase a license for Windows and then deal with the hassle of maintaining a full Windows install in a "virtual machine" if I can avoid it.

The beauty of CrossOver Mac is that it is based on WINE and does not require a Windows install.

That's why I'm curious if the PCS PIM-U shows up as a "usbtoserial" virtual serial device.

So... if anybody has a PCS PIM-U and is willing to try the steps above under El Capitan (10.11) or, even better, Sierra (10.12) I'd still appreciate it!

There are downloadable sample Windows installs for virtualbox that will let you run without purchasing a Windows license.  They seem to be used a lot for testing applications against various versions of windows.

Back