HAI C3 Users: Satisfied? Alternatives?

Madcodger

We are finally ready to ditch our land line, and I am considering transferring that number to my cell account and using an HAI C3 device for the few landline calls we get and for monitoring the Elk. Any comments, opinions, suggestions or alternatives re: this device? Our cell reception is so-so here with iPhones unless near a window, but I understand the C3 has a high gain antenna. Also - I am considering mounting it in the attic and can't find temp specs for it - thoughts and info re: that appreciated as well. Thanks in advance. Joe

I would also be interested and would be mounting the C3 in the attic two floors up from the basement HAI OPII panel. 

Originally I was going to just purchase a combo phone internet modem and autoswitch the out on it using both phone and internet as backup to primary.

Here though I have kept a landline active and autoforward the cell phones to the landline when home. 

On a different but related subject I am also in the process of building a new firewall (PFSense) to utilize a failover ISP connection.  (in the old home had DSL and BB connections). 

It's no secret I have one.

I did use it for my home phone instead of a land line for about a year.  But then I got Sprint and Google voice which work together to create a seamless home phone/cell phone package (for free) that works awesome.  But that is another topic.  The c3 does not support caller ID, or at least it didn't with the phones I was using.  It may or may not support call waiting, never looked into that, but I bet it does not.

My C3 is in the attic, but, my attic is spray foam insulated so temp never gets above the 80's.  I don't know the specs on temp, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to put it in a non-climate controlled attic.  It is an easy thing to put the c3 more or less anywhere in the house because it only requires being plugged into a phone jack and then the dial tone goes to all phones in the house.  I doubt you need the elevation to get reception, but if you do, the antenna is off unit, so you can mount that in the attic and keep the rest of the unit out of the attic.

Not to go off topic, but if you still want to keep that land line number, but not deal with the 'Ma Bell' type companies, there are other alternatives such as the Ooma and ObiHAI (that use your internet connection).  I use the Ooma and ditched CenturyLink and so far really like it.

Yeah here its a WAF thing to keep the copper line more than anything.  Its around $60 per month today.  Up until the last few years I had two copper lines (plus multiple voip lines and multiple cellular phones).  I have Ooma too here today. 

I have been seriously considering C3 as well.  It would give me more flexibility with my other phone choices.  As BSR pointed out there are alternatives to Ma Bell.  I have vonage and would like to switch to something else but recently heard about them giving $10 a month service to people who threatened to leave.  Was $25 plus fees of about $7.  I just had to tell them who I was planning to switch to.  If I was to switch I would probably use Vitelity (with PIAF asterisk system) .

I have read of good deals on prepaid sim card for this.  Think it might have been TMobile.  Not sure how many minutes the alarm uses but I am thinking it is very low.

You have me looking now at the Vitelity service for doing my own thing with VOIP (have google voice configured with another VOIP line).  Best deal though is still Ooma just paying the new taxes per month....

Can you purchase prepaid SIM cards that have unlimited time frame use today?

I have a C3 that's been working great for over a year now.  I have AT&T cell service already so I just added a line to my family plan for 7 bucks a month and they gave me a SIM card. 

The C3 is for a shop I rent that doesn't have land line service, and the coverage is great even though iPhones show one or two bars.  It's also high up in the shop space where it gets pretty warm, and is inside the Omni IIe can with the panel.

Most of the time I don't even worry about it or remember its there.

neillt,

Didn't think of using my AT&T account.  I do have multiple phones on it.  Geez now noticing that I have been using them for almost 20 years now.....

So its only $7 per month for an added sim card?  I was thinking of putting modems in the cars now too as I have been tethering my carpc to my cell phone connection for internet....

I believe you can add a line on your family plan for seven bucks a month, but remember, that only includes basic cellular service (i.e. no Internet).  So, this may not be a viable option for your vehicles.

Unrelated to current topic I've been playing with those little combo 3G modem / router boxes to be able to utilize them for a backup to my internet.  They work OK.  That and I am migrating from using Smoothwall to PFSense.

Picked up an interesting device today that will provide me with internet access.  Thinking maybe of trying this for the carpc too...Nexus Hawk 2000WG

http://www.nexusisr.com/pdf/Product_Sheet_-_Nexus_Hawk.pdf

Thanks for the replies, all. Lack of Caller ID and call waiting might eliminate this option, but will check further. I primarily liked it b/c it gave an added layer of security for the alarm line, as the FIOS line is exposed and could be cut.

Re: VOIP, we use 8x8 for two businesses and really like it. Only problem is that you generally need special phones for their service. Will check on adapter though.

JimS said:
I have seen it reported that TMobile is $10 for 90 days.  Apparently after you accumulate $100 spending with them the minutes last 1 year instead of 90 days (which would be after 2.5 years).  Haven't verified that but its in the reviews/comments here:

http://www.amazon.com/HAI-70A00-1-Cellular-Communication-Center/dp/B001D9ZGK6

Look here for a special deal on Vitelity: (bottom of page):

http://nerdvittles.com/

Here is that deal.

http://www.t-mobile.com/promotions/genericregular.aspx?passet=Pro_Pro_GoldRewards

You would have to keep your comm checks to CS relatively infrequent to get by with that many minutes.  Like maybe once per week or so.  It sounds like you get 35 minutes for $10 with 365 day expiration once you hit gold status, or 30 minutes with 90 day expiration if you are not gold.

Madcodger said:
Thanks for the replies, all. Lack of Caller ID and call waiting might eliminate this option, but will check further. I primarily liked it b/c it gave an added layer of security for the alarm line, as the FIOS line is exposed and could be cut. Re: VOIP, we use 8x8 for two businesses and really like it. Only problem is that you generally need special phones for their service. Will check on adapter though.

I really am not sure about the call waiting, it might work.  The caller ID definitely did not work with the handset I was using.  Oddly, every once in a while it would show caller ID.  But almost never.

Back